• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions from purported ex-EA Viral Marketer who knows their M&A strategy somehow

Dystify

I've searched and it doesn't seem to be posted here yet. I thought this might be rather interesting for some of you.
Further "proof" (eh) for this person to be a real (ex-)EA viral marketer, aside from what's shown in the image can be found in this reddit post, specifically this comment, where I originally found the image.

(Click images to enlarge)

0zySS.jpg

The other two images:

Sorry for the lazy topic. If a post of this kind isn't wanted around here just let me know and I'll ask to get it closed.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh wow, I was around when that thread giving away origin games happened. I assumed it was just someone being generous because steam giveaways happen there from time to time. I've also seen that "TOR is fine" post.

Dystify

Don't apologize dude, thanks for dragging this off 4chan so I don't have to go there.

I personally got it off reddit. But yeah, this is a bad topic, in my opinion. I just found the content in the image interesting and wanted to share it here.

Durante

I'm not surprised at the practice, but if the 560 number is even remotely true I'm certainly surprised at the magnitude.

And here I am doing Obsidian's and Gust's viral marketing for free! (Not that they could afford it)

500+

Jesus. You know, I've often wondered about a select few GAFers and their pimping of games. I might not be paranoid afterall!

This pretty much confirms Dennis is employed by the Two Worlds 2 devs.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So.....who is EA gonna buy out next that everyone will hate?

Also, i will always find the trend of hiring kids and turning them into 100 hour work-week slaves for crap pay a disturbing practice. There needs to be laws that restrict these things.

Glix

The idea that there are 500+ of these people, JUST working for EA is really really shitty.

Makes me look at GAF in a worse way. I love my GAF, and I hate this.

You should have seen the number of people on the IGN boards on the same Ubisoft IP address back in the day. It was astounding. Like, they had their dozen or whatever *_NineONEONE usernames or whatever they were and then several and I do mean several dozen more "regular joe" users all over the boards. Good stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Also, i will always find the trend of hiring kids and turning them into 100 hour work-week slaves for crap pay a disturbing practice. There needs to be laws that restrict these things.

EA acquiring GoG..Watch it happen!

Vire

The thought that there are a handful of GAFers who are actually viral marketers is a scary thought...

NOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EATCHILDREN MAKES SENSE.

I can't imagine a Viral Marketer having inside information on who EA is going to buy out next. Information like that would probably be above his pay grade. Most of these viral types are low level employees who are hired to shill out on message boards while they pretend to be fan boys.

You should have seen the number of people on the IGN boards on the same Ubisoft IP address back in the day. It was astounding. Like, they had their dozen or whatever *_NineONEONE usernames or whatever they were and then several and I do mean several dozen more "regular joe" users all over the boards. Good stuff.

Ha. I still remember Whats-His-Face 911 on the Revolution General Board or GCNGB trying to convince people that Red Steel target renders were real.

Also I'm not going to believe some random 4chan post even if it does come somewhat vetted. Maybe if EA makes an unpopular acquisition in the next 2-3 months.

I don't understand the point of the chart comparing Marketing expenses and R&D expenses. Nintendo actually spends about 50% moreon advertising compared to R&D and they have made plenty of money over the years.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Viral marketers have been around on GAF for ages. It's half the reason why I never cared for those obtuse OPs or the drive by comments by people in other threads where "X product sucks!" Detective GAF used to be pretty good at sleuthing them out alongside EviLore personally checking every application of membership.

But yeah, it would be slightly humourous if THQ was bought out by EA. I'm sure they would enjoy getting their hands on the Saints Row IP.

I don't understand the point of the chart comparing Marketing expenses and R&D expenses. Nintendo actually spends about 50% moreon advertising compared to R&D and they have made plenty of money over the years.

The difference is that Nintendo is not full of mismanagement.

Victrix

*beard*
I love the thought of a GAF thread on some shitty game that no one likes filled with nothing but EA viral marketers hyping the game up to each other

Derrick01

Banned
The thought that there are a handful of GAFers who are viral marketers is a scary thought...

I've had suspicions. Some of the things that people defend EA over in various threads seems like it would be too ridiculous to actually be real.

Omikaru

Valve.

I know, I know, not listed on the stock market so Gabe would have to sell, and that isn't happening. Yak yak yak. But seriously, that would be horrible.

My actual bet is on Obsidian or THQ.

This is ridiculous. In no way could I see EA hiring people to pimp their games. Instead of reading this rubbish you guys should be playing the exciting new SSX available RIGHT NOW.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I can't help but feel sorry for the kind of lives these poor excuses of carbon constructs must live. This is like seven degrees lower than gamestop employee.

I wish I knew who they were here on gaf because you know this place is chock full of them. I would point and laugh at them for thinking they actually have what normal people call jobs.

OMG Aero

The idea that there are 500+ of these people, JUST working for EA is really really shitty.

Makes me look at GAF in a worse way. I love my GAF, and I hate this.

Don't be so down pal, you should play the latest hit game from acclaimed studio Bioware®: Mass Effect 3™!

2San

I've had suspicions. Some of the things that people defend EA over in various threads seems like it would be too ridiculous to actually be real.

The problem is that some "fans" are borderline delusional as well. So I my suspicions always leans towards probably a fanboy.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I can't help but feel sorry for the kind of lives these poor excuses of carbon constructs must live. This is like seven degrees lower than gamestop employee.

I wish I knew who they were here on gaf because you know this place is chock full of them. I would point and laugh at them for thinking they actually have what normal people call jobs.

Nah, you're worse than they are.

I do wonder about the...zeal, sometimes, in certain official threads. I always just figured it's standard game community worship/cultism/fanboyism/I-numb-my-self-loathing-with-obsession thought processes, but sometimes it feels like more than that. Not sure how much of this stuff is true though. Maybe he's a viral marketer for Activision.

Top Bottom