• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack: Canadian government not funding ED2, no money received in the past

Shiggy

Silicon Knights never actually received any money from Canadian government

For reasons unexplained, the developer was never sent the money it had been granted
Silicon Knights

While the UK is finally getting some tax relief for game developers, Canada has long been an attractive location for game companies because of its willingness to aid those in the games business. Interestingly, one of those game companies that had been promised funds - Silicon Knights - never got any money.

We reported last year that Silicon Knights had been granted CAD $3 million in government funding, and many have wondered about the state of Silicon Knights and how the money's being used. Well, as it turns out, there's no money to speak of.

"There hasn't been any funding. There were announcements and no money received,
" Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack lamented to GamesIndustry International. "That's one of the strangest things. So, at one point, there was a loan that we got. That's it."

We asked Dyack if his company's been following up on the funding, to which he responded, "Oh yeah, we're following up on that, but nothing has been received."

GamesIndustry International has also reached out to the office for Sandra Pupatello, Minister of Economic Development and Trade in Ontario, but we've yet to receive a response.

While Silicon Knights waits for the funding to come through, it's been tough going for the studio, which just this past holiday had to drastically cut headcount, letting 45 members go.

Silicon Knights is currently focused on its next-gen project, which we've been told is the studio's "most requested" IP, possibly suggesting a next-gen sequel to Eternal Darkness.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...y-received-any-money-from-canadian-government

That makes me wonder why. They were supposed to expand and help students with that "Eight" project.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see that they are still alive and kicking on Wii U now. It remains to be seen how many of the original ED team are still there to work on ED2; unfortunately, Steve Henefin, the master of the SK soundstracks, has left.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Ontario government is trying to fix a deficit. Sending Silicon Knights money would be the antithesis of what they are doing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You talk like they've confirmed ED2 already. Which is not the case. It's only rumors and speculations.

Shiggy

I actually thought Dyack said with his own mouth that he's making ED2.

Yeah, not that directly, but working with Nintendo is their only way to go for survival (unless they want to end up with further games like X-Men Destiny).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No, X-Men Destiny.

Too Human is a much better game than it's being made out to be. Xbox 360 was definitely the wrong platform for it though.
Even if you transplanted Too Human to Xbox/PS2, I'm not sure if even then I could call it a good game.

mclem

Epic trial ;)

That statement works on several levels.

(I have to say, one of the doubts I have about ED2 is a thought that Nintendo may be reluctant to bankroll a company that's going very visibly up against another company who Nintendo are trying to woo to their new system...)

Finally? Jeez, it's been how many years since they sued? I guess it takes that long before you can get a trial for these kinds of things

Do they even have a leg to stand on? I remember Epic making fun of their alleged lost revenues in this whole fiasco.

Combine

Banned
(I have to say, one of the doubts I have about ED2 is a thought that Nintendo may be reluctant to bankroll a company that's going very visibly up against another company who Nintendo are trying to woo to their new system...)
Yeah, but it can't be Too Human because that IP is caught up within this whole legal limbo stuff, and i doubt Microsoft is going to want to continue the investment with that one. Unless Activision is helping SK out (why would they after X-Men?), then that leaves Nintendo as the only publisher they have some kind of relationship with that is not antagonistic.

Kazerei

Banned
On one hand, I'm happy my tax money didn't go towards funding X-men Destiny. On the other hand, I don't want to see more people lose their jobs. Hopefully Silicon Knights can turn things around with their next project.

That statement works on several levels.

Its business i doubt epic would care about nintendo having a game made for them by SK, they didnt get pissy with ms for publishing too human did they?

conversely, maybe Nintendo cooperation on convincing them to back down and settle might go a long way to winning some Epic support.

Nintendo aren't a party to the dispute though, I don't see why it should matter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For people wondering why it is assumed Silicon Knights are working on Eternal Darkness 2:

- Dyack said SK were 'returning to their roots'.
- Dyack said they're working on a 'long requested sequel'.
- SK's history is composed of eight IPs. Three (Cyber Empires, Fantasy Empires and Dark Legions) are likely owned by UbiSoft. Legacy of Kain is owned by Square-Enix, and the reboot is likely coming from Crystal Dynamics (I think?). One is The Twin Snakes, which is obviously out of the question. Another is X-Men: Destiny, and that speaks for itself.
- Two IPs remain: Too Human and Eternal Darkness.
- We know SK ported their technology to the Wii U. They have Wii U devkits.

So, unless Dyack is blowing hot air, SK are either working on Too Human 2 or Eternal Darkness 2, and either likely for the Wii U.

Or it's some awful hybrid of the two for iOS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I guess they played Too Human and changed their minds?

KBLI6.jpg

For people wondering why it is assumed Silicon Knights are working on Eternal Darkness 2:

- Dyack said SK were 'returning to their roots'.
- Dyack said they're working on a 'long requested sequel'.
- SK's history is composed of eight IPs. Three (Cyber Empires, Fantasy Empires and Dark Legions) are likely owned by UbiSoft. Legacy of Kain is owned by Square-Enix, and the reboot is likely coming from Crystal Dynamics (I think?). One is The Twin Snakes, which is obviously out of the question. Another is X-Men: Destiny, and that speaks for itself.
- Two IPs remain: Too Human and Eternal Darkness.

So, unless Dyack is blowing hot air, SK are either working on Too Human 2 or Eternal Darkness 2, and either likely for the Wii U.

Or it's some awful hybrid of the two for iOS.

What are the odds that SK has either out by the end of 2013?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What are the odds that SK has either out by the end of 2013?

Fairly high I would assume if they have to report to Nintendo. One thing you can't fault Nintendo for is really long dev times (compared to say, Square-Enix.) I mean their biggest two games, Brawl and TP, which felt like they took forever, really only took two (and a bit) years. Plus Nintendo runs an even tighter ship on partnerships, I was actually stunned with how close to launch Ocarina of Time 3D came out.

conversely, maybe Nintendo cooperation on convincing them to back down and settle might go a long way to winning some Epic support.

Nintendo aren't a party to the dispute though, I don't see why it should matter.

though as nintendo is a silicon knights shareholderthe despute will effect how much profit sk makes and through that how much nintendos cut is, then again i doubt sk actually makes any profit anyway

elcranky

Banned
Do they even have a leg to stand on? I remember Epic making fun of their alleged lost revenues in this whole fiasco.

There is a non-trivial chance that Epic could be crippled/bankrupted by this trial. Given the information in the SK court filing, I think that the likelihood of SK either winning or getting a substanial settement are pretty good. Its seems fairly likely that epic breached the contract. The real question is what were the damages attributable to that breach. worst case scenario for epic is all profits from Gears + lost Too human revene, with the award tripled for punative damages.

Oddduck

Just curious is there a link for this?

Also to add to your list, Nintendo re-registered the Eternal Darkness trademark in November 2011.

Luigi87

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.
On one hand I wasn't exactly thrilled when the grant was announced for SK, but on the other I think about the number of people who got laid off last year =/

sphinx

the piano man
for all we know ED2 can can be like "sadness"

meaning, sure they are working on it, but doesn't mean it has been approved, green lighted or that they have found a publisher.

it seems like rumors about factor 5 sending builds of a Kid Icarus game and stuff. I think this is way too preliminary to get hyped in any kind of way.

that said, ED2 rumors are better than no rumors at all or worse, someone from the team confirming it is definitely not happening, like in tthat Condemend thread of yesterdar.

Neiteio

Just curious is there a link for this?

Also to add to your list, Nintendo re-registered the Eternal Darkness trademark in November 2011.
Wow, November 2011? The ED trademark was re-registered that recently?

meaning, sure they are working on it, but doesn't mean it has been approved, green lighted or that they have found a publisher.

it seems like rumors about factor 5 sending builds of a Kid Icarus game and stuff. I think this is way too preliminary to get hyped in any kind of way.

that said, ED2 rumors are better than no rumors at all or worse, someone from the team confirming it is definitely not happening, like in tthat Condemend thread of yesterdar.
Nintendo owns the ED IP. Nintendo would be the publisher.

Oddduck

Wow, November 2011? The ED trademark was re-registered that recently?

Nintendo owns the ED IP. Nintendo is the publisher.

My mistake.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/16/new-trademark-prompts-thought-of-eternal-darkness-for-wii/

It was February 2010 they re-registered the trademark. Still kind of recent being that it was 2 years ago. I don't see why they'd re-register it if there's no intention for another game.

The rights to the term Eternal Darkness lapsed, but Nintendo re-registered the game’s name in North America on February 10, 2010. This may be Nintendo simply protecting the term or perhaps Eternal Darkness is about to make a comeback either in sequel form or as a New Play Control Wii-make.

sphinx

the piano man
Nintendo owns the ED IP. Nintendo is the publisher.

yeah,just like Kid Icarus and they rejected whatever proporsal they got from factor five around 2005/2006. same case could be here, not to be pessimistic but with SK you never know.

The difference being sk know they cant make eternal darkness without nintendo and are so far up shit creek that surely they dont have funds to work on something specutively

Top Bottom