• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye (n64) has a spectrum emulator in it, wait wat?

acm2000

GoldenEye Spectrum Emulation Unlocked

Little benownst to the world all this time, GoldenEye (N64) has a fully-functional ZX Spectrum 48x emulator built into it. By feeding it a proper Spectrum monitor program and calling menu 25 to load a snapshot, any Spectrum 48x program can be run.

The emulator started life as a side project to see if Spectrum emulation was possible on N64 and was hooked into GE, the current game in development. It was supposed to be removed before release but was only made inaccessible and inoperable. All the registers, dependancies, and script required to run the emulator still reside in retail GoldenEye carts.

sauce

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So much stuff must be hidden away in non-famous games that no one bothers to dissect.

TheContact

Seems like this will be on a top x cracked.com article soon. If you like stuff like this go to their site and click on the video games section.

Didn't Rare start by developing on the Spectrum back when they were called Ultimate?

In fact, didn't Donkey Kong 64 feature a port of one of their old games, as well as the original DK? Memory's pretty fuzzy here.

Raist

Banned
Didn't Rare start by developing on the Spectrum back when they were called Ultimate?

In fact, didn't Donkey Kong 64 feature a port of one of their old games, as well as the original DK? Memory's pretty fuzzy here.

Yes.

jetpac.gif

Spent countless hours on that one.

wow that is amazing, this is one main reason why I love game beta's and hidden facts on games when something like this comes along out of nowhere.

SadAli

Neo Member
I would blind buy a new Rare game if it had Knight Lore hidden away inside it.

We British love the Specy, wouldn't be surprised if everything made here an an emulator for it in them.

True, I think I can trace my current refusal to sell any of the old consoles stacked up in the spare room down to me selling my 128K +2 to a friend for a tenner way back in the day.
Never recovered from the subsequent feelings of loss.

I've always sorta had the feeling the ZX Spectrum wasn't even sold outside of Britain, I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh. :p

I still find it pretty interesting how Rare was like the only European developer who worked really close with Nintendo back in the day.

Don't be silly. If you own the copyright to the game you can do whatever you want.

I know, I just think it's ironic that Nintendo's official stance is that all (non-commercial) emulators are illegal, yet they shipped a game with a general purpose emulator included without the consent of the original hardware makers.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This game... Jesus Christ, this game.

It seems we find something new hidden in it every five years now. Not even that. Truly an amazing game when it came to hidden stuff.

mclem

Rare owns the ZX Spectrum & the bios ROM? News to me...
Amstrad gave explicit permission to use the ROM data some time ago.

Amstrad are happy for emulator writers to include images of our copyrighted code as long as the (c)opyright messages are not altered and we appreciate it if the program/manual includes a note to the effect that "Amstrad have kindly given their permission for the redistribution of their copyrighted material but retain that copyright".

FLEABttn

Banned
I know, I just think it's ironic that Nintendo's official stance is that all (non-commercial) emulators are illegal, yet they shipped a game with a general purpose emulator included without the consent of the original hardware makers.

The likelihood of anyone immediately outside of Rare having any idea that was there is zero.

An underling doing something Nintendo doesn't approve of in a completely obfuscated way doesn't make them hypocritical.

N4Us

So much stuff must be hidden away in non-famous games that no one bothers to dissect.

People do still find secrets within the obscure titles, I just don't think those reveals get as much attention as this would though.

pa22word

Holy hell that's pretty damn awesome, love stuff like this getting out. I lol'd at the video posted in the source. Totally yo dawg meme worthy (emulators in your emulators so you can emulate while you emulate).

kingkaiser

I am totally expecting sometime in the far future an archaeological team to find a cartridge of Perfect Dark an discover that the correct equation for the theory of everything was well hidden in its code all along...

Top Bottom