• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Game Devs Want From Next-Gen Consoles (Capcom/Ubisoft/Nadeo/Epic/Crytek/DICE)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gamasutra put up an interesting piece where they interviewed developers on what they wanted from next-gen consoles, and got fairly long responses relative to normal. Some are a bit shorter though, and that will be apparent in their lists.

I'll use lists and excerpts, but there's a lot more at the link: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167557/what_game_devs_want_from_nextgen_.php

They're listed in order of appearance so you can find it easily in the article.

Preface:

Gamasutra said:
So what exactly should game developers expect, and what do they want from the next generation of consoles? We already know the basics of Nintendo's offering with the Wii U, but what about Microsoft and Sony? As rumors about a new Xbox and PlayStation continue to swirl, Gamasutra speaks with several top-tier game industry figures from Crytek, DICE, Epic Games and others to answer the question: What do you desire from the next generation of hardware?

Epic: (Tim Sweeney, Page 1)

List:
-All the main features from all the major platforms today.
-Improved social networking.
-Downloadable games (including retail, presumably meaning day one).
-That they're mainstream computing devices that hook into all your social circles.
-Very significant hardware increase, as otherwise there's nothing separating them from other platforms.

Excerpts:

"To be able to easily buy and download games on future consoles as we do in the iOS App Store would be really valuable to us as developers," says Sweeney, "and make it easier to get our games out without an over-reliance on manufacturing a whole bunch of pieces of spinning plastic that we'd ship to consumers."

"So, having all the things you'd expect from the game industry as a whole, and the best that's been done elsewhere, and bringing that to the console platform is really important," adds Sweeney.
There's another thing that Sweeney and Epic want to see introduced in the next generation of consoles: "Raw performance," Sweeney says. "The thing that separates consoles from FarmVille is the fact that consoles define the high-end gaming experience. When you look for the best graphics in the home gaming industry, today you look at Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and those games are the best out there, bar none. The big opportunity for future consoles is to bring that to an entirely new level by delivering a dramatic increase in raw computing power."

Crytek: (Carl Jones, Page 2)

List:
-A very powerful GPU with GPGPU capability (He wants Compute Shaders/Shader Model 5.0 to make this a bit more technical. Look at the excerpts for specific examples of what he wants to do with them if you're not familiar with GPGPU.)
-About a 10x increase in everything else.
-The ability to do f2p games and microtransactions much more easily.
-A very short turn around time for patch/new content certification.

Excerpts:

"We'd obviously be saying, 'Get a really powerful GPU in there, let us be able to do GPGPU effects.' I mean, man, what we're going to see over the next couple of years on PC, with GPGPU, is just going to blow your mind. It really is an exciting, exciting time. [Crytek CEO] Cevat Yerli has come out before and said that this is the next renaissance of graphics programming.

"The guys are going to have the freedom to create bespoke rendering systems for whatever they want," he says. "You can have one rendering system for hair, one for skin, one for the bead of sweat on your brow, you'll be able to come up with complete solutions for each of those, and they'll be super efficient, running on high-end GPUs."

"So, I'd be saying [to console makers] definitely 'give us a lot of GPU to play with, and 10 times as much of everything we've had before, please. [laughs]"
"I think that'd be really helpful [if the consoles were more open], because certainly we're seeing a change in models in games toward more freemium content, and a quicker response to your community," says Jones. "You can be very successful with a game by giving a game away for free, and then giving players the content they want. And if they really want it, and are really enjoying it, that's when they'll pay for it. That's appropriate. Why shouldn't we do it like that?

"... Certainly at Crytek, we think this is a very positive future for the industry, but it is certainly made significantly more difficult if to update your content you have to go through a prolonged period of submission [on consoles]," Jones says. "In fact, it's more than likely to kill games off."

Capcom: (Christian Svensson, Page 2)

List:
-More games as a service support.
-Very fast turnaround for patching/new content.
-More backend servers under publisher control.
-Making the barriers between consumers and publishers much lower like it is in the mobile market.

Excerpts:

"I'll tell you something I'm hoping for," he adds. "I'm hoping for a much more fluid means of providing updates to consumers, being able to have a much more rapid turnaround in between when content is submitted and when content goes live to consumers, to provide a higher level of service to them. I'm hoping that the networking and the processes in the future are built with that in mind.

"I'd like to see more server-based backends that are more under publisher-developer control, rather than being forced through systems that are bit more pre-defined by the first-party," he says. "That would enable experiences online that are not currently available in today's console marketplace."
"In many ways, I hope that first-parties react to what's happening in the PC and smartphone space, in that the barriers between developer and consumer are much lower there," says Svensson. "And console makers need to be aware that that's what they're competing against, and that's increasingly what the customer expectation is, in terms of responsiveness and engagement."

Nadeo (Ubisoft): (Anne Blondel-Jouin, Page 3)

List:
-An open platform.
-Barring that, as much freedom as possible.
-A lot of support user generated content and user creativity.
-The platform holders to respect their consumers and enable them to use the console as they like instead of fearing them/gating their capabilities.

Excerpts:

So what would convince a company like Nadeo to develop for a next generation console? "If we were to go on next-gen [consoles], we think it would be good for us if it was an open platform," says Anne Blondel-Jouin, managing director at Nadeo.
"I would say to console manufacturers, 'Don't be afraid of your players or your users,'" she advises. "If you're good at what you do, then they'll respect it, and they'll take it to the next step. If you give your keys to the players, you'll be amazed at how far, and how much better they'll make your new console, and you will benefit from it.

"Being too closed is preventing them from [accessing] all that creativity that's everywhere. ... I would love a console that gives me the tools and instruments to do whatever I want, and it would be perfect, and [console makers] would benefit from it."

Ubisoft Massive: (David Polfeldt, Page 3)

List:
-For the consoles to be very similar architecturally.
-For consoles to be connected online 24/7.
-For patching and adding new content to be cheaper and easier so they can service their customers instead of feeling patches are too expensive/difficult despite wanting to change something.
-The ability to run their business and add features to their games as they like without the platform holder blocking them.

Excerpts:

When running an online game, he says, "It becomes logical to stay close to the community, and have interaction, and have a dialog [with them]. If players make a fair point [about an issue with the game], you can change that. But now if I agree with [player criticisms], I start to think 'Oh yeah, to change that I would have to -- oh shit, it's just too much work.' And I won't change it even if I think [the feedback] is right."
Asked what he would say if he had the opportunity to speak to a console manufacturer directly, he replies, "Maybe a [question] I'd like to discuss is how you expect us to be able to run our business on your platform, with things like microtransactions, item-selling, auction houses, those things. How tight would you want to control those, and how autonomous could I be with my game, and how do I direct business with people playing my game on your platform? That would be a really interesting discussion for me to have."

DICE: (Karl-Magnus Troedsson, Page 3)

List:
-Significantly more hardware power.
-Platforms that are architecturally similar to each other and easy to develop for.

Excerpts:

"The developer heart in me says 'give me all the power you've got,' when it comes to CPU and GPU and memory and BUS speeds -- just bring it," he implores. "Because that's what we see as the future of consoles, that they really need to take a big step forward. Not a small step, that's not enough. They need to take a big step forward."

He adds, "I would also suggest that you give me a platform that is easy to develop for with a hardware setup that isn't too unique. The more streamlined it is with the other platforms, the better.
"I would inspire [console makers] to realize that they're delivering the quality HD platforms. Together with modern PCs, they are the HD platforms, and they should be the premium platform. They need to be at the forefront of what technology can do. The core gamers on these platforms, this is what they expect. You need something that looks and plays well, and sounds really good, and that's pushing the envelope."

Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/167557/what_game_devs_want_from_nextgen_.php

mik83kuu

Banned
Interesting list. I guess I sort of agree with their points, but I'm surprised not all of them asked for similar hardware for both of the competitors.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes, they actually mention they're staying PC for now in the interview due to this.

Interesting list. I guess I sort of agree with their points, but I'm surprised not all of them asked for similar hardware for both of the competitors.
Well, complicated hardware architectures actually kind of benefit Epic and Crytek in some ways, since more people might want their engines to abstract the differences between the platforms.

Vaporak

The running theme of "make them more like PC's" that has been going on for a long time has just made consoles less and less relevant to me. I already have a PC, make something different and interesting please.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The running theme of "make them more like PC's" that has been going on for a long time has just made consoles less and less relevant to me. I already have a PC, make something different and interesting please.

So, basically, they all want a PC?

I feel it's worth keeping in mind that almost all of the major Western console developers used to be PC exclusive, and only left when the economics of the situation made that untenable.

Jarmel

Banned
Well the integrated social functions are a given.

What I would like to see is a faster turnaround for patches. That's something both the fans and developers want badly.

magash

Guess, I'll say it. I'm very disappointed with the answers that are basically just "more power please".

Seriously...this is disappointing to be frank.

It's like this generation didn't happen. If you want powerful hardware go make games for pc's after all the pc video game market is larger than the console market.

The whole idea of a console is to simplify gaming not try to replace the pc.

K.Sabot

"games as a service support"

Nice try Capcpom, you just want to charge more for stuff you made during development time.

I am glad some developers are hoping to embrace F2P on consoles or at the very least I would expect AAA titles sold at budget prices with a strong
(non pay 2 win)
microtransaction model in place.

XOMTOR

Ummm, am I being paranoid in thinking there's an ulterior motive to this? Why is this something that's required for a home console?

StevieP

Banned

Ummm, am I being paranoid in thinking there's an ulterior motive to this? Why is this something that's required for a home console?

You're not being paranoid (i.e. that used game thing).
That's just what's going to end up happening if the rumours are true.

Leonsito

lol, I thought the same when I read Ubisoft demanding 24/7 internet.

Well, basically most devs think like this:

"This generation we f'ed our customers pretty hard in their behind... Lets f... em even harder next gen!" + insanely strong hw that only a few could afford to buy

Next gen will be DRM and DLC hell if the devs get their wishes fulfilled... and prices will go up because "It so expensive to develop for such an advanced hardware... wich WE asked for... But now we spin this around and say the customer asked for it..."

Twinduct

Oh please, we all know what they want ....
Same hardware specs as mobile phones!

Thus they can create one game that they can spread over all the platforms! And charge PC/ Console users $60!

In fact I would actually like to hear the opinion of more traditionally PC exclusive Developers on what will lure them over to the console space.

1-D_FTW

Some of these developers/publishers aren't even trying to hide their more sinister motives.

I guess. But I also think it's fair to say that the PC/mobile space has already made a transition to a different model. And whether the publisher motives are pure or sinister, they're going to have to start feature matching these (in a non anal probing way) or consoles are going to go the way of the dodo bird.

So they want Steambox.

wait..

Steambox HD EXtreme.

imageview.php

Nibel

Scumbag Industry

Wants more power to create new visual standards - complains about higher development costs

I have no idea

squidyj

Scumbag Industry

Wants more power to create new visual standards - complains about higher development costs

I have no idea

More powerful tech will make it easier to create resources and iterate on designs.

Seems like the patching process is a nightmare.

1-D_FTW

They can be. People will want it so they have to be.

Except for the part where they're not.

Sony and MS are connected to the customers 24/7. Publishers not so much.

Want to patch something? Submit it to certification and we'll release it in a couple weeks. What to do that more than twice? Get ready to pull out your checkbook, cause we're charging for that. You don't need more than two patches anyways. You can either roll it into DLC (that brings everyone revenue), or you can move to the next project. We're not hippies. We're in the business of software royalties. And the sooner the customer moves onto the next hit, the better for everyone. Legs? You want your software to have legs? Software doesn't have legs. Legs are for fucking. Get with the program, Jack.

SykoTech

-For consoles to be connected online 24/7

Great. So the next time there's some security breach or whatever, my console will become a paperweight for over a month.

Want to patch something? Submit it to certification and we'll release it in a couple weeks. What to do that more than twice? Get ready to pull out your checkbook, cause we're charging for that. You don't need more than two patches anyways. You can either roll it into DLC (that brings everyone revenue), or you can move to the next project. We're not hippies. We're in the business of software royalties. And the sooner the customer moves onto the next hit, the better for everyone. Legs? You want your software to have legs? Software doesn't have legs. Legs are for fucking. Get with the program, Jack.

best post evah

delta25

Banned
With the average expectation for the overall visual standard far surpassing what is capable within a reasonable budget and current gen hardware, seeing a hardware increases at the top of the list should come as no surprise to anyone. If you want the high resolution, 60fps, full AA with all the bells and whistles be prepared to pay a pretty penny.

more DLC and an anti used game system.

Mandatory credit card details required and put into a database that you can't remove even if you ring up and whine.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

While quicker patching methods would be nice, I totally understand why it works the way it does now. If a patch fucks up your system, who is going to get the blame? The console manufacturer. That's why it costs money to patch things, they have salary to pay to the testers.

Steaks

more DLC and an anti used game system.

Mandatory credit card details required and put into a database that you can't remove even if you ring up and whine.

That's what it sounds like to me.

Although more DLC has some added benefits of mostly being able to fix broken stuff which is positive for some developers. Everything I've heard about patching for console sounds like a horror story.

Being able to have a F2P game be viable on consoles would be REALLY interesting. You might actually see non server centric games be able to do F2P style stuff.

They can be. People will want it so they have to be.

That seems to be nearly impossible. In 2010 it was reported that 78% of PS3's were connected online while 73% of 360's and 54% were connected. You're always going to have some that aren't connected. I can't see the console makers wanting to cut off those that aren't connected. Consoles will never be PC's no matter how much some developers want that to be the case.

Saty

What would you want them to say? It's natural they will base their answers on past cases and stuff that are more concrete. 'New unthinkable control method' isn't really an interesting answer nor is it 'better'. Besides, we've got mostly burned by the new control options this gen.

I don't want alternative control methods. And they actually mentioned suggestions that are more than 'more power'.

Top Bottom