• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers (and publishers) with the most wasted IPs

Jarmel

Banned
I was thinking which companies have not utilized their past works and franchises to the best of their abilities. Some of these are nobrainers and others just seem to be forgotten.

4. EA

-Harry Potter
Oh boy. You have one of the most popular literary franchises in history and a world where the games write themselves. Yet the only good game we got off of that was a spinoff of the sport, Quidditch World Cup, and even then we didn't get a sequel.

The games seem so dead easy in theory to create a quality experience. Motion controls should have created a wave of really indepth HP games and yet nothing has happened.

Harry_Potter_-_Quidditch_World_Cup_Coverart.png

3. Sega

-Jet Set Radiooooooo
Atleast it's getting a HD release,albeit with half the soundtrack missing. Smilebit is dead though so this is just me being bitter.

JetSetRadioFuturebox.jpg

-Valkyria Chronicles
Demoted to PSP development hell where I doubt it will ever come out of and that's assuming they even make a VC4.
Valkyria_Chronicles_3.jpg

-Shenmue
I had to
Shenmue-2.jpg

-Sonic
Well it's getting better I guess. Colors and Generations were solid steps in the right direction.

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

-Comix Zone
Something with the CANVAS artstyle would be amazing.

Comix%20Zone.gif

-Vectorman
Dead and forgotten I guess

Vectorman_cover.jpg

Now a few of these were busts however they could easily be turned into XBLA franchises or something minor to possibly generate some revenue and keep the franchises alive. Instead they're pretty much left to die.

2. Lucas Arts

Which franchise should I start with? Indiana Jones? Jedi Knight? X-Wing vs Tie Fighter? Rogue Squadron? Empire at War?

What's worse is almost all of these sold decent amounts. It's also not like LA is busy doing anything else of value.

256px-Star_Wars_X-Wing_vs._Tie_Fighter_box_art.jpg

Jedi_Outcast_pc_cover.jpg

Of course the king is:

1. Rare

Where do I begin? Oh god where do I begin?

Perfect Dark
250px-Perfect_dark_box.jpg

Banjo-Kazooie
250px-BanjoKazooieCover500px.jpg

Conker's Bad Fur Day
516wluEIzmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Killer Instinct
KISNES.jpg

ALL of these IPs are still highly thought of and yet nothing is being done about any of them. Rare is stuck making Wii sports clones and Microsoft isn't having any other studio work on them. It's amazing that Microsoft wants to break into the family friendly market and yet doesn't utilize something like Banjo-Kazooie to do so(and no Nuts&Bolts doesn't count).

--

The whole industry just seems fraught with mismanagement. I mean I didn't even touch on Megaman or Crash Bandicoot(I heard Mind over Mutant was a wreck). Which companies do you think are failing to utilize their fanbase properly and what can be done to fix it? Would Kickstart projects be a possible solution next-gen? The budgets for AAA games are in the high double digits of millions of dollars. So possibly something on the level of a XBLA game with mixed funding from fans and developers might be a way to go.

Busaiku

Haven't people actually liked the PSP Valkyria Chronicles games more?
Or is that some other Sega franchise?

Jarmel

Banned

For the most part people hate 2. 3 definitely is better regarded compared to 2 and I've heard a couple of people mention the gameplay in VC3 is better than the original but that's it. It's hard to really compare until more people play it and can compare the story and other minor details.

Can't be VP. Two was awful. Don't know about three, supposed to be good. Sure looks like it could have been good since looks like the opposite of 2.

spats

Sony has to be up there somewhere.

Omega Boost, Colony Wars, Motor Toon Grand Prix, The Legend of Dragoon, PaRappa etc.

V_Ben

Banned
Don't forget about how many weird and wonderful games Sony has put out over the years. I'm astounded that we haven't seen Tomba 3 on PSN yet, in glorious 2D HD animation. That would be the day.

Megaman is like the perfect example of a wasted IP. He was probably one of the largest mascots alongside Sonic and Mario(not as large as this guy, but you get the jist) in the earlier years. He can totally appeal to all ages and peoples too. Such wasted sales potential....

I'd say Darkstalkers, but I'm not so sure that franchise has any real selling power.

cyborg009

Banned
I-Ninja.jpg
ps2_i_ninja_03.jpg

I had this on Gamecube and it was very fun, had a spyro the dragoon feel to it.(didn't know there was a PC version)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SCE

-Drakan
-Folklore
-Colony Wars
-G-Police
-Alundra
-Dark Cloud
-Omega Boost
-Arc the Lad
-Getaway
-Jumping Flash
-Legend of Dragoon
-Lemmings
-MediEvil
-Motor Toon Grand Prix
-Rally Cross
-Syphon Filter
-Tourist Trophy
-War of the Monsters
..ect

All and more are dead IPs that can make for good sequels,system sellers even -if done right- but Sony will never use them again, what a waste.

spats

SCE

-Drakan
-Folklore
-Colony Wars
-G-Police
-Alundra
-Dark Cloud
-Omega Boost
-Arc the Lad
-Getaway
-Jumping Flash
-Legend of Dragoon
-Lemmings
-MediEvil
-Motor Toon Grand Prix
-Rally Cross
-Syphon Filter
-Tourist Trophy
-War of the Monsters
..ect

All and more are dead IPs that can make for good sequels,system sellers even -if done right- but Sony will never use them again, what a waste.

Yup. Tragic. :(

FoneBone

EA is a good candidate, but not really because of Harry Potter (which isn't an IP they even own). That's not to say they couldn't have done better with the license.

LucasArts' near total abandonment of its back catalog strikes me as the most egregious offense.

Jarmel

Banned
EA is a good candidate, but not really because of Harry Potter (which isn't an IP they even own). That's not to say they couldn't have done better with the license.

LucasArts' near total abandonment of its back catalog strikes me as the most egregious offense.

Well the thing with the HP license is that it's so fucking easy to use. I mean if done properly it could have sold millions more than it already did. It's not like you need top tier writers or gameplay developers. Instead we didn't even get mediocre games.

LA is definitely a debatable #1. They have absolutely no fucking excuse.

idwl

there used to be this game where you play as this really cartoony looking martial arts dude with spiky black hair. Don't remember the name though.

I would say it's LucasArts hands down. Star Wars is such an awesome franchise, but truly good Star Wars games are few and far between. Same with Indy. And OMG, release Grim Fandango on steam!

Coxy

I know you already said sega, but...sega

Panzer Dragoon
Burning Rangers
NiGHTS
Dragon Force
Shining Force
Skies of Arcadia
Ecco The Dolphin
Streets of Rage
Sakura Wars
Virtual On

all of these are viable IPs if handled correctly and sega have either completely abandoned them or run them into the ground. someone else can probably come along and name dozens more too

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
there used to be this game where you play as this really cartoony looking martial arts dude with spiky black hair. Don't remember the name though.

Brave Fencer Musashiden?

Also, Monolith forgetting the Blood IP. But after the shit they pulled with Blood 2 (BARF! VOMIT! PUKE!), I guess it might be for the best that they haven't touched it again.

blood-logo2-type1.gif

-Valkyria Chronicles
Demoted to PSP development hell where I doubt it will ever come out of and that's assuming they even make a VC4.

Problem is, in Sega's domestic market, this isn't a "demotion", it's a switch to the more popular platform.

But yes, the number of fallow IPs Sega has at the moment is kind of amazing and it's a pity to hear they'll be letting them stay fallow for the foreseeable future.

Brannon

Sega/Streets of Rage.

The most recent one they released was a Streets of Rage port for the iPhone and iPad, and it doesn't help that for the longest time they literally forgot that it even existed. Fuckin' Sega.

Thankfully we have Bombergames with their awesome Streets of Rage Remix. So solid and crunchy you just wanna pick up a lead pipe and CRACK SOME SKULLS.

SCE

-Drakan
-Folklore
-Colony Wars
-G-Police
-Alundra
-Dark Cloud
-Omega Boost
-Arc the Lad
-Getaway
-Jumping Flash
-Legend of Dragoon
-Lemmings
-MediEvil
-Motor Toon Grand Prix
-Rally Cross
-Syphon Filter
-Tourist Trophy
-War of the Monsters
..ect

System sellers.......seriously?

Some dead IPs are dead for a reason.

kurahador

oh yeah, Monolith Production:
ezIET.jpg

sZ4RJ.jpg

these 2 games was an excellent stealth FPS with great humor to boot.
then all of a sudden, they decided to make that terrible spinoff Contract J.A.C.K. ugghhh...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You put EA on there and for fucking Harry Potter? Pardon my outrage but even just their Origin stuff trumps most of your others:

-Road Rash
-Ultima
-Wing Commander
-Wasteland (sold/gave this to Fargo -- thank God, hey go figure there actually is an interest. shocking)
-Desert Strike
-Mutant League
-General Chaos
-Theme Park
-Crusader
-Command & Conquer
-Magic Carpet
-Street
-Adventure Racing

Couple of these continue to exist in jank new iterations/reboots but yeah.

I should be clear that my anger is directed at the world and not you for a fun thread.

Jarmel

Banned
You put EA on there and for fucking Harry Potter? Pardon my outrage but even just their Origin stuff trumps most of your others:

-Road Rash
-Ultima
-Wing Commander
-Wasteland (sold/gave this to Fargo -- thank God, hey go figure there actually is an interest. shocking)
-Desert Strike
-Mutant League
-General Chaos
-Theme Park
-Crusader
-Command & Conquer
-Magic Carpet
-Street
-Adventure Racing

Couple of these continue to exist in jank new iterations/reboots but yeah.

I put HP on there because monetary potential compared to quality. Many of the games you mentioned would require significant amounts to produce a quality work(such as writing) and their upper limits in regards to potential revenue are nothing compared to potential HP profits. A quality HP game would be pretty easy to produce and could generate insane amounts of profit.

What is this nonsense?

The HD re-release has only 16 of the 30 songs from the original.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I put HP on there because monetary potential compared to quality. Many of the games you mentioned would require significant amounts to produce a quality work(such as writing) and their upper limits in regards to potential revenue are nothing compared to potential HP profits. A quality HP game would be pretty easy to produce and could generate insane amounts of profit.

The HD re-release has only 16 of the 30 songs from the original.

ok didn't realize this was a pseudo-sales-age thread. carry on with your crappy IPs, games, and massive leveraging

Mindlog

EA has many titles that could become modern AAA games.
EA has even more titles that are PERFECT for PSN/XBLA/iPhone/Android.

EA is the biggest pile of wasted potential since something with a substantial amount of wasted potential.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Valkyria Chronicles

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement and the generous consensus that people have in these boards that Valkyria Chronicles went to die on the PSP. Valkyria Chronicles II is an amazing game. Spending about 100 hours on it the game is as good or better than Valkyria Chronicles I. The only thing that I agree with is that Valkyria Chronicles I has better graphics (PS3). The story on I is also better but that’s a matter of opinion. .

Getting on topic my two most wasted IP’s are probably from KOEI. In the Super Nintendo days they had two games called New Horizons and Inindo Way of the Ninja that I would donate almost anything to Kickstarter to have them made :p

GQman2121

Banned
People need a reality check on what is actually selling now days, Vs. the actual cost associated with producing and publishing a profitable game.

Jarmel

Banned
ok didn't realize this was a pseudo-sales-age thread. carry on with your crappy IPs, games, and massive leveraging

I wasn't just thinking in pure revenue but you have to consider there are reasons why certain franchises are dead. In this case EA is completely wasting their license both in regards to profit as well as creating a quality game.

KAL2006

Banned
Suikoden
Chrono
Vandal Hearts
Killer Instinct
Banjo
Secret of Mana
Final Fight
Streets of Rage
Shinobi
Strider
PowerStone
Onimusha

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wasn't just thinking in pure revenue but you have to consider there are reasons why certain franchises are dead. In this case EA is completely wasting their license both in regards to profit as well as creating a quality game.

You could have said that about Wasteland for the past 15 years though until now. I'm not convinced that just because some suit has decided that a certain series isn't The Taste of a New Generation that they have good reasons for that.

I would say the IP I miss the most is the Gargoyle Quest/Demon's Crest franchises. What I wouldn't give for Capcom to return to this franchise. Even an HD Remake of Demon's Crest would suffice if only to test its current popularity. Capcom added firebrand to MvC3 ( i think) give him his own fucking game!

Top Bottom