• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve looking for hardware engineers (job posting)

corn_fest

Electronics Engineer
For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen. Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.
Duties:
  • Work with the hardware team to conceive, design, evaluate, and produce new types of input, output, and platform hardware
Requirements:
  • Hands on prototyping experience
  • Lab and measurement skills
  • System level design experience
  • Knowledge of embedded systems/microcontrollers
  • Experience with high speed serial interfaces
  • Experience with schematic entry
  • Experience with circuit simulation
  • Four years relevant experience
Recommended:
  • Board layout (analog and high speed digital)
  • Hardware Definition Languages (HDL) for FPGA and chip design
  • Power supply management
  • Thermal management
  • Design for test
  • Low frequency analog
  • RF and antennas
  • Signal integrity analysis
  • DSP
  • ARM / X86 system design
  • Manufacturing pilot runs
  • Failure analysis
  • FCC/CE/UL certification
from Valve job postings via Engadget
What do you think? Certainly seems to lend some credence to the Steambox rumor, and sounds like a far bigger product than just some peripheral. Or maybe I'm wrong, and this sounds like an accessory of some sort.

Either way, it's interesting to see Valve attempting to branch out into the hardware side of things. From what Gabe's said in interviews, I don't think they would get involved unless they had an extremely unique idea.

vitacola

Am I blind or did they delete the posting?

Found it. Searched for "Hardware Engineer" not "Electronics Engineer".

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Disclaimer: I know nothing of the steambox rumors, didn't read much into them.

The steambox is such a strange idea to me, it all depends on the specs of the box really.

Up until three months ago I was a console only gamer, now built my own PC and am loving it, Skyrim on Ultra is an amazing experience. With that said I feel the steam box either has to be cloud gaming or pretty damn powerful to be successful, higher than PC settings on medium at an affordable price to make a difference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Listing sounds like some kind of accessory. ARM knowledge is interesting.

Steambox coming soon, Valve time.
Figure I have at least a year to get my own stuff together. My guess is one more tock cycle to really get the power usage down, or make use of 28nm yields.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, peripheral makes a lot more sense. I'll drag up the patents Valve holds. Really interested in the kind of controller they want to put out.

Edit:

blARn.jpg
xophl.jpg

It's based on the concept of having modular pieces that can totally change how the controller functions. One configuration used a trackball, probably in an attempt to bring mouse-like controls to a controller.

They'd also be wireless via using a home wi-fi connection. A lot about this job posting fits the technical description of this controller.

Don't bother with this valve box shenanigans, they would get crushed in the console race, lets be real here guys.

Just stick to what you do best Gabe.

Pyccko

If I learned anything from Game Dev Story, it's that you need a hardware engineer to make a console. >:C Also, somehow working as a scenario writer is a prerequisite to becoming a hardware engineer. Hand in those resumes, creative writing majors!

blARn.jpg
xophl.jpg

It's based on the concept of having modular pieces that can totally change how the controller functions. One configuration used a trackball, probably in an attempt to bring mouse-like controls to a controller.

They'd also be wireless via using a home wi-fi connection. A lot about this job posting fits the technical description of this controller.

Mmm, I would love one of those. Give it incredible build quality and durability, 360 controller support compatibility, and 3 shoulder buttons (trigger + 2 bumpers) and I will buy it day one for any price.

vitacola

Sounds more like a peripheral than an actual console.
Why should you have a knowledge of DSPs and embedded systems if it's only a controller or something like that? Plus "Power supply management" and "Thermal management" sounds pretty much like some form of some low-power gaming device.

Jtrizzy

If I learned anything from Game Dev Story, it's that you need a hardware engineer to make a console. >:C Also, somehow working as a scenario writer is a prerequisite to becoming a hardware engineer. Hand in those resumes, creative writing majors!

This is maybe my favorite phone game to this day.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Valve have already hired this wonderwoman.

While at high school, she drove dirt-track race cars with her father, and then began designing new models in his workshop, eventually selling her own custom race cars. This allowed her to drop out of high school to continue the business.

Ellsworth then began designing computer circuits that mimicked the behavior of her first computer, the Commodore 64. In this way, in 2002, she designed the chip used in the C-One, a board which was co-designed and manufactured by Jens Schönfeld,[3] as an enhanced Commodore 64 which could also emulate other home computers of the early 1980s, including the VIC-20 and Sinclair ZX81. She displayed the C-1 at a technology conference, and she and Schönfeld received enough business to sell a few hundred units. This also led to Ellsworth receiving a job offer from Mammoth Toys, a company which hired her to design the "computer in a chip" for the Commodore-emulating joystick. She began the project in June 2004, and had the project ready to ship by that Christmas. It sold over a half-million units, in the USA, Europe, and elsewhere.

jeritweet3-png.23181

Wubby

Could just be the controller but why would you need someone with understanding of Thermal management, arm/x86 system design for what's just an input device?

A steambox does make sense in a world of closed system consoles with $40k patches. You have to figure that eventually Apple will make a version of their Apple TV with the same A#/PowerVR chip that's in their mobile devices. A steambox could compete with that.

Mostly this sounds like they are looking to design some kind of peripheral. With them being a private company and all obviously I cant say how much capital they have on hand, but I'm pretty confident they dont have enough to design their own mass produced console type device. Maybe with a partnership with someone who does.

But more likely a peripheral. Or perhaps even a Roku type of device for streaming games like Onlive. That would fit their distribution business like a glove and expand their business to customers who cant afford or are intimidated by PC gaming.

derFeef

Can't wait for the Valve device that hooks directly into my brain so I can experience Half-Life 3 in it's fullest.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Valve should have a Kickstarter for the hardware.

Goal raise 5 billion dollars so Valve will release a Steam Console.

morningbus

Uhhhhhhh that tweet is really interesting.

It doesn't tell us much more than the job posting. You can interpret it to mean basically anything. That's why she was allowed to tweet it, probably.

morningbus

That sounds to me like she is talking about the Sony/MS/Nintendo hardware. Besides, nobody would be dumb enough to just blurt out something that big in a tweet.

"Next Gen" can mean really futuristic, too. Or "game changing" technology.

Fredescu

Gabe has been constantly talking about wearable computers and bio feedback devices to anyone who'll listen for the last little while. I doubt this is anything as simple as a console.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Why should you have a knowledge of DSPs and embedded systems if it's only a controller or something like that? Plus "Power supply management" and "Thermal management" sounds pretty much like some form of some low-power gaming device.

Well, it really depends on what kind of controller its is. It might not be as simple as a traditional one.

Valve has also been working very closely with the Sixense guys for Hydra support in Portal 2 on PC so maybe this is somewhat related.

Fredescu

For some context to my last post: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...ble-computers-rewarding-players-and-whether-w

Gabe said:
You know, where some of the things we’re looking at longer term are just spending a lot of time thinking about input devices. We’re also looking at some of the emerging output technologies that are coming along and trying to figure out how much of an impact that they’re gonna have on our designs. So we mock stuff up in our hardware labs and try and figure out different, sort of game fragments and see how those things work. But it does tend to be pretty focused on trying to get things to the point where we can get it in front of customers so they can start showing us what are the good ideas and what are the bad ideas.

Gabe said:
Yeah, I mean there’s a surprising amount going on with new – they used to be called wearable computing before those all got kind of set on fire by losing investment firms hundreds of millions of dollars, so nobody wants to call them wearable computing, but they sort of look like the old wearable computing solutions, the difference being that they’re way higher resolution, way lighter weight, much better battery life, and things like that. It seems like just about the time that everybody gave up on them they actually started to become interesting, so we’ve been seeing a lot of stuff go on in that space that gets us excited. We’re trying to get our–the experiments we’ve been doing in–you know we did a ton of work on biofeedback, on biometrics, and that’ll, you know, from our point of view we were like “okay, this is all sort of proven out” and we’re just sort of scratching our heads trying to figure out the best way to get that hardware out to customers without something where we’d just say “okay, this works.” it’s not a question of whether or not this is going to be useful for customers, whether or not it’s going to be useful for content developers, you know, it’s figuring out the best way we can get these into people’s hands.

So we’re thinking of trying to figure out how to do the equivalent of the [Team Fortress] incremental approach in software design and try to figure out how would you get something similar to that in the hardware space as well. The sort of old method of, you know, let’s go make a giant pile of inventory and hope that some set of applications emerge to justify this giant hardware investment doesn’t seem to be the – very consistent with what we’ve seen to be the fastest ways to move stuff forward, so we’re trying to come up with an alternative to that that gives us the ability to iterate more rapidly. That stuff we’re like “this is good,” now we just need to figure out how we can start giving these to customers and iterating on the design quickly enough without having to go off and buy ten million of them and then find out we did something mildly stupid and then having to throw them all away and start over.

Gabe said:
Well it’s exciting when you, you know, some of the prototypes that I’ve seen are basically the equivalent of a hundred inch display with considerably lower power requirements than a typical smartphone display, so if you just look at it straight up as a presentation technology that’s pretty interesting. It seems like some of the hard engineering problems are getting solved and a hundred inch display is way better than a ten inch display. The other thing that’s interesting is that a lot of these systems tend to allow you to overlap on a per-pixel basis the sort of real world with the virtual world. That’s sort of a more speculative class of applications, it requires obviously a lot of computation to try to figure out how to integrate pixels from the real world with pixels from the virtual world. So is that a for sure that that’ll end up resulting in a lot of interesting augmented reality games? I think that that’s pretty speculative, but if somebody here said “I’ve got a – I want to try something,

Gabe said:
Well, if we have to sell hardware we will. We have no reason to believe we’re any good at it, it’s more we think that we need to continue to have innovation and if the only way to get these kind of projects started is by us going and developing and selling the hardware directly then that’s what we’ll do. It’s definitely not the first thought that crosses our mind; we’d rather hardware people that are good at manufacturing and distributing hardware do that. We think it’s important enough that if that’s what we end up having to do then that’s what we end up having to do.

Some crazy shit be happening at Valve. This isn't another Xbox.

They're also looking for a firmware engineer: this does look like an accessory of some kind.

Software Engineer—Firmware
Do you like programming directly to the bare metal? If so, as a Valve firmware engineer you will write the code that brings all kinds of new devices to life. Your expertise in writing firmware that communicates via various protocols will let players interact with their games in ways they’ve never experienced before. By efficiently communicating between PC and hardware, the microcontroller code you write will be the backbone of various input and output devices.
Duties:
Research, design and develop specialized software systems for microcontrollers.
Implement software that communicates with various hardware peripherals via industry standard communication protocols including SPI, I2C, USB and serial.
Work directly with the hardware team on designing efficient electronic designs.
Write firmware to communicate with the PC using Bluetooth or other wireless protocols.
Requirements:
Four years experience with:
C programming on embedded systems, C++ experience strongly desired
Industry standard communications protocols including SPI, I2C, USB.
ARM processor programming, including ARM7, ARM9, Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M3.
Recommended:
Knowledge of wireless protocols like Bluetooth or ZigBee.
Familiarity with schematic entry, electronics layout and circuit debugging.
Experience developing software systems for use in a micro kernel environment.
Familiarity with industry standard firmware development IDEs such as Keil uVision or IAR Workbench.
Familiarity with DSP programming concepts and signal processing algorithms.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oh god you're kidding me, that's the chick who Bobito interviewed on ALWW! Her story was so fascinating and really quite sad. Valve sure can pick 'em.

quite sad? Judging from wiki it's quite a success story. The girl is a child prodigy, established a profitable business being at school, a talented individual, blah-blah-blah.

quite sad? Judging from wiki it's quite a success story. The girl is a child prodigy, established a profitable business being at school, a talented individual, blah-blah-blah.
Have you listened to the interview? Her mother died when she was young and her dad had to give up his career to look after her iirc. He bought a gas station and worked it for the rest of his career. Not doubting her success, just she had some bumps along the way.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thank you for the offer Valve, but I'm not ready to work for you yet. Maybe when I need a decent retirement job I'll consider it.

Top Bottom