• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP) info roundup [New: Complete trailer up]

Aeana

Since a whole ton of information about Nayuta no Kiseki has come about, I figured it'd be a good time to create a new thread to consolidate everything.

sFhDt.jpg

Nayuta no Kiseki, while being named as a Kiseki game, does not relate directly to any of the previous games, including Trails in the Sky. Instead, they've apparently taken some concepts from the Kiseki series and decided to create a brand new game in a different world. This allowed them to make some major changes that they feel they wouldn't have been able to make otherwise. It has been in development since about the same time Zero no Kiseki began development, two years ago at least.

Characters/world

nhn8f.jpg

The game takes place in a world that is believed to have an "end." The inhabitants have been told this for as long as anybody could remember. In all directions, a vast ocean called the Ciencia Sea spreads seemingly infinitely, but the world is flat, and there is an end.

Nayuta Herschel is the main character. He is a student at Sanseriz academy, and has a passion for looking to the stars with a sextant left to him by his father. He lives on the large island in the image above, called the Isle of Remnants. The island is named as such because remnants of ruins and shooting stars crashing to the surface is a common occurrence there. Along with these ruins have come mysterious stones which the inhabitants have named "star fragments." If light is shined through these fragments just so, a vision of a beautiful world with many natural lands and creatures can be seen. The people have named this phantom world "Lost Heaven" and the visions have convinced Nayuta that there must be more to the world than what they can see from their island.

xqhih.jpg

There are two other characters known at this point. Cigna Alhazen is Nayuta's childhood friend and business partner - a business formed to aid the people of the island in any way they might need. The other character is the mysterious girl Noi, whom Nayuta apparently encounters along his adventure. She once had a mysterious object called the "master gear," although it ha sapparently been stolen from her by someone.

Gameplay

It's an action RPG, instead of being turn-based like the previous games. However, this time, Falcom is being a bit bold, proclaiming that just as Dragon Slayer began the action RPG genre, Nayuta no Kiseki will be the first game in a new genre of "story action RPGs." Their aim for the game is to have a game with Ys-style action and Kiseki-scale storytelling. Kondo says that they began development of the game focusing on the boss battles. They didn't want to just make big bosses, as Falcom is already known for, but to make each boss an important part of the story, so every boss battle will feel like it's a final boss.

kpvzV.jpg
PnDQ7.jpg

Being an action RPG, there are no battle transitions, and the camera can be freely rotated 360 degrees. In combat, you control Nayuta and can use his sword and skills. You can also command Noi to use magic, essentially allowing you to control two characters at once. Kondo says that they're taking complaints from fans to heart, ensuring that combat will be speedy and won't slow down the pace of the game.

Y1gyZ.jpg
sLpt9.jpg
yq3HG.jpg

The game will have five difficulty levels. Equipment changes will be visible in the game, and there will be an extensive quest system that will most likely be bigger than what's in the other Kiseki games. The game also features a season system, although little is known about it at the moment aside from the fact that Nayuta is somehow able to control them at will.

cXgM6.jpg

---------------------------------------
Updates
---------------------------------------

April 20, 2012 - Gameplay video
May 25, 2012 - Full trailer

I'm excited. Aena-san, what do you think are the chances this gets localized in the west before previous entries in the series?

Lain

Is it known yet who is the artist working on this, and that made the teaser that was first posted in the other thread?

Wow, Ys combat & Kiseki story?! Yes please.

I hope that this game being a new entry of a series will increase it's chances of an English localization & release. But then it's again it's a PSP title. So best we can hope for us a PSN release. Still, I'd like to play this.

Probably just going to have to import this...

wrowa

Not being related to the other Kiseki games might make this a likely candidate for a localization ... if it weren't a PSP game, that is.

In any case, the concept looks cool, I'm not much of a fun of turning the series into an ARPG, though. Falcom already has enough ARPG franchises...

Varion

In any case, the concept looks cool, I'm not much of a fun of turning the series into an ARPG, though. Falcom already has enough ARPG franchises...
It's a one off. They've already said they're working on a proper story sequel to Ao, this is just them doing something new (and using the Kiseki name because it sells better than any of their other franchises I guess).

Can't wait for this. Pretty hopeful for the fact there's no item icons on the interface as well. One of the things I loved about Felghana and Origin was that you had to do every boss on a single life bar and couldn't fall back on healing items a crutch. If they're using the same principle here then the boss fights could really be something great.

Pardon my ignorance regarding Falcom games, but this is the sequel to Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky, correct?

I've never been a fan of Y's combat and have seen a lot of praise heaped on Trails, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Aeana

Pardon my ignorance regarding Falcom games, but this is the sequel to Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky, correct?

I've never been a fan of Y's combat and have seen a lot of praise heaped on Trails, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Errr, well... After Trails in the Sky, there are 4 other games. This game is not directly related to Trails story-wise, while those other 4 are.

Anyway, I think that were this not on PSP, its chances of localization would be pretty high. However, I'm not so sure now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Game looks nice, imo. Like Zwei 2, kinda. I want to see it in motion!

They could always put the PSP version up as a digital download and people with Vitas and PSPs could play it, but I guess it's easier said than done.

Aeana said:
Kondo says that they're taking complaints from fans to heart, ensuring that combat will be speedy and won't slow down the pace of the game.
I'd hope so. Hopefully it's better than Zwei/Gurumin.

Aeana

Game looks nice, imo. Like Zwei 2, kinda. I want to see it in motion!

They could always put the PSP version up as a digital download and people with Vitas and PSPs could play it, but I guess it's easier said than done.

I'd hope so. Hopefully it's better than Zwei/Gurumin.

Heh, well, actually apparently the complaints from people were about the combat in the Kiseki games slowing down the pace of the game. Though I should hope that Falcom got plenty of feedback about how boring the combat is in Zwei and Gurumin, too, but I'm not as confident about that. However, Kondo specifically says Ys-style action, so I'm staying positive.

Errr, well... After Trails in the Sky, there are 4 other games. This game is not directly related to Trails story-wise, while those other 4 are.

Ah, alright. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

I'm not sure how it'll work being similar to Y's (as I haven't played too awfully much of that series either), but I definitely like what I hear about the boss battles. I think that having memorable and genuinely fun boss fights can make up for any sort of monotony in normal combat. I'd be interesting in hearing more about their approach to this.

iavi

Love the environmental design. Really don't like the character designs. I hope they nail that mix they're going for.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, I think that were this not on PSP, its chances of localization would be pretty high. However, I'm not so sure now.
Really? If it were on Vita I'd think it would go from no chance at all to just extremely unlikely. Unless it just doesn't have as much text as the other games in the series.

These words, I'm not sure I can comprehend them together. I guess if you like turn-based a lot more than action you'd probably prefer Trails. I enjoyed Trails FC, but gameplay-wise Ys is on another level. If it does have "Ys-style" combat I think that would be pretty awesome.

Aeana

Really? If it were on Vita I'd think it would go from no chance at all to just extremely unlikely. Unless it just doesn't have as much text as the other games in the series.

These words, I'm not sure I can comprehend them together. I guess if you like turn-based a lot more than action you'd probably prefer Trails. I enjoyed Trails FC, but gameplay-wise Ys is on another level. If it does have "Ys-style" combat I think that would be pretty awesome.

That's probably true. The Vita isn't doing so well.
Last night I was like, "hey, remember the Vita?" and a friend of mine was like "was that like the Playdia? Or the Pippin?"

Mandoric

Banned
Last night I was like, "hey, remember the Vita?" and a friend of mine was like "was that like the Playdia?

Ouch, that's haaarsh. ; ;

How good would this be as a first step into Trails? I've always been a little afraid of Falcom because when I was a little boy I picked SaGa 2 over the SNES port of Ys, and then was (really busy) when TitS came out, but I think it may finally be time.

Aeana

Ouch, that's haaarsh. ; ;

How good would this be as a first step into Trails? I've always been a little afraid of Falcom because when I was a little boy I picked SaGa 2 over the SNES port of Ys, and then was (really busy) when TitS came out, but I think it may finally be time.

Well, I suppose so. It seems like it's going to be really different from the real Trails games, but you won't be lost going into it at least, since it's not connected to the other games.

I'm looking forward to this, but also hoping that the gameplay style doesn't override the turn based combat of the Trails games we've been seeing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Last night I was like, "hey, remember the Vita?" and a friend of mine was like "was that like the Playdia? Or the Pippin?"
XSEED seems to be piling on the Vita support anyway, so maybe it has a chance.

iavi

XSEED seems to be piling on the Vita support anyway, so maybe it has a chance.

I think so too, though whether that chance will come before/after the other Kiseki's is what the kicker is, me thinks. It's not connected, but if it's comparable in txt, it might make more sense to finish the others first.

Mandoric

Banned
Well, I suppose so. It seems like it's going to be really different from the real Trails games, but you won't be lost going into it at least, since it's not connected to the other games.

Then I'll try it! Worst case, I'm out \10k and I know it's my own fault. It won't even be the second-worst gaming "maybe I'll like this" I've tried this year.

Eusis

Looks awesome!

So I assume we aren't ever going to see TiTS 2 out here? :(
I'll wait to hear how Falcom KEEPS doing for Steam. If they have more success there than PSP though then I'll worry more about Zero/Ao/Nayuta than Sora 2/3.

Actually, I'm not too concerned about the other three Kiseki games. Nayuta being unrelated helps, and it looks REALLY GOOD so I bet it'd convert nicely to Vita, while Zero's actively getting a Vita port. Unless that tanks I imagine Ao will get the same treatment, thus it may become more a matter of when, not if. But maybe I'm just being too optimistic?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ys Style Action with Kiseki storytelling?

I literally cannot stop ejaculating.

While the graphics aren't impressive, I do like the art style quite a bit.

I love me some Falcom.

Aeana

Play-Asia finally listed both versions of the game. I'm still trying to decide how to go. It'll be cheaper from P-A, but the pre-order goodies aren't necessarily guaranteed. Falcom's shipping is so crazy high, though.

Well, I want the LE. I'm not at all familiar with HMV, though.

In that case it's 88 USD vs. 100 USD. You are required to pay for more expedited shipping (EMS) for HMV, however.

hmv.co.jp/en/

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/5024617

Most games don't require knowledge of Japanese to search for them off of the English website, as you can see from the "Ao no Kiseki" suggestions below. I switched from using Play-Asia to HMV a while ago. They put pretty much everything on sale.

Aeana

In that case it's 88 USD vs. 100 USD. You are required to pay for more expedited shipping (EMS) for HMV, however.

hmv.co.jp/en/

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/5024617

Most games don't require knowledge of Japanese to search for them off of the English website, as you can see from the "Ao no Kiseki" suggestions below. I switched from using Play-Asia to HMV a while ago. They put pretty much everything on sale.

Yeah, I found it. Japanese isn't an issue for me. :)

I'm always wary of trying a new retailer, but searching around the internet, I see positive reviews all over the place. My main thing is that with P-A, I can get stuff in one day if I use FedEx. I expect it won't be that fast from HMV, but hopefully I could still get it within 2-3?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Interesting take on the Kiseki/Dragon Slayer similarities in terms of franchise building. Was wondering why they would continue to use that brand at first if the game had no relation to The Legend of Heroes or the Kiseki series itself but now it makes sense.

Mandoric

Banned

I'm always wary of trying a new retailer, but searching around the internet, I see positive reviews all over the place. My main thing is that with P-A, I can get stuff in one day if I use FedEx. I expect it won't be that fast from HMV, but hopefully I could still get it within 2-3?

I've never done HMV, went stright from EMS to "hey ***** can you take this from Amazon and then mail it to me", but I think they're pretty quick.

EMS is 3-5 days, depending on where you live. If you're paying for next day, you're probably paying for more than EMS (which HMV charges 13 USD for). I ordered a game on a Saturday and received it on Tuesday recently (not from HMV, but using EMS) if that clears up what a "fast" delivery would be. It does come through USPS, but it is fast. I live in CA around 2 hours away from San Francisco, so it might be faster for me.

Aeana

EMS is 3-5 days, depending on where you live. If you're paying for next day, you're probably paying for more than EMS (which HMV charges 13 USD for). I ordered a game on a Saturday and received it on Tuesday recently (not from HMV, but using EMS) if that clears up what a "fast" delivery would be. It does come through USPS, but it is fast. I live in CA around 2 hours away from San Francisco, so it might be faster for me.

Hmm, I see. Well, this is certainly looking to be considerably cheaper, so perhaps it'll be worth the wait. I hope they don't charge for preorders until shipment!

Aeana

Well, thanks for the information. The preliminary price is 8040 yen including shipping. I expect the shipping estimate of 1200 will be increased, but even if it is, it's going to end up way cheaper, I think.

Well, thanks for the information. The preliminary price is 8040 yen including shipping. I expect the shipping estimate of 1200 will be increased, but even if it is, it's going to end up way cheaper, I think.

If it says 1200 now, I don't think they will change it.

Mandoric

Banned

About 1500? PSP games are pretty light, tbh

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If it says 1200 now, I don't think they will change it.

HMV Japan tend to quote shipping prices wrongly for items that are larger than normal. But they are highly reliable. They do warn that shipping might be higher and will email you if it is to in case you change your mind.

HMV Japan tend to quote shipping prices wrongly for items that are larger than normal. But they are highly reliable. They do warn that shipping might be higher and will email you if it is to in case you change your mind.

Wouldn't know because I don't buy into these higher priced versions. What does it get you anyways? A "drama CD?"

I'm kinda glad this isn't related to the Liberl/Crossbell saga as I'm not really feeling the character designs or the story so far. The gameplay isn't really grabbing me either, though it's obviously quite early to be forming any concrete opinions.

*Dreams of Trails in the Sky SC*

Aeana

I think the story sounds cool enough, honestly.

I am pretty shocked that Katsumi Enami didn't do the character art for this, though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The more I see, the more I really hope this game gets a North American port. It truly does look remarkable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Heh, well, actually apparently the complaints from people were about the combat in the Kiseki games slowing down the pace of the game. Though I should hope that Falcom got plenty of feedback about how boring the combat is in Zwei and Gurumin, too, but I'm not as confident about that. However, Kondo specifically says Ys-style action, so I'm staying positive.
Oh, gotcha. The combat in Sora no Kiseki FC, at least, wasn't anything to brag about (and I guess they stick to the same or similar/a slightly expanded formula in the other Kiseki games?). Bolded sounds good and relieving.

HMV is equivalent 67 USD for the normal ed. of the game vs. Play Asia's 75.
Damn, they're way cheaper than PA. :O

They're selling the budget version of Sora no Kiseki SC, and also Zero no Kiseki, for way cheaper. I might have to consider ordering from them for new releases if they're reliable.

Top Bottom