• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves G4/X-Play

How many quality people are left there at that dusty husk from the TTV days now?
Morgan Webb? I think that's about it.

I miss TechTV still. It had that, "Hey let's put on a show!" low budget feel to it. The original shows were entertaining and informative. Even at the start of the merger I had high hopes for the channel, "Video games and tech rolled into one? Yes!" Sadly that lasted for a month or two then G4 started to rot. Canceling the best shows from both the original G4 and TechTV, then I stopped watching.

Of the awful Herter has brought to X-Play, the bit where he jokingly warned gamers not to try and sleep with his wife in Mass Effect 3 was the worst.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chobot moved over to Xplay now. I stopped watching the show awhile ago. I tune in once a year for the E3 coverage, that's it.

Curufinwe

I'd like to see Pereira leave, too, personally.

I have always liked Kevin going back to his first appearances on Pulse and Arena. And felt bad for him haven't to carry Olivia Munn's dumb, unfunny ass for so long.

Speaking of Pulse, anyone else remember Ronilyn Reily?

kai3345

Banned
Pick him up Giant Bomb!

Then once Jeremy Parish is jobless once 1Up inevitably crumbles, they can pick him up too

~dream team~

sfried

JOIN LEO LAPORTE IN TWIT!

HELP MAKE TECHTV2 A REALITY!!!

Seriously, I hope where he ends up, he ends up happy. Revision3 sounds like a good option. Maybe even team up with Kate Botello just like old times...

wow, just woke up and saw the news. Pretty crazy.

I remember watching him on ZDNet ...specifically his Half Life: Opposing Force review =/

lucius

Sessler was ahead of his time he was bashing JRPG'S even before they sucked. Now he looks like Nostradamus.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I never watched G4, but I really hated this dude. The face + voice combo was intolerable and I disagreed with his gaming views more often than not. I'd rather he stay at G4 so I know I won't run into his face while roaming the net.

Tyrax

I am a fan of Sessler, I'd like to see what he does next.
Start with a personal blog?
Reflect on playing games on your own time at the correct pace?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I hope he commentates fighting games full time.

I know this is a joke, but I really wish people would stop blaming Sessler for doing what G4 told him. Sessler doesn't really play fighting games and it showed, yeah, but he was there because G4 was hosting and he's the only "knowledgeable" person that games there (well, the last one... now that he's gone).

I don't really have an opinion of him, but old TechTV X-play was really good if a little juvenile. I hope he's able to pull a Leo or something and get another gamer-tv format thing on the web going and less skits and the like and he's able to do something he enjoys.

And since Ninja Warrior is pretty much no more, there's now no reason for me to watch G4 at all. So thanks, Comcast!

JOIN LEO LAPORTE IN TWIT!

HELP MAKE TECHTV2 A REALITY!!!

Seriously, I hope where he ends up, he ends up happy. Revision3 sounds like a good option. Maybe even team up with Kate Botello just like old times...

Cannot agree with this more, love Leo, love Sess, get Kevin Rose to show up from time to time and I'd watch that everyday... hrm news Toonami is coming back, Sess leaving G4... the possibility finally arises where some of our favorite people can get back together? What is this?!?! The good part my teenage years all over again?

Kaizer

Banned
Sessler will definitely be missed. I don't have G4 anymore, as DirecTV could care less, but I used to watch Extended Play/X-Play back in the day and Sessler was always my favorite part about the show. Very good host. Sure, his opinions might've not been the best sometimes, but it was still enjoyable seeing the antics he and Morgan would get into every week.

One millionth post saying Adam has been better than the network he's been on for a long, long time. I have to think anything would be better than G4 for a talented guy's career.

Also, G4 had at best ONE good show at any point: Icons. The rest as tolerable at best.

ibtcBRb8sPfclQ.jpg

Oh yeah. I loved it when he tried to sell me "hidden gems" lining bargain bins everywhere. Totally honest and not a cynical marketing thing at all.

Tallarico makes great fucking soundtracks, but I don't want him hosting anything on TV again.

H3xum

Wow, no sign off or anything? I'd imagine that was by G4's request, how shitty.

I'd like to know why they split now

EDarkness

I was never a fan of Sessler. I pretty much hated all of his opinions, so him leaving doesn't do anything for me. However, I imagine there were a lot of people who enjoyed his show, and they are the real losers of this whole thing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really hope Sessler stays in front of the camera as opposed to vanishing "behind the curtain" into the business. He's been a rare voice of maturity and intelligence within the gaming scene, and one of a very few pundits who's opinions I legitimately respect.

All the best Mr S. Hope you land on your feet.

Patryn

When did they record that episode?

Probably in the past week or two.

Makes sense there's no sign-off if it was a contract issue. Talks probably broke down suddenly, and if there's bad blood, there's no way G4 would want him on TV.

Just kind of surprised that they didn't throw up a black screen or something with text thanking him for his work and acknowledging that he's gone.

SA91387

Neo Member
There might be some Sessler haters out there but i have always been a fan of his even though there are somethings i dont agree with him but i followed this guy from a great channel TechTV to a once amazing Channel G4 and he never disappointed, May you have an amazing career going forward Mr. Sessler

Probably in the past week or two.

Makes sense there's no sign-off if it was a contract issue. Talks probably broke down suddenly, and if there's bad blood, there's no way G4 would want him on TV.

Just kind of surprised that they didn't throw up a black screen or something with text thanking him for his work and acknowledging that he's gone.

It seems like there'd have to be more to this than a contract dispute for them to not even give him a proper sign off. They even gave Alison Haislip a proper final episode for Attack of the Show even though she wasn't the official co-host (although she should've been). So it seems like there's some real bad blood on both sides for them to just end things with Sessler like this.

Since Attack of the Show is live, I expected Kevin or someone to acknowledge Adam's departure, but nothing was said during that show either. :(

SykoTech

Man, I used to love TechTV/early G4 before it became the Cops/Cheaters Network. DirecTV dropped the channel a few years back, and I haven't seen X-Play since.

I hope Adam keeps covering games though.

watership

Didn't know Sessler was so well liked. He was and is a terrible critic and profoundly embarrassing writer. I find many of his reviews cringe-worthy. I guess I'd give him more credit than a typical games "journalist" but that isn't saying much.

I think you probably just saw his 'TV' personality. The guy wore a lot of hats on Xplay, and some of his soapbox vids were fantastic. He's respected by other people in the industry.

neoism

zlatko

Banned
LOL Gametrailers coverage of E3. The only thing that made it good was Keighly asking some good ass questions about the Wii U, but having Justine there reading tweets just makes me face palm.

Not that the tweets idea is bad, but the questions she was picking were dog shit, and her general enthusiasm to the conferences seemed so fake and forced.

zroid

Banned
The wishful thinking behind Adam going over to GiantBomb is beyond preposterous. I will eat all of my hats if that ends up happening.

I think Polygon is the most likely candidate.

LOL Gametrailers coverage of E3. The only thing that made it good was Keighly asking some good ass questions about the Wii U, but having Justine there reading tweets just makes me face palm.

Not that the tweets idea is bad, but the questions she was picking were dog shit, and her general enthusiasm to the conferences seemed so fake and forced.

It's not like it's better anywhere else. They all offer pretty much the same commentary. Gametrailers had a great stream, that's why I stuck with them.

Philthy

dudes got shitty taste, and he probably just wanted more money. I think he made 200k + a year already.

I somehow doubt G4 had 200k to pay anyone. 200k is probably the budget for the entire network.

Also, taste is subjective. The fact that he knew his games, loved all the classics, preferred a lot of them, was enough for me to value his opinion over anyone else around these days.

RPGCrazied

Really must have been a nasty meeting, specially if they won't let Adam say bye to the fans and stuff. He's literally been on this network for over 10 years. And he just all the sudden disappears? Wow, G4 at an all time low.

zlatko

Banned
It's not like it's better anywhere else. They all offer pretty much the same commentary. Gametrailers had a great stream, that's why I stuck with them.

Stream was legit which is why I used them as well, but once Justine hit the scene, I'd bail out to chuck a deuce/make a sammich/etc.

Top Bottom