• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda owns S.T.A.L.K.E.R. IP (UPDATE: doesn't seem to be true)

Saty

Bethesda re-releases Stalker; suddenly gets 10's all around.

Again, why are Bethesda refusing to comment if it's indeed untrue?!

Oh god no. No.

EDIT: Thank goodness it was a lie. I need my genuine S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

EDIT 2: Oh... no S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 after all, huh?

Welp, stop the planet. I don't want to ride anymore.

Saty

Why wouldn't they want to nip at the bud any kind of news that are untrue and would just have more rumors made by them not commenting? Why would they want to make people think\believe\expect that they did get the rights for the IP and attract negative\positive reactions which they may later reveal as unfounded?

The same with the Prey 2. If the drama wasn't happening real-time why did the wait months before reassuring people the game is not canned, and just refused to comment making people fear the most?

Also, they didn't comment by 'we don't comment on rumors', they didn't comment at all.

I wouldn't mind if this turned out to be true, depending on which studio they task with developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. I've been waiting for Bethesda to make another FPS internally for more than a decade. Their Terminator games were amazing, very atmospheric and ahead of their time in many respects (real 3D terrain and models before Quake, drivable vehicles, one of the first if not the first implementation of mouselook, always accessible grenades on a separate button, big outdoor levels, buildings which can be entered and explored, every one of them, and so on).

I wouldn't mind if this turned out to be true, depending on which studio they task with developing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. I've been waiting for Bethesda to make another FPS internally for more than a decade. Their Terminator games were amazing, very atmospheric and ahead of their time in many respects (real 3D terrain and models before Quake, drivable vehicles, one of the first if not the first implementation of mouselook, always accessible grenades on a separate button, big outdoor levels, buildings which can be entered and explored, every one of them and so on).

Yeah, but Bethesda isn't the same company now that made those games.

I fucking adore Skyrim and Fallout 3 (haven't gotten to New Vegas yet), and I'll buy anything they release in the future under those IPs, but... I don't trust Bethesda with STALKER. You know any sequel they made would be dumbed down in insulting ways, as la the ES series. I'd just rather the IP die than have it bastardized.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't mind dumbing down mechanics because there will be mods but I don't believe that any american studio will be able to recapture the atmoshere unless there is an art director from CIS working on it.

Arcipello

well i for one am happy with this news.... STALKER has totally been going downhill since the first game, they always released buggy unfinished games and the engine was dated to say the very least!

Bethesda work your magic

R1CHO

well i for one am happy with this news.... STALKER has totally been going downhill since the first game, they always released buggy unfinished games and the engine was dated to say the very least!

Bethesda work your magic

Call of Prypiat is not "downhill" at all.

Bugs and other problems yeah, but again, not too much with the last game
downhill

Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Facebook said:
Dear Stalkers, the problem was not a lack of funding as we were able to secure new investors. The issue was wewere not able to secure the IP Property of Stalker and thus not able to continue with the franchise.

Well this sucks.

subversus

Call of Prypiat is not "downhill" at all.

Call of Pripyat is a bland piece of soulless shit riding on mechanics and art style of the previous entries. The whole thing is dank and works only because of the environment. Boring quests, non-existent characters, great environment - it's a perfect ground for a MMO.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :( :(

Dear god WHY! I don't want another clone of fallout! Not the STALKER series!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!

Bethesda work your magic
Yeah like Bethesda games aren't buggy at all, no sir!

Dabanton

I don't mind dumbing down mechanics because there will be mods but I don't believe that any american studio will be able to recapture the atmoshere unless there is an art director from CIS working on it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R has one of the most terrifying atmospheres ever. Moving around at night is a test in fear and endurance.

robin2

Call of Pripyat is a bland piece of soulless shit riding on mechanics and art style of the previous entries. The whole thing is dank and works only because of the environment. Boring quests, non-existent characters, great environment - it's a perfect ground for a MMO.
Clear Sky was; Call of Pripyat instead is a good expansion.

subversus

I think Valve could come close, but they wouldn't dabble in someone else's ip.

Valve could do this if Victor Antonov was there.

Clear Sky was; Call of Pripyat instead is a good expansion.

Clear Sky was a good expansion with a clear plot which had some mystery going and make you care about it a bit because a)it was you who had little time to figure out everything until your nervous system deteriorates b)it was interesting to know what led to STALKER events.

Also Clear Sky introduced AI wars (broken on release but fixed later) and some great locations like Red Forest. COP introduced nothing except barren landmasses with reduced creature and NPC count, reduced draw distance and tons of half-baked content. Also it took out dynamic anomalies reducing tension during exploration A LOT. And the story... you search for some nobodies about whom you know nothing and the game doesn't even attempt to make you interested in what happened to them. You are reduced to another stalker wandering in the zone, collecting artifacts, equipment and killing bandits + monsters. Like I said it sounds like a perfect foundation for MMO.

NBtoaster

I agree Clear Sky was better. More interesting missions and world. And looked much better.

The UI in COP had a much needed overhaul though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just when I thought the news couldn't get any worse.

This. After Oblivion with Guns 3 and Beth not getting out of their Elderscrolls funk to do something different with their engines and a different RPG system on the engine, I can't be hyped for this rumor. They'll take S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and bascially strip the soul of it out to try to make it a "mainstream" game for that Call of Duty money. :|

Know it's been debunked...

But would it really have been that bad? Bethesda have fallout, they wouldn't make a fallout clone to compete with it.

robin2

Clear Sky was a good expansion with a clear plot which had some mystery going and make you care about it a bit because a)it was you who had little time to figure out everything until your nervous system deteriorates b)it was interesting to know what led to STALKER events.

Also Clear Sky introduced AI wars (broken on release but fixed later) and some great locations like Red Forest. COP introduced nothing except barren landmasses with reduced creature and NPC count, reduced draw distance and tons of half-baked content. Also it took out dynamic anomalies reducing tension during exploration A LOT. And the story... you search for some nobodies about whom you know nothing and the game doesn't even attempt to make you interested in what happened to them. You are reduced to another stalker wandering in the zone, collecting artifacts, equipment and killing bandits + monsters. Like I said it sounds like a perfect foundation for MMO.
It feels like you stopped playing CoP at the beginning.
I'm one of the few who preferred the small areas to the wide areas of CoP, but still I don't think they where "barren landmasses".

Clear Sky faction wars, with npcs fighting everywhere and demential respawn times (kill guy > count to 10 > guy respawn), coupled with the removal of undergound zones, devastated the atmosphere, which is one of the Stalker columns.
Also the faction war thing itself, seemed thrown together in 3 days.
And while the are a couple of new areas, the rest is ripped directly from the original game.
And the Bugs.
The plot could be less generic but overall CoP is a better developed expansion.

The main problem with CoP quest was that the tech wasn't there to present them in the way they should have been; but aside from that they're ok, not good but not "pieces of shit".

subversus

oops

Pete Hines ‏ @DCDeacon

Couple things since I've gotten asked about it a few times: 1) we don't confirm or deny rumors. So I have no comment on the STALKER rumor.

also the official Stalker twitter/facebook account didn't know that the studio was closing until people on the internet told him.

so.....

Sentenza

good news for those who just like to play games, bad news for s.t.a.l.k.e.r fans.
And for that intermediary group of people who aren't necessarily in love with STALKER but like to play *good* games?
How are you convincing them that Bethesda could be a good news?
With drugs and hypnosis?

And for that intermediary group of people who aren't necessarily in love with STALKER but like to play *good* games?
How are you convincing them that Bethesda could be a good news?
With drugs and hypnosis?

Yes, because Bethesda makes bad games that are not at all commercially and critically well received. Jesus, people, can you at least check whether your agenda-pushing claims have any ground in, you know, reality before posting them?

Sentenza

Yes, because Bethesda makes bad games that are not at all commercially and critically well received. Jesus, people, can you at least check whether your agenda-pushing claims have any ground in, you know, reality before posting them?
I never claimed they aren't successful. They are.
Which doesn't change that they make awful games.

So, please, keep your outrage for yourself and don't pretend I should care.

Derrick01

Banned
He's wrong in that I think NV is a good game because NV had some things better than Fallout 3 but Fallout 3 did have a superior world compared to NV.

I like cities over deserts too but Obsidian did much more with their world then Bethesda did. Bethesda has 0 writing and storytelling capabilities and they're becoming worse with each game when it comes to making actual RPGs. It's getting to the point where their games are nothing more than exploring a large world, with the point of exploring it being yanked away with egregious loot scaling.

This thread is weird

No Stalker 2 - Booo
Bethesda to make Stalker 2 - Boo
Nvm Bethesda not making Stalker 2 - Yaaaay
There just won't be a Stalker 2 - Boooo

Saty

They had no issues quickly debunking the Doom 4 canceled rumor. I find it perplexing Bethesda won't deny any other rumor if it's untrue\unfounded.

Top Bottom