• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe Reveals Ideas For God of War: Ascension

strafer

Like the way this man thinks.

God of War: Ascension would have similiarities to Nintendo's Legend of Zelda and include a co-op mode, if David Jaffe were making the game, the developer has revealed.

Speaking in an upcoming issue of games™ magazine, the God of War creator said that if he was tasked with making a fourth God of War he'd incorporate three specific elements.

"[I'd] bring in different myths, add a very robust and meaningful co-star (I think lots and lots can be done story wise with co-op play), and look to the Zelda structure as a jumping off point. Hyper violent Legend of Zelda? Yes please!" Jaffe said as part of the God of War: Ascension feature in the upcoming issue 22 of games™.

Regarding a co-op mode, Jaffe added: "That could be cool. I could see that working. I'd love to see player one be Kratos and player two be this stupid annoying sidekick that - for some to be determined story reason - Kratos is stuck with for the whole adventure and in the end, once the main quest is over, Kratos just snaps the poor kid's neck."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/133978..._reveals_ideas_for_next_kratos_adventure.html

gogojira

Designing a game with an intentionally annoying character is good game design, Jaffe says.

Quickly offing the intentionally annoying character would be better than waiting until after the adventure is over, I says.

Considering there's a serious lack of story driven coop games out there these days I would be down with that part at least. God of War may not be the best choice for it though and the annoying character thing doesn't seem overly viable in the way that someone would actually want to be anything other then P1.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Designing a game with an intentionally annoying character is good game design, Jaffe says.

Quickly offing the intentionally annoying character would be better than waiting until after the adventure is over, I says.
Honestly, the ending he's describing would leave me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick. The Legend of Zelda is a staple of Nintendo, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Nintendo will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

hamchan

It's like Jak and Daxter, except with Jak killing Daxter at the end.

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick. The Legend of Zelda is a staple of Nintendo, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Nintendo will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

Lol, already spreading around I see.

Why does anyone still listen to this guy? He's got an opinion for EVERYTHING and could probably have spent less time talking and more time making sure Twisted Metal PS3 was actually, you know, worthy of the series.

First post etc etc

Although there's still a chance this game could have co-op. I'm hoping not but we'll see.

I'm genuinely curious what about coop people think is a bad thing for any game. It can easily be done in a way that doesn't harm the single player experience whatsoever and only brings positive things to the game for the people that wish to play the coop.

This is the kind of mentality that has led to a real crappy lack of good online coop story based games this gen and it sucks as someone who loves coop in any game.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I love the reactions Jaffe's opinions get out of people. Dude is responsible for two highly regarded Sony IPs yet every time he expresses an opinion, people give him shit for it.

"[I'd] bring in different myths . . .
If by different myths, he means whole other mythologies, like whole other pantheons of Gods and mythical creatures and world views, then I like the sound of that in an action game. I've always liked that sort of mythical matchup approach, like with Rise of Legends or Age of Mythology. I think he's just referring to other bits so far unused by the franchise.

Corto

These next few months will be a clusterfuck trying to decipher who is being facetious just to stir shit up and who is earnestly completely crazy about a product of entertainment. Fun times!

CrazyDude

I love the reactions Jaffe's opinions get out of people. Dude is responsible for two highly regarded Sony IPs yet every time he expresses an opinion, people give him shit for it.

Because he made two IPs, everybody should never disagree with what he says? Not that I agree or disagree with things he says.

shink

I love it.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm genuinely curious what about coop people think is a bad thing for any game. It can easily be done in a way that doesn't harm the single player experience whatsoever and only brings positive things to the game for the people that wish to play the coop.

This is the kind of mentality that has led to a real crappy lack of good online coop story based games this gen and it sucks as someone who loves coop in any game.

I'm of the belief that you can't have a good story based experience with co-op. You have to find someone who plays just like you and it's just easier to focus on the game when someone else is not there.

I know some will disagree with that but that's just me. Someone must agree with me though because there's virtually 0 story based co-op games. The one I can think of that comes to mind immediately is RE5 and that was terrible and hampered by forced co-op (AI was stupid as hell and a detriment).

edit: I prefer co-op being done where it has its own mode from the main menu so people who like that can get it and yet it doesn't invade single player. Portal 2 is a good example of that being done.

Kikujiro

Why does anyone still listen to this guy? He's got an opinion for EVERYTHING and could probably have spent less time talking and more time making sure Twisted Metal PS3 was actually, you know, worthy of the series.

He gives an opinion because somebody asked him. Is that such a big deal?
And by reading his answer I think he's just fucking around, some of you take things too seriously.

I'm of the belief that you can't have a good story based experience with co-op. You have to find someone who plays just like you and it's just easier to focus on the game when someone else is not there.

I know some will disagree with that but that's just me. Someone must agree with me though because there's virtually 0 story based co-op games. The one I can think of that comes to mind immediately is RE5 and that was terrible and hampered by forced co-op (AI was stupid as hell and a detriment).

But why should it matter as long as your single player is perfectly intact? The coop partner doesn't need to stay if you are playing one player so the AI shouldn't even be a issue. With a little effort it offers no downside to people that want single player and nothing but upside to people that love coop.

Haha, brilliant.

Haunted

Jaffe is just brainstorming because he got asked a question.

Not replying when you get asked a question makes you a rude ass motherfucker.

Mzo

Add him to the Lorne Lanning and Peter Molyneux pile of developers who talk way too much shit they can't back up.

Then ignore him.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Because he made two IPs, everybody should never disagree with what he says? Not that I agree or disagree with things he says.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, dude. The Jaffe-hate is a little strong around these parts and I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices it is all I'm saying.

Derrick01

Banned
But why should it matter as long as your single player is perfectly intact? The coop partner doesn't need to stay if you are playing one player so the AI shouldn't even be a issue. With a little effort it offers no downside to people that want single player and nothing but upside to people that love coop.

There's too many factors to consider. Extra resources and manpower to tack that on. If they just ignore it altogether then it's not an issue, and you still have a hundred other games to play co-op in. I'm not sure what would make god of war so special in that regard.

Apoc87

Banned
Did anyone enjoy the co-op in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2?

I have never even played the game, but when I heard that a hack n slash was going the co-op route I got a bit excited. Did this turn out as good in practice as in theory?

coamithra

The direction that the series has headed post part 1 is one of copying the formula exactly, changing as little as possible to appease the fanbase. That's a damn shame.

Jaffe had cool ideas on how to move forward. Check out this teaser that was visible in the GoW1 extra disk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kNH7nmeHmvI

Now there's a worthy sequel. But alas. So I think this interview is just him lashing out and taking the piss. :)

There's too many factors to consider. Extra resources and manpower to tack that on. If they just ignore it altogether then it's not an issue, and you still have a hundred other games to play co-op in. I'm not sure what would make god of war so special in that regard.

I don't think god of war is special, I think i mentioned that it may not be the best fit for coop in one of my posts but I just don't like the mentality that since RE5 didn't do it well developers shouldn't try. Me and many of the people I know desperately want more online coop in games that isn't regulated to some side part or minigame or something and I simply don't think it would harm the single player experience if done correctly.

well Jaffe has been a huge Darksiders fan, so it would have obviously resonated here. Jaffe you are a member here, comments? :D

Ricky_R

Pardon my ignorance, but is Jaffe still not over the fact that he's not making GOW anymore?

I know he's pretty vocal and he likes his opinion out there, but it seems like he wants to make another GOW so bad.

DaBuddaDa

Pardon my ignorance, but is Jaffe still not over the fact that he's not making GOW anymore?

I know he's pretty vocal and he likes his opinion out there, but it seems like he wants to make another GOW so bad.

He was presumably asked what he would do if he were making GoW Ascension. It's not like he's just randomly mouthing off unprompted.

Please tell me this is a quote from somebody in the playstation smash bros thread and not actually, you know, a serious post...

Ranger X

Well, I love the idea and would totally buy that. Zelda going stale and not having truly great alternatives right now is sad.

TUROK

That sounds dumb, but he was responsible for the only God of War game that had a decent story, so I don't know what to think.

Similar things were said by Nintendo fanboys when 3D Dot Game Heroes was unveiled.

Thanks for reminding me about that game, gonna have to pick it up at some point.
With GoW:A I would like to see sword/spear & shield Kratos, so at the very least the combat feels entirely different from what we've already experienced.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Add him to the Lorne Lanning and Peter Molyneux pile of developers who talk way too much shit they can't back up.

Then ignore him.

/thread.

He releases the new twisted metal with an essentially broken multiplayer for months. Then he announces hes leaving esp to start a new company making mobile games, and acts like he's God and we should all kiss his ass because hes still involved with fixing his unpolished twisted metal game. He just rubs me the wrong way, and the more he talks, the more he annoys the shit out of me.

Nizz

I hope GOW doesn't have co-op, not for the main story anyway, that would be shit.
Same. I don't like the idea of co-op in a God of War game, unless it's a separate campaign. I remember listening to Weekend Confirmed and Jeff Cannata mentioning he thought co-op in the new God of War would be cool.

Not to me...

Top Bottom