• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reapers Chest of Nostalgia: Mickey's Castle of Illusion

ReaperXL7

Ok so last friday I pulled StarTropics out of my chest, and was going to play it again as part of my going through this chest of old games I have at my place. Sadly my cart for StarTropics no longer works...and despite trying to fix it, nothing seems to work.

So I pulled another game, and this time it's a Genesis classic.

Mickeys Castle of Illusion:

Castle_of_illusion_Mickey_mouse.jpg

This one is a big one for me, personally and ranks up there with Little Nemo in reguards to overall nostalgia factor. I've always been a pretty big Disney fan, and even more so of Mickey. There is really just something about Mickey mouse that gos beyond him just being a childrens character, the sheer amount of people both young and old that have a special place for Mickey is pretty amazing imo.

castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-20080522030021402.jpg

The game itself is a side-scrolling platformer, and you of course control Mickey Mouse in a magical quest to save Minnie Mouse from the evil witch named Mizrabel, who kidnapped Minnie to steal her youth.

Each level exists within the large castle of illusion and the player must defeat enemies and bosses by jumping on them, or collecting apples and marbles to use as projectiles. The player can also collect items to increase health, collect extra lives, or gain bonus points. After defeating a boss, the player is given a gem. When all seven gems are collected, the player can build a rainbow bridge that allows Mickey to walk into the castle's tower for a final battle against the witch, who in her youthful form resembles the Queen Grimhilde.

castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-20080522030013683.jpg

Again we find a game where the music was excellent, but there was so much more here. The controls were fantastic, the animations of the world, and characters (especially Mickey) really wowed me at the time, and the game overall was just packed with imagination, and great platforming, Bosses, and memorable moments. It's one of the games that really made me love my Genesis and one of the many examples of why I loved Sega so much.

castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-20080522030027292.jpg

There are so many good things that I can say about this game, but i'm sure many of you already know how great it was, digging through this chest is proving to be pretty awesome...

Gameplay/Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRCJv4vbUKE

Previous threads provided by the Chest of Nostalgia:

Little Nemo: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471491

Blaster Master: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471672

The Adventures of Lolo: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471816

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
It's GENESIS! It's RIGHT THERE ON THE BOX

but yes, a very fine game.

ReaperXL7

These screenshots really make me miss CRT's.

Yeah, I agree. I'm lucky that I still an old working CRT in storage that I was able to pull out to play these. As much as I love so many of these games, they really don't look very good on HD TVs at all.

Double D

I'm sure I could look this up but, was this also on SNES? I remember like a different version or something came out for the SNES.

edit: just checked it out. It was "The Magical Quest". Can't remember which one of these I liked better.

Magical stuff to play when you're a kid, but damn was it difficult. Gotta say, I liked the sequel World of Illusion even more.

I'm sure I could look this up but, was this also on SNES? I remember like a different version or something came out for the SNES.

edit: just checked it out. It was "The Magical Quest". Can't remember which one of these I liked better.

Nope, Castle of Illusion was made by one of Sega's own in house teams. It was developed by Overworks (AM7), who also made the Streets of Rage series and The Shinobi series.

There was an SNES game called Magical Quest and it was made by Capcom, but it was unrelated to the Sega made Mickey games.

Snes-magical-quest-starring-mickey-mouse-the-box-front.jpg

ghibli99

These screenshots really make me miss CRT's.
Yeah, I agree. I'm lucky that I still an old working CRT in storage that I was able to pull out to play these. As much as I love so many of these games, they really don't look very good on HD TVs at all.
You prefer composite? To each their own, but I rather like the pixel-sharp vibrancy (and these shots suffer from compression artifacting).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Master System version > Genesis version. Come at me, bro.

Master System version has some of the most amazing animation I've seen in an 8-bit title (excepting PC Engine games of course). I haven't played either game in years though, I love a good Disney title too. Will have to pick both SMS and Genesis versions up next time I go retro shopping. I've always loved the surreal backgrounds of these games.

Top Bottom