• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Tennis Open screens + features revealed

R9Ksv.jpg
rlVbe.jpg

naxVx.jpg
h0uaq.jpg

VGKgL.jpg
12H6u.jpg

CNHCX.jpg
vdwbC.jpg

endfm.jpg
I3kLe.jpg

NINTENDO VOLLEYS EVEN MORE COOL FEATURES FOR MARIO TENNIS OPEN

May 1, 2012

Following last month's unveiling of the Special Games mode in Mario Tennis Open, Nintendo has revealed even more details about the upcoming game, which launches for the portable Nintendo 3DS system on May 20. In addition to the variety of fun tennis games with a Mario twist in Special Games mode, fans will be able to connect with friends for online matches, enjoy new StreetPass features and unlock bonus game characters through game play and special QR Codes.

Newly revealed game elements include the following:

Online Play: Mario Tennis Open players can compete and cooperate in local wireless matches with other opponents and play exhilarating games. Players can also build up their Open Match standings, check the monthly leaderboard and win Victory Medals from every challenger they defeat.

Ink Showdown: In this fast-paced competition, Piranha Plants spit ink balls from the back edge of the court. Players must destroy the ink balls before they splatter, while hitting tennis balls away from an opponent.

StreetPass Features: Players can inspire friendly competition by using the Nintendo 3DS system's StreetPass feature. They can engage in competitive StreetPass Matches or cooperative Ring Shot challenges with computer-controlled versions of people they encounter and share their StreetPass winning streak. StreetPass can also be used to show off players' Mii characters, which can be customized with new outfits and accessories that can improve their on-court performance. As users play, new items for their Mii will be unlocked in the Item Shop.

Unlockable Characters: New and familiar Nintendo characters can be unlocked – some through game play, others via special QR Codes. Unlockable characters include Luma, Baby Mario and Dry Bowser.

For more information about Mario Tennis Open, visit http://mariotennisopen.nintendo.com.

And before someone asks, there's no fucking RPG mode.

Oh dear, that Yoshi-Mii is creepy...

Game looks awesome though. At the top of my 3DS wishlist with Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario.

StreetPass Features: Players can inspire friendly competition by using the Nintendo 3DS system's StreetPass feature. They can engage in competitive StreetPass Matches or cooperative Ring Shot challenges with computer-controlled versions of people they encounter and share their StreetPass winning streak. StreetPass can also be used to show off players' Mii characters, which can be customized with new outfits and accessories that can improve their on-court performance. As users play, new items for their Mii will be unlocked in the Item Shop.
Very cool, like an AI bot of yourself for other people to play with/against. I wonder if your actual performance affects the bot version of you.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, the four secret characters are Luma, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, and Dry Bowser?

:(

Seda

I really had no interest in this game.

Then I saw you can play as a Luma.

I now have a little interest in this game.

There's a single player mode in which you can play as your Mii and get the costumes and gear. I don't know if it has any kind of story.
I don't need a story mode even, just something like MK7's cups. If there isn't even anything like that I will be very disappointed (but I'll probably buy it anyway since I love Mario Tennis).

hatchx

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely all over this.

People can complain all they want about the RPG features, but the online and local (single card) play more than make up for that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They said something like they didn't think a story would fit the Mii or something because its a cross game character.

They said something like they didn't think a story would fit the Mii or something because its a cross game character.

Really?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo are clever enough to incorporate the plot of Find Mii into mario tennis if they put a little effort.

That requires a little effort.

Amir0x

Banned
man why did they abandon the awesome GBA game set up? Guess that set up is gone for good, so I suppose I'll skip

it seems so good...still don't understand the 7 it got from Nintendo Power...

I always felt the camelot sports games were 7-8 for consoles, and 8-9 for handheld ones.

This falls under my expectations with it pretty much being a sequel to the console ones.

BooJoh

I haven't played a Mario Tennis game since the GBA one, but I enjoyed both that and the Virtual Boy version, maybe it's time I jumped back into the series... I'm a sucker for Mii support too.

All this game needs is a robust online mode.
Real opponents >>>>> bots.

My rule of thumb is if a local MP game works without splitscreen, it's better suited for local than online.

Mario tennis was a fun series that played well, but the console ones are pretty much just for parties. And it's definitely not a series that I practice 100s of hours to improve my skills or something.

M74

No RPG mode, no sale. Gotta give me a compelling single-player experience. Shame, really, because it does look nice.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Looks great. I just hope the MK7 patch doesn't hit too close to it or I'll have a hard time deciding on which to play.

This street pass functionality makes me think...but not to get off topic but Pokemon 3DS NEEDS it. Bring back R/S secret bases, or expand them into "gyms" and have you able to streetpass people to fill up your game with them

TrueBlue

I'll be annoyed if they don't put Rosalina in after including a playable Luma. In any case, looking forward to this, haven't played any Mario Tennis for half a decade.

So, the four secret characters are Luma, Baby Mario, Baby Peach, and Dry Bowser?

:(

Unlockable Characters: New and familiar Nintendo characters can be unlocked – some through game play, others via special QR Codes. Unlockable characters include Luma, Baby Mario and Dry Bowser.

This indicates that there will be more unlockable characters, they just mentioned four of them.

hatchx

Banned
it seems so good...still don't understand the 7 it got from Nintendo Power...

This is what they had to say....

Nintendo Power said:
For better and for worse, Mario Tennis Open is clearly meant to be a very accessible console-style experience on a handheld.

.....the Mario Tennis mechanics are rock solid. The Gamecube Power Tennis was a big miss with lack of online and forced in Power Shots, so for me, this is the straight up sequel to the N64 version I've always wanted.

I actually made a post last year saying 'where is portable Mario Tennis/Golf'. We missed them on the DS.

So this is a Day 1 for me no matter what the reviews are.

Sendou

This street pass functionality makes me think...but not to get off topic but Pokemon 3DS NEEDS it. Bring back R/S secret bases, or expand them into "gyms" and have you able to streetpass people to fill up your game with them

It would also be fun to be able to set up your own gyms with your own puzzles and trainers. And of course the gym leader would be your computer controlled alter ego. This+StreetPass = infinite amount of somewhat interesting content.

But as said this looks great!

Funny enough, I was going to pass on this for a while, but online play kind of cemented my purchase. Can't wait to beat dudez with Dry Bowser!

Top Bottom