• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Quit Facebook, Feels Goodman™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else want to join me? It'll be like "The Contest" in Seinfeld.

Of the 414 "friends" I had on Facebook aside from family (who I talk to on phone), I probably talk to 5-6 of them regularly. The rest I don't care about. Also, GAF >FB

Shadybiz

haha, did it several months ago. It has been great, but unfortunately, I think I need to go back again. A couple of my closest friends are getting ready to move pretty far away, so I'll need an easy way to keep in touch.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I moved away from home, so I need it to feel artificially connected to my friends there.

Suairyu

Banned
Quit in February to focus my life.

Successfully focused my life and got my job in television.

... re-joined Facebook so I could effectively network.

MYE

Unfortunately thats where i schedule dinners and nights out with friends. Also the easiest way to stay in touch with family living in other countries

Junie12

Taking a break from the internet is good once in a while but I'll never quit it, same with Facebook really..

Double D

I never started. It seems like every time I consider creating a profile, I read or hear something like this from someone.

Canuck76

Banned
I did it like two weeks ago but all my facebook time has become neogaf time. So it really hasn't help me separate from the internet much.

nateeasy

Banned
Shut the fuck up. We have these threads every week where someon is stroking their own dick because they quit fb. Nobody gives a shit. It doesn't make you a better person. Why is there a need to brag when you delete an internet account? Are you trying to see how many likes you can get?

I have been deactivated for over a month. I plan on going back, but I always have people hitting me up like "Whats wrong dude?!?!!"

Its amazing how FB has changed our social lives.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I thought about doing this after finishing college, but I couldn't think of a practical reason WHY I should. I certainly wasn't getting anything out of browsing the feed for 5+ hours a week, but, simultaneously, nothing ill comes of me just checking my messages once a day or so.

Just keep it for networking purposes or posting a specifically-tailored message on someones wall. Don't treat it like an obligation.

strafer

Shut the fuck up. We have these threads every week where someon is stroking their own dick because they quit fb. Nobody gives a shit. It doesn't make you a better person. Why is there a need to brag when you delete an internet account? Are you trying to see how many likes you can get?

Hey man take it easy.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
No thanks, I like staying in touch with friends all over the world.

HEY BRO, THIS ISNT 9GAG, WE DON'T DO THAT HERE

Yikes, dude.

CFMOORE!

Quit in February to focus my life.

Successfully focused my life and got my job in television.

... re-joined Facebook so I could effectively network.

liking someone's status isn't networking. go and take them to dinner, have lunch, grab a drink after work. that is networking. one can argue that the fakeness of liking and stalking coworkers on facebook can be effective, but it is weird to me that one would view this as a viable option as opposed to real life socializing.

i just tend to hate social networks. a lot.

Turok_TTZ

I never made a Facebook account before, still don't see any incentives to do so now.

This thread delivers.

FINE-LINE

Neo Member
I quit about 3 years ago. Not in a 'I'm too cool for it' way but I found it was way to easy to torture myself interacting with an ex. So I decided to quit for awhile and I never really thought I wanted to go back to it.

pargonta

I really want to.

I have 170 friends, mainly from 05-09 college era, nobody posts on my timeline, i never post to anyone elses, and i rarely share anything, especially not personal pictures and stuff.

my uses for the service are now based on the loose and sometimes false connections with people i've met. Family members is a big thing though, without this online connection, however arbitrary it is, i would miss out on announcements or cool pictures not sent thorough email.

more power to you.

3N16MA

Banned

I did not know Zuckerberg was a Gaffer.

Steelrain

No, thanks. I have an active social life and I like connecting with friends and former co-workers scattered around the world. Have fun with that though.

7threst

I kind of think that I want to get rid of Facebook because I somehow think I'll be more productive then. But I probably just find another outlet when I do get rid of Facebook. Like GAF. Or, if I'm feeling old school, MySpace.

Edit: also, it makes it harder to keep in touch with people. Facebook is an eay way to say "hi, how are you these days?". You don't use email for that. At least I don't.

Tim-E

I quit about a month ago. The first week or so was particularly rough. The impulse to log onto the website or open the app on my phone was hard to fight, but now the urge isn't even there. The people that matter I keep up with elsewhere. Facebook was mainly used by me to passively stalk people I convinced myself I needed to keep up with, even though I never actively engaged in conversation with them.

Canuck76

Banned
I don't make myself out to be better than anyone and i don't think OP does either. For me i would spend hours doing stupid crap on there when i could be doing better things with my free time. Even people overseas have my email so we can keep in contact and in country friends have my phone number.

So there's really no point in having it. I would just spend hours stalking people's pages when there's a lot better things i could be doing. Now i try to get outside once or twice a day and I'm actively playing basketball an hour a day 6 days a week.

Like i said earlier only problem is neogaf has sort of started becoming that pointless time suck.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I use the events feature a lot.

I could see facebook being easy to stop using if no one invites you to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom