• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas inmate wins 41% of vote vs. Obama in West Virginia primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...-obama-in-wv-primary-20120509,0,1956772.story

President Obama has never been wildly popular in West Virginia, but Tuesday’s Democratic primary marked the state’s sharpest rejection of the president yet. A Texas prisoner, listed as Inmate No. 11593-051, received 69,766 votes, a surprising 41% of the total, showing that many West Virginians would vote for just about anyone other than Obama, regardless of their status as a felon.

Keith Judd, the prisoner in question, is currently serving a 17½-year sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Texarkana after being sentenced for extortion in an altercation with the University of New Mexico.

By receiving more than 15% of the vote in West Virginia, Judd is technically allowed at least one state delegate, though no one has yet stepped forward to head to the Democratic National Convention for him. Tuesday’s face-off wasn’t the first time both Judd and Obama have been on the ballot, though, as Judd finished third in the 2008 Idaho primary behind both Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton with 1.7% of the vote.

To be eligible for the ballot, all Judd needed to do was pay a $2,500 filing fee and fill out a “notarized certification of announcement,” along with meeting other residency and age requirements.

Both West Virginia’s Democratic and Republican primaries, it should be noted, are open to independent voters.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) made headlines during the 2010 election for his thoroughly armed efforts to distance himself from the president as he sought to fill the seat of the late Sen. Robert Byrd. Obama currently holds a 32.7% approval rating according to a recent Gallup state-by-state poll. That approval rating, by Gallup’s numbers, is the fifth-lowest nationwide.

jorma

is now taking requests
i guess extortionist is better than communist and islamist

Oh, and 17 years for extortion? How is this man white? :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not saying prejudice is acceptable, but West Virginia consistently makes compelling arguments.

I often wonder what the political landscape, and possibly future, for Western nations would be if the electorate had to pass mandatory exams on their knowledge/understanding of the issues and solutions offered by candidates before being allowed to vote.

If voters were offered a couple of hundred dollars for their vote, how many do you think would reject the money?

LOCK

I doubt it is people knowingly voting for a convict, than just voting for a candidate other than Obama.

This is why some people shouldn't vote......

Kabouter

I often wonder what the political landscape, and possibly future, for Western nations would be if the electorate had to pass mandatory exams on their knowledge/understanding of the issues and solutions offered by candidates before being allowed to vote.

If voters were offered a couple of hundred dollars for their vote, how many do you think would reject the money?

Imagine the power you would wield if you were the one creating these exams.

Imagine the power you would wield if you were the one creating these exams.

The content wouldn't be any different to that discussed in the myriad of televised debates. It would just test whether people understood the debate or just reacted to keywords. It would, however, put speech writers out of a job for the most part

The content wouldn't be any different to that discussed in the myriad of televised debates. It would just test whether people understood the debate or just reacted to keywords. It would, however, put speech writers out of a job for the most part

I've always dreamed of a system where there are no political parties. That way, people might have to pay more attention to the issues. There are way too many people who go into a voting booth and choose a straight ticket D or R.

Kinyou

Each year, in honor of the Passover, it was customary for the Roman governor to grant pardon to one condemned criminal. Pilate therefore offered the people their choice between two condemned criminals. First was the murderer Barabbas, and second was Jesus the prophet.
(....)
The mob frantically chose Barabbas for pardon and death for Jesus.
I hardly believe that Obama is Jesus, but somehow did this remind a lot of that passage in the bible.

I've always dreamed of a system where there are no political parties. That way, people might have to pay more attention to the issues. There are way too many people who go into a voting booth and choose a straight ticket D or R.

Right. People are being tribalistic about this. It sounds funny, but its amazing the fate of a nation is placed in the hands of its population

RELAYER

Banned
I hardly believe that Obama is Jesus, but somehow did this remind a lot of that passage in the bible.

Why did you add the disclaimer that you hardly believe that Obama is Jesus?
You should have just left it at the quote and walked away from the flames with your head held high.

K.Sabot

My father is the type of person who would do this, he's one of those "ABO: Anyone But Obama" proponents. It's too bad that telling ignorant people that they're ignorant and stupid doesn't win you votes.

My father is the type of person who would do this, he's one of those "ABO: Anyone But Obama" proponents. It's too bad that telling ignorant people that they're ignorant and stupid doesn't win you votes.

But damn if it wouldn't be satisfying, you know?

They aren't going to vote for you anyway. Might as well call it like it is

marrec

Banned
As a resident of Pittsburgh let me say this:

I live way too fucking close to a state where 41% of people are really stupid. Time to pack up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom