• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi/DSi XL Gets Price Drop

Penguin

Just saw this in my inbox, seems DSi will drop to 100 and DSi XL to 130

Two of Nintendo's top-selling video game systems are getting attractive new prices. Effective May 20, the suggested retail price for the larger Nintendo DSi XL will be $129.99 and the suggested retail price for Nintendo DSi will be $99.99.

Both the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems come pre-loaded with a variety of fun software, including Flipnote Studio, Nintendo DSi Camera and Nintendo DSi Sound. Nintendo DSi XL comes with additional pre-installed games and applications, including Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and Photo Clock.

Guess getting ready for Pokemon Conquest?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is there any reason to buy a DSi/XL anymore? I already own a lite and a 3DS...

Jackano

A little too late. Should have been one year ago to me, but hé, with Pokémon B&W2 they finally can catch the ps2 record. Sadly enought, Four Sword isn't available anymore (since the Zelda 26th anniversay in february), or I would have bought one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

For 99% of the public, nope. If you like the bigger size of the XL and want the best possible looking Classic DS games, I guess? But again, not for 99% of people.

Saroyan

The XL has some pretty awesome screens, they are giant compared to a lite. And since I have large hands the XL is more comfortable to hold for me. Other than that, no, not really.

commish

For 99% of the public, nope. If you like the bigger size of the XL and want the best possible looking Classic DS games, I guess? But again, not for 99% of people.

Ehhhhhhh, they need to go micro for me to bite, I guess. GB Micro is still top handheld ever.

Wife wanted a DSi forever. She also wants Monhun for 3DS. God I want 3DSXL to come out.

This, this, this.

The DSiXL pretty much instantly became my mainstay DS, so the 3DS has seemed kind of small and cheap by comparison since...(Alright, no way it's going to happen as long as Nintendo sticks to their dream of sub 2000mAh batteries, but still...)

NeoRausch

Ehhhhhhh, they need to go micro for me to bite, I guess. GB Micro is still top handheld ever.

How would that work? A clamshell double screen handheld going micro.
Don't get me wrong, i want that but it sounds impossible to design. Also: small touchscreen = ewww...

commish

How would that work? A clamshell double screen handheld going micro.
Don't get me wrong, i want that but it sounds impossible to design. Also: small touchscreen = ewww...

I don't know - just make it smaller? I don't get paid to think about such things :) I rarely ever used the touchscreen feature on my DS unless the game required it, but I can definitely see how there would be a precision issue. It's too bad, really. Handheld gaming systems are just too big nowadays...

Ivan 3414

DS games look terrible on 3DS. XL is the way to go for the best looking DS games. That screen size really makes a world of difference.

ksimm

Do they do a DSi with glossy coating at all? My mum hates my DSi because she hates the rough coating, so she sticks to her broken DS lite...

Pociask

Is this the beginning of the end of the DSi line, then? Will they be gone by Christmas? Most importantly, Can I pick up a sweet DSiXL at an even more discounted price on Black Friday?

Everyone who plays DS games should consider getting an XL. It's just... simply amazing.

I wonder if Nintendo's manufacturing them still. I sort of hope not, for the 3DS's sake.

Ideal way to play DS games is the XL. They look best on it.

Damn, I really want to pick up a Metallic Rose XL. Looks great in promos, but does anyone have any everyday IRL shots?

Pocks

I'd so get a DSi if it could play GBA games..

EDIT: Where is the cheapest place I can find a new DS Lite?

BurntPork

Banned
Risky move. This could really hurt 3DS. They needed a price cut, but it might have been better to make it a little more modest. At the very least, they should discontinue the regular DSi.

Actually, that's probably what they're doing.

Risky move. This could really hurt 3DS. They needed a price cut, but it might have been better to make it a little more modest. At the very least, they should discontinue the regular DSi.

I'd guess its just a move to clear stock out

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I love both our DSi and DSiXL for DS games. I don't care for the look on the 3DS. That said, I wouldn't buy either system at this point if I didn't already own them.

ksimm

I love both our DSi and DSiXL for DS games. I don't care for the look on the 3DS. That said, I wouldn't buy either system at this point if I didn't already own them.

This is why I haven't got rid of my DSi, I can't stand the text when running DS games on 3DS.

DSi XL is glossy.

They are also expensive in the UK and a bit on the big side. I was shocked at how big it was when my niece had one.

upandaway

Awesome timing, I might really get an XL now. I had a perfectly functional Lite which is what held me back.

But still, there's something inherently scary about owning only one DS. It's such a good system, and there are so many games for it I didn't play yet. I guess the 3DS counts too as a backup but I didn't hear good things about DS support there.

I had an XL, liked it, but managed to sell it at slightly higher than what I bought it at and I don't regret it one bit. (I bought it used from Cowboom.) The device was indeed very nice, but the screen was almost comically large and the pixels were too chunky for me. The 3DS looked like an HDTV in comparison.

At the very least, they should discontinue the regular DSi. Actually, that's probably what they're doing.

They cut the DS Lite to this price about a year ago and those are still on their way out of most retail stores. They're disappearing slowly.

Plus, I'm not convinced that NOA is going through with all of the aggressive strategies that its Japan counterpart is.

b3b0p

Aren't there a ton of DS games out there still? What if you are like me and preorder everything you *intend* to play, but don't ever get to until say retirement.

We need a backup system for when we 65 years old sitting out on our ocean front porch playing backlog catch up.

dock

I really love my red DSi. It's probably the sexiest gaming device I own. I'm also a big fan of the micro-switched dpad.

It's because of my DSi that I can't bring myself to get a DSi XL. Seems excessive. Would be wonderful for games like Kirby Canvas Curse.

Yes Boss!

I had an XL, liked it, but managed to sell it at slightly higher than what I bought it at and I don't regret it one bit. (I bought it used from Cowboom.) The device was indeed very nice, but the screen was almost comically large and the pixels were too chunky for me. The 3DS looked like an HDTV in comparison.

Indeed, this is one of the issues with the XL. Image is way bigger but it is definitely a bit of a downgrade from the Lite/DSi. Don't think I'd want it as my only system but great for a change of pace.

And, what is with the 3DS DS image complaining...just play in the non-scaled form and they look fine...like you are playing on a Lite with borders, with touch mapped beyond the screen to the edges.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It won't. It would have been if 3DS were still priced at 249$, of course. But since now the difference with the most desired model (DSi XL) is just of 40 Dollars...And the cut is the same day as Midnight Purple and Mario Tennis Open are released.

DS Lites stayed $130 in Canada. I bet these will stay the same price as well. EB's in Canada like selling Nintendo stuff above MSRP for some strange reason.

I saw Lites for $99 at Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart and Zellers, so you're wrong.

EB Games Canada =/= Canadian Retailers

Not speaking about screen size, the XL has a better screen than the DS Lite or DSi because of... I think it's response time.

Basically, in scrolling scenes, you don't see any blur, like you would on the DS Lite or DSi. Nintendo likely did that because the screen is bigger, so that blur would be much more noticeable.

krae_man

I saw Lites for $99 at Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart and Zellers, so you're wrong.

EB Games Canada =/= Canadian Retailers

My Local Zellers was the only place other then EB I saw them locally and they were still $129.99. Then again that Zellers still has PSP Go's for $199 that might not have been the norm.

Everywhere here sold Galaxy 2 for $60 so It's not just EB doing the above MSRP game.

Point taken about Walmart and Shoppers though.

Top Bottom