• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think humans could successfully adapt to being an alien race's pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs and cats basically. We wouldn't be mistreated slaves, forced to toil in space mines all day. We would lay around the house, nap, snuggle with our masters and occasionally piss on the rug. Without any sort of genetic tampering, do you think humans could accept and adapt to this new subservient role or would our desire for self-determination make this situation untenable?

Man is a creature of habbit. So yes.

It would probably be hard for the aliens to domesticate people straight out of our civilization but if a kid would be born into this situation it wouldn't be a big problem. Take away human society and civilization from us and we are basicly just monkeys.

Toppot

Being a pet, I get food/warmth/shelter and everything for free and let outside. Doesn't sound too shabby to me, just hope they like their pet playing games and being on the internet all day.

Wait... do I have to be neutered?....

IceCold

Fuck that. I'm nobody's pet*.

Would my master be a hot alien women with large breasts? Is yes then I might consider it.

Hopefully bestiality wouldn't be frowned upon either.

this guy

No, fuck that. I've grown up to desire something more than that. I wouldn't be able to adapt to a subservient role where I would essentially accomplish nothing in life.

EDIT: I guess I kind of misinterpreted the question. On an individual level it wouldn't work for me. But as a whole? I'm sure the race could be enslaved, brainwashed, and forced to breed by some superior species. I'm sure with enough time (and perhaps some genetic modification) it could be done.

GatorBait

Doubtful. Difference between humans and pets is that we are self aware and have free will. It would only be a matter of time before we rebelled.

Redford

aka Cabbie
In a best case scenario, I would imagine if they were on a mission of some sort in pursuit of some higher objective, and took a benevolent, if not paternal and subtly forceful role in human affairs to use us a means in this pursuit, that would be okay by me. Of course this depends on what we'd be used for, but even manual labor would work if they did it right.

Doubtful. Difference between humans and pets is that we are self aware and have free will. It would only be a matter of time before we rebelled.

Yep. My theory would probably be based on recruiting those who willingly would come. Perhaps out of desperation (earth has gone to shit but we can't muster an exodus of our own)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I hope so. Always dreamed of laying around, dreaming of chasing the mailman, and humping things left and right.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm not sure I would frame it like that. Free will is problematic because not everybody agrees that it exists. Your use of self-awareness is also problematic because, depending upon how you define it, there is no reason why other animals cannot have it; like everything that concerns the brain, I would argue that there are degrees of self-awareness, and domestic pets merely have a lower level of it. What pets really lack, I think, is the same concept of freedom that governs human actions. In other words, they lack the ability to imagine anything beyond their very narrow view of the world. They can only understand in a very limited sense the consequences of their actions. And since they evolved for the sole purpose of domestication (this is true for dogs in particular), it is their natural state to rely upon humans for most things.

jchap

Maybe a breeder would pick me up and let me get it on with as many show quality females as he could get his hands on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually, an interesting way to look at it (and possibly disturbing) is that if said aliens are on another tier of intelligence beyond humanity, then the humans in question might not ever realize they were "pets".

"free will" or not, your dog doesn't know he's a pet. He's doing his dog thing and what he thinks he's supposed to be doing. The context of the human world he finds himself in, is beyond his capability to comprehend.

Likewise, a human placed in an alien context that is literally beyond human intellectual capability, might never realize the true reasons why the aliens interact with him. Or realize his own behavior - which he sees as entirely free - goes right along with what the greater intelligence desires.

In short, you can't rebel if nothing being done to you, or with you, is comprehensible as oppression.

At most, the human might sometimes "dig a hole under the fence" in frustration at some mysterious obstacle that is in his way, never understanding it was put there by his 'master' to control his behavior. And when he was put back inside the fence, he would not entirely understand what was happening.

Actually, an interesting way to look at it (and possibly disturbing) is that if said aliens are on another tier of intelligence beyond humanity, then the humans in question might not ever realize they were "pets".

"free will" or not, your dog doesn't know he's a pet. He's doing his dog thing and what he thinks he's supposed to be doing. The context of the human world he finds himself in, is beyond his capability to comprehend.

Likewise, a human placed in an alien context that is literally beyond human intellectual capability, might never realize the true reasons why the aliens interact with him. Or realize his own behavior - which he sees as entirely free - goes right along with what the greater intelligence desires.

In short, you can't rebel if nothing being done to you, or with you, is comprehensible as oppression.

At most, the human might sometimes "dig a hole under the fence" in frustration at some mysterious obstacle that is in his way, never understanding it was put there by his 'master' to control his behavior. And when he was put back inside the fence, he would not entirely understand what was happening.

Yeah, this is what I had in mind as well. A pet relationship between humans and superiour aliens would probably be analogous to the relationship we have with our non-human pets - I highly doubt that the aliens would derive pleasure from keeping us at the level we keep dogs.

If they did, it'd probably not be for the same reasons most humans derive pleasure from keeping pets - it's certainly not for sadist reasons.

I have a cat. She runs away at a hint of annoyance. My brother has a cat. His cat bats at you if he's uncomfortable and you accidentally annoy him, and scratches if you persist. That's okay, scratches heal and he's back to normal in a couple of minutes.

My alien friend had a pet human. He tried to nudge him out of the way when he was sleeping in the middle of a corridor. The pet went ballistic in the way that human's often do, picked up an ornamental rock with his opposable thumbs and stoved my friend's head in with his brute strength and innate intelligence in terms of attacking the weak points of a foe.

I'd want a pet that doesn't have the ability to purposefully kill me in a matter of seconds tbh :p

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Who knows, maybe we're the superior beings they theorize about, and in turn, should make them our pets/slaves/backpacks just so we don't get over-encumbered.
Put a spin on this, Bob.

Slightly related, but I've always enjoyed imagining where humanity would go if we were given undeniable proof that an alien invasion was planned to occur in say 100 years time. Imagine what we could do if the world as a whole pooled its natural resources and brightest minds. I think if we had 6 billion people pulling in one direction for that time period, we could make The Fifth Element look like the stone ages

Ponn

Banned
We already have our "pet toys" to keep us distracted and happy like ipads, cell phones and facebook. It's all just on a different level. People talk about free will but we still confine ourselves in our laws, standards, social acceptance, jobs and relationships. We must have our things, thats how we are trained so we have to act and do what we are bred and told to do.

I don't think the transition would be that much different from pets to government/corporations/media than aliens or whatever.

RedSwirl

I've sort of thought about it this way too.

So much science fiction paints alien interaction with humans as something akin to the United Nations, but I have a feeling when it actually happens, it'll be more akin to the animal kingdom. Different kinds of animals fight for resources in the same area, and some have symbiotic relationships, but how much does an Elephant really understand or communicate with a monkey?

If we ever encounter aliens, their mental capacity will likely be completely different from ours, and I have a feeling - I really don't know anything about the possibilities on the subject, that we'll never be able to communicate with perfect understanding. I mean, we're just now starting to figure out how elephants communicate.

Thinking that way, it's entirely possible that, depending on the mental capacity of the alien intelligence, they could "maintain" entire cultures of humans, similar to how a person would maintain or observe an ant colony. In that situation, direct interaction with the aliens could be a Lovecraftian event.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Is there any kind of Twilight Zone twist where we cannot communicate with our alien owners, and they provide us with entertainment they THINK we like, but we really hate?

If not, I'm totally down.

Platy

QgQQI.jpg

I can't speak for the Human race, but I think I'd enjoy it. Sounds kinky.

avat* ... no, it is not funny when you praticaly begs for it =P

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, as long as the majority of our desires are met and more importantly our owners keep us occupied enough not to worry about it. If I had an alien owner that kept the orgasms flowing by "petting", kept the pizza coming 3 times a day, and made sure to have the most stimulating entertainment ever [even more than a laser pointer] and the rest of the time i spent sleeping.. well thatd be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom