• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overkill Software (Payday: The Heist) to work with Valve on a project

“As perceptive gamers will have noticed, several hints have recently been dropped into PAYDAY The Heist, which has led to various rumors. We are excited to be able to confirm that an in-depth collaboration between OVERKILL and Valve is currently in production.

We are working on a very cool blend of PAYDAY and Left 4 Dead. I am sure it is so exciting that it will have some players check into the hospital before we are done.”

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/

Payday looked alright. I never got it because it looked too shallow and I didn't have any friends playing it, but with Valve I could see them making something cool.

BibiMaghoo

Payday was excellent, my most unexpected quality game in a long time. Looking forward to some DLC for it.

I hope this is Payday 2. Rumours suggest they are working on it along side the DLC.

Oh, my. I'm a big L4D whore... if it's a blend of it and PAYDAY (of which I've heard good things), then I'm definitely interested.

Glass Rebel

Meanwhile Turtle Rock is stuck with the rotting remains of THQ.

Haven't played Payday yet but I can't say no to more Valve. Hopefully not just L4D3.

It might be a set of DLC/updates for both Payday and Left 4 Dead that has a lot of crossovers. Like the hint in the news piece is that Payday will be getting a No Mercy inspired campaign.

The Steam Forum's thread about this by a developer is named:

Payday: Left 4 Dead

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Meanwhile Turtle Rock is stuck with the rotting remains of THQ.

Haven't played Payday yet but I can't say no to more Valve. Hopefully not just L4D3.

If Left 4 Dead 3 is announced before Half-Life 3, I'll laugh.

Then cry.

daxy

Great news. Looking forward to this.

Hopefully the soundtrack to Payday will be out soon. Simon Viklund did an exceptional job on it.

Ledsen

Also Payday is on sale on Amazon.com for $5, registers on Steam. And yes you can buy it from any country, just put any US adress as your billing adress.

Bought it myself and am looking forward to playing... any Europeans add me on Steam (see my profile) :)

Salsa

you get to steal brains!

in all seriousness this sounds kinda weird if its anything big, from what i gather Payday is cool but pretty mediocre. Its kinda unlike Valve to "team up" with someone to make something like this unless its some kind of "portal themed levels in indie games for Portal 2 ARG!" kinda thing.

something summer sale related?

edit: also think thread title should reflect Left 4 Dead..

rdrr gnr

I guess I'm going to blaspheme, but Payday was an absolute mess (played it on consoles, haven't tried it on PC). Price point does not excuse terrible controls. This collaboration does have potential as a L4D-type game with some more interesting mechanics sounds amazing.

trinest

Payday with zombies? That could be cool I guess?

My only issues with Payday are the later levels are REALLY hard and theres only a handful of levels. It's good to see the developer gaining some traction and working on more games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't the L4D team leave Valve?

Yes and no -- it's a bit of a convoluted situation. After years of being partners, Valve acquired Turtle Rock in early 2008, renaming them to Valve South, only to later (some time after the release of Left 4 Dead) dissolve the company and allow those who didn't want to work at Valve proper to revive Turtle Rock.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess I'm going to blaspheme, but Payday was an absolute mess (played it on consoles, haven't tried it on PC). Price point does not excuse terrible controls. This collaboration does have potential as a L4D-type game with some more interesting mechanics sounds amazing.

Well I doubt whatever they're doing is going to be on console, so...

rdrr gnr

Well I doubt whatever they're doing is going to be on console, so...
What makes you say that? Unless it's some F2P game, I'd expect future Valve releases that lend themselves to consoles to be on consoles -- both of them.

Edit: Well, if it's just some crossover nonsense then it won't be.

derFeef

People should not get too excited about it, it's certainly not a new Valve project.
A crossover is cool, but not really enough to make me visit the local hospital. Uber is also doing Valve crossovers all the time with TF2 and (S)MNC.

hym

Banned
I always assumed Valve preferred to work with privately held companies (like themselves), not that it instantly produces particular advantages but it's more flexible to have an evolving relationship if the collaboration turns out to be very successful and easier to avoid hostile takeovers along the way.

Overkill Software was acquired by Starbreeze last month and they are publicly traded.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
in all seriousness this sounds kinda weird if its anything big, from what i gather Payday is cool but pretty mediocre. Its kinda unlike Valve to "team up" with someone to make something like this unless its some kind of "portal themed levels in indie games for Portal 2 ARG!" kinda thing.

something summer sale related?

This is pretty much my reaction. Summer sale seems like a good candidate.

you get to steal brains!

in all seriousness this sounds kinda weird if its anything big, from what i gather Payday is cool but pretty mediocre. Its kinda unlike Valve to "team up" with someone to make something like this unless its some kind of "portal themed levels in indie games for Portal 2 ARG!" kinda thing

Hidden path are developing counter-strike: global offensive. In fact valve has a long history of colloborating with others companies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Payday looked alright. I never got it because it looked too shallow and I didn't have any friends playing it, but with Valve I could see them making something cool.
You're mssing out. It's a heist game done right. Nothing mediocre about it and easily worth $5 on Amazon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The corpse of GRIN, as bought by Starbreeze, is working with Valve on something Left 4 Dead related.

It's like a double Capcom maneuver. :p

Wow, I read a thread a few days ago in the Payday forums about some new easter eggs possibly tying into L4D (poster of Zoey, movie posters including one zombie one, L4D medpacks lying around), but I didn't think it'd actually happen.

Zoey looks pretty good with her hair down. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Never forget: http://store.steampowered.com/app/31280/

Poker Night at the Inventory

By the way, PAYDAY is great. Only problem I see with it is the lonely community.

Payday would have been much better if it was only pc game. But with the PS3 around the corner we have to wait YEARS instead of months (because they are a small team) to get another update/DLC

Amagon

I want to play this game but waiting for a Steam sale to happen. I played the demo on PS3 and it was ok. Good to see that Overkill is working with Valve.

Mechazawa

Yeah, I'm ok with this.

Hopefully it's more substantial than the summer sale sidestuff that you guys were talking about.

Top Bottom