• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls like Message system will be standard/possible in all WiiU games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Am I crazy or isn't this exactly what Iwata described, showed then said would be a standard feature for the console which means all WiiU games will be able to do this? It seems even better because it doesn't look like it uses pre-programmed statements. He even said something about players giving game tips and preventing spoilers.

vlcsnap-2012-06-03-17d7fpv.png

When I first played Demon Souls I felt that this was a feature I would like to see in more games but I never imagined it would become a system wide feature on any of the next generation hardware.

Salsa

possible? yeah

standard? nope

Like many WiiU features it depends solely on the developer me thinks

Somnid

Sort of. It's basically like twitter integrated into games. In the NSMB case it builds a sense of universal camaraderie against the game which is cool.

linko9

It's obviously got the potential to be more robust than the Demon's Souls system, as you can type whatever message you want. I'm intrigued to see how they plan on getting around the spoiler problem that Iwata mentioned. My guess is that they won't, which means I'll be turning the feature off in most games for my first playthrough.

dwu8991

Banned
possible? yeah

standard? nope

Like many WiiU features it depends solely on the developer me thinks

it should become standard

all games would benefit from the social feature in the game menu

the function needs to be implemented well in the right setting hopefully

Orca

Like I said in the quick-moving conference thread, it seems very close to Microsoft's patents on their take of Nintendo's own guide.

When a player gets stuck the game looks up the problem spot, accesses a database, and brings up a list of user submitted tips and guides. After absorbing the collective information players, with some more practice, should be able to pass the challenge.

The patent mentions this service will utilize Xbox Live, but it isn’t clear if it will be free or for Xbox Live Gold Members only.

On paper, it sounds like in-game FAQs. So, why would authors want to use this? Microsoft’s game guide system mentions a robust authoring system which allows players to capture screenshots, video clips, and annotate them with a digital pencil. Authors may even be able to add audio commentary and tag situations, objects, and items. Tags will be used to link tips to specific game situations. Developers will be able to created guides too, which can be starred or weighed higher than user created guides.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm sure you'll be able to set it to only show friends in all the social features.

Then you just have to not add jerks as friends and it'll be ok.

Don't facebook it up adding everyone @ random, use it more similar to a phone's or skype contacts list...

Anyway it's neat but I'm more excited about all the contact features you can pull up at OS level at any time.

No more coordinating MonHun meet ups on PC, all of it can be done on the system you play on, even when the others aren't yet, even if the game's own online implementation isn't the greatest depending on the dev! Win.

I wonder if the OS level stuff can be pulled up when playing Wii games or if those run in some Wii only hardware mode.

DSN2K

if system is built into the tool sets Nintendo give out then it will certainly be standard...if that happens is another thing.

MYE

One of the best things about that game and the only time i genuinely wanted to stay connected and play a non sports/fighting/racing game with others online this gen.

If they implement it as a standard way of comunicating in and out of games, they will fucking turn me into a online/community focused player :O

Derrick01

Banned
It will come down to devs using it, so probably not.

I wonder if it will turn out as useless as dark souls' did though. A billion messages of a "praise the sun" equivalent or messages that are meant to troll or trick someone to killing themselves. It's what happens when you rely on other people.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is now one of the killer features of the Wii U, as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to see the different ways in which it's utilized.

Ridley327

I wonder if it will turn out as useless as dark souls' did though. A billion messages of a "praise the sun" equivalent or messages that are meant to troll or trick someone to killing themselves. It's what happens when you rely on other people.

I think that this not being based on preset messages is simultaneously a large point in its favor and also a mark against it. You can certainly get more useful info out of this setup, but it can also lead to Youtube-comment-quality remarks.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It won't be standard. Up to devs to implement.

That is what I mean, but since it is a part of the UI it should be pretty painless for developers to include this feature in their games, right? I love this idea for games outside of the Dark Souls series. This has the potential to be a fantastic addition to your gaming sessions if implemented correctly.

It's pretty similar to Vita's Live area infrastructure, in which each game has it's own page, showing you and your friends achievements, and you can leave comments to each other, and set challenges
It works well there, I think it will be well supported here too

Omikaru

I think in Dark Souls it was kind of funny, even as the victim, but if that becomes a plague in every game I may just be tempted to turn it off (provided I can!!!).

It all depends on how Nintendo moderates content and how they use filters.

As a solution thought up off the top of my head: maybe helpful posts can be upvoted, and you can enable certain restrictions which means only high-ranked posts get displayed. That way, spoilers, trolls and the like are downvoted and never appear. Of course the trolls can always organise and get their friends to upvote their own trolls, but you know, it'd take a bit of work before they get attention.

Derrick01

Banned
I think that this not being based on preset messages is simultaneously a large point in its favor and also a mark against it. You can certainly get more useful info out of this setup, but it can also lead to Youtube-comment-quality remarks.

Yeah I guess. I forsee a lot of trolls posting spoilers and other trollish behavior. As Haunted said I'd rather just turn it off in every game and avoid the trouble.

Striek

Given they're not preset messages I hope you can turn them off or to friends-list only in any games they're implemented in.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It's pretty similar to Vita's Live area infrastructure, in which each game has it's own page, showing you and your friends achievements, and you can leave comments to each other, and set challenges
It works well there, I think it will be well supported here too

I know what Live Area is but that isn't the same as this. This is active while you are playing the actual game like in Dark Souls. It's not a message board but more of a note feature that you can leave at certain points in the game to either say how you did or give hints on how to complete it. We need to know in what ways this is limited. Like how would this be done in an FPS that has no world map?

Eusis

This. I can see why people are excited about it but it just feels intrusive to me.
The idea of doing it friends only excites me, it's pretty much like combining a forum/twitter feed with your game. The idea of doing it with the general public however, yeah, intrusive and likely to be more aggravating than anything else. Seriously hope there's standardized filtering for all games that use it.

I know what Live Area is but that isn't the same as this. This is active while you are playing the actual game like in Dark Souls. It's not a message board but more of a note feature that you can leave at certain points in the game to either say how you did or give hints on how to complete it. We need to know in what ways this is limited. Like how would this be done in an FPS that has no world map?

They're essentially the same idea though, only this one poses more problems because it's ingame

Ridley327

They showed a way it could work when Mario died in the video example and the black screen had notes pop up before it loaded back into the game.

Tiktaalik

For a 3D game you could drop a 3D position marker in the world. You could see a glimmer of an object, and if you get within ~10 metres of it the full message pops up on the screen.

I'm betting that this system is a mandatory system level feature in that there's always a "game forum screen" you can go to, but if devs want to have it integrated into the game world then they'll have to take the API for fetching your friends' messages and roll their own solutions into how it works in their game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Well, the infrastructure is there. Nintendo said this was a NiN function built into the Wii U if I recall correctly, so there shouldn't be much work to be done. It's a system feature.

Edit: Certainly you can impose limitations of what shows up on your console account, yeah.

Tiktaalik

I think seeing it in action on a global level is a neat tech demo feature, but yeah just too cluttered to be used all the time. I'd definitely see myself using it friends only unless I was in the contrived scenario of the presentation movie, where I was stuck in some game that my friends' didn't play and I wanted to access the in game message board/faq.

M3d10n

Like Valve's in-game commentary system. It could also be used to display other user-generated data other than messages, like telling you how many other players died in the same spot you got that headshot.

Oh dear, I just realized the data mining possibilities of this.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Yeah I guess. I forsee a lot of trolls posting spoilers and other trollish behavior. As Haunted said I'd rather just turn it off in every game and avoid the trouble.

I could see myself using it in certain games that make sense like an RPG, open world games etc. You had to have played demon souls back in the day to understand how useful a feature like this could be when used correctly. If 3DS taught Nintendo anything it's that people want more ways to swapnote in their games. I think this is Nintendo trying to give us that.

dodongo dislikes smoke
+5
A robust thumbs up, thumbs down and flag system could filter out the nonsense keep the penis avy's to a minimal. I really am curious to see how Nintendo is going to do this. I see a a lot of obstacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom