• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

celebi23

wwdc2012-june-11-15.jpg

OVERVIEW
  • Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: Moscone West - San Franciso California
  • Dates: June 11th thru June 15th, 2012
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops, Stump the Experts, WWDC Bash, Lunchtime Speakers
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iOS and Mac OS X.

march_2012.jpg

KEYNOTE

WHERE YOU CAN FOLLOW LIVE ONLINE
Text/Photos
(If you find other live blogs, please feel free to post the urls)

NO LIVE AUDIO OR VIDEO AVAILABLE.
A video of the keynote will be made available on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended. The places that you can watch the video (again a few hours after the keynote has ended):

Rumors/expected things to be announced

Past WWDC topics:

WWDC Setup:

****Keynote Summary****
  • Mountain Lion
    • iCloud updates
    • Notifications
    • Voice dictation
    • Share from everywhere
    • Safari updates
    • AirPlay mirroring
    • Power Nap
    • GameCenter
    • $20 shipping in July
    • Updates Snow Leopard & Lion
    • Updates all your personal Macs
    • New Developer Preview released
      http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/

• iOS 6
    • Updates to Siri
    • Siri for iPad
    • iCloud updates
    • Facebook integration
    • Updates to Phone app
    • Do Not Disturb
    • FaceTime updates
    • New Store updates
    • Safari updates
    • Photo Stream updates
    • Mail updates
    • New app Passbook
    • New Maps updates
    • New features for China
    • Developer beta being released today
    • Available for:
      • iPhone 3GS and later
      • iPad (2nd & 3rd gen)
      • iPod touch (4th gen)
      http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

• New MacBook Pro/MacBok Airs

ticket.png

Zinga

Banned
Mostly interested in what their plans are for the Macbook Pro's and Airs... hope the Retina displays come!

Also bring on the new ilife! I love iphoto but I hope this time it isn't buggy as hell on release...

Rootbeer

Banned
I really hope they have some big makeovers in sore for iOS 6. iOS is really starting to look old and busted, I get tired of looking at the same UI for 4 or 5 years :/ Android is doing more interesting things with the look and feel. Pains me to say that.

Don't forget, Google will be holding a maps event of their own June 6th, just in time to one-up Apple. Will they be sorry they dumped Google after their reveals are finished? We'll see.

I have some money stashed away for a 2012 MacBook Pro to replace my Mid 2010 model... assuming it delivers the goods :) (aka ivy bridge, new discreet GPU, preferably nvidia GTX 600 series, dual internal drives?)

Also: I can't be the only one hoping and praying apple supports blu-ray in some fashion, even if I have to plug an external BRD drive in, as long as OSX recognizes it and plays the discs I'll be more than happy. That ship hasn't completely sailed, right? I know everyone thinks physical media is dead, but I don't think they'll be saying that in a couple years when 4K, 8K, 3D, 48/60FPS are standard on new disc formats. I don't know if you've ever tried to download a feature-length 4K data file but... it's painful both on the pipe and the hard drive :)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Want to see iOS 6. Needs to be a huge improvement. I love iOS on my iPad 3 but the OS as a whole is similar to what I had on my iPad 1. Just a lot speedier/smoother.

Depending on what happens, I may save up for a macbook pro to buy for next semester.

I am seriously curious about that new google MAP feature... wonder if we will get even better and higher quality satellite images..

Better Maps and hooks for third party widgets will make me happy.

But a full on UI redesign would make me giddy. Please, please take some cues from Lion.

All that plus new Retina Airs would make me pregnant.

noah111

Still Alive
So we're guess an iOS 6 reveal, but will Mountain Lion being going gold or not? If they plan to show off the new MacBooks, they can't ship too far off (early July?) which means ML would need to be out soon too.

glaurung

I am curious about Mountain Lion/New MBP combo too.

I am currently planning to replace my old MBP in favor of the new one. If they delay Mountain Lion and release the new laptops with Lion, I might have to reconsider the purchase.

noah111

Still Alive

I am currently planning to replace my old MBP in favor of the new one. If they delay Mountain Lion and release the new laptops with Lion, I might have to reconsider the purchase.
That's impossible, they'll never do it. They'd rather delay the new MacBooks to fall in line with ML than vice versa, I think.

LCfiner

Looking forward to this. I don't think they'll be able to knock it out of the park like they did last year but iOS 6 will hopefully have enough new stuff to make me impatient for its release.

oh, and maybe they'll surprise us with an Apple TV apps announcement (not the set, just the current box). that would be nice and would make it more versatile.

I'm not in the market for a new Mac, so the expected MBP announcements may be interesting but nothing to get me to whip out my wallet.

noah111

Still Alive
^I think if they surprise us with anything related to the Apple TV, it should be an update to the OS. The new UI has a lot of critics so I wouldn't be surprised if they update it a bit.

Cheebo

Banned

The new macs will likely be out the day of or day after wwdc and will be with lion. Mountain Lion is only a 30 upgrade likely any way. It is how it was done last year as well. New macs shipped with snow leopard shortly before lions launch.

Zutroy

oh, and maybe they'll surprise us with an Apple TV apps announcement (not the set, just the current box). that would be nice and would make it more versatile.
I agree with this. I just bought a 3rd gen model a week or so ago, and it's work amazingly well with AirPlay (which is why I bought it) but as a stand alone device it falls pretty short. Having its own apps would go a huge way in improving that.

KingKong

really hoping the iCloud finally gets Photo Stream online and we get an option to manually upload from iPhone to Photo Stream

cant believe those things weren't there by default

If we get a 'Top 10 new features of iOS 6', I think it'll be along the lines of:

1. New Maps App
2. Facebook integration
3. new iTunes store app
4. new App Store app
5. new iBookstore app (last 3 could be one item but Apple likes to string this out)
6. Easier photo sharing through iCloud
7. new Safari features like tab syncing between devices
8. new Mail features like Mail VIPs
9. new Siri features.
10. 9to5Mac mentioned a new Apple app, so could be that?

Yeah, probably five to eight tentpole items, headlined by Maps I would think.

I'm hyped about this, moreso than E3. That's a big deal for me.

KingKong

geez 9to5 is really ramping up the leaks. do you think they just have a doc of all the features (real or fake) from some leak and are slowly giving them out?

Chris R

So does anyone want to buy my '11 13" MBA? :D Know a guy who is going to WWDC this year, I'm pretty jealous of him :( Maybe next year.

LCfiner

well, might as well get my serious predictions in on on page 1 of the thread for easier crow eating later on.

iOS 6.

new silver UI
Apple Maps
Siri API for third party apps
widgets API and widgets in NC
NC improvements like menu bar icon, better tap targets.
interapplication sharing / communication API.

Apple TV apps and SDK reveal

MBP hardware reveal. (no brainer prediction)
RAM and HDD remain user serviceable (actual prediction)

Mountain Lion demo showing better iCloud integration in the UI.
releases in July for 30 dollars.

hmm... I guess that’s it. that’s all I would expect.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey be careful, you could choke on all the crow coming your way...

IF, and that's a big if, Apple did release Siri and Widgets APIs would the siri commands and widgets be separate installables, perhaps even with new sections in 'store, or would Apple still require the features to be tied to apps?

IF, and that's a big if, Apple did release Siri and Widgets APIs would the siri commands and widgets be separate installables, perhaps even with new sections in 'store, or would Apple still require the features to be tied to apps?
They'd be tied to apps is my guess.

LCfiner

tied to apps.

honestly, I consider the Siri API the biggest longshot (even more so than the Apple TV app development). I don’t think it’s impossible but I think it may be too early.

With widgets, we know that Apple has hooks in there from what already exists in iOS 5.

well, might as well get my serious predictions in on on page 1 of the thread for easier crow eating later on.

iOS 6.

new silver UI

I hope not. I don't want everything on my phone to be shades of grey. I'm getting slightly jealous of Metro. (Phone only, not desktop.)

LCfiner

I hope not. I don't want everything on my phone to be shades of grey. I'm getting slightly jealous of Metro. (Phone only, not desktop.)

well, I think that one may be pretty close to a sure thing since there’s already been leaks of silver-ish iPad-like UI elements. sorry, I guess.

I don’t really mind if the iPad and iPhone UIs become more like each other. as long as they’re not all tan leather styled.

Top Bottom