• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft ZombiU planned to be WiiU exclusive, but not ruling out PS360 later on

From mcvuk and IGN:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2012-ubi-considers-zombiu-for-smartglass-vita/097602

Ubisoft's survivial horror game ZombiU is a key launch game for Wii U, but the publisher isn't ruling out the idea of bringing it to other platforms.

Speaking to IGN, a Ubisoft exec said the game could potentially be ported to Mcirosoft's new Xbox SmartGlass technology or the cross-play between Sony's PS3 and Vita.

But such a conversion wouldn't occur until well into 2013, and only if it holds true to ZombiU's original concept.

"ZombiU at its core was designed to be a great Wii U game and in order to make that work on other platforms, they would have to change a lot of what makes the game cool," said senior vice president of sales and marketing Tony Key.

"And I'm not saying that can't be done, but not in the next six months, you know?"

"There's definitely going to be knowledge that we gain from developing for Wii U that we'll be able to transfer not only to SmartGlass technology but to also to even the cross-talk on PlayStation 3 and Vita," said Key.

Can't say I'm thrilled about SmartGlass becoming a feature of 360 titles, ugh.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The third party exclusive will soon be a thing of the past. It just doesn't make sense for publishers when the consoles are so uniform.

So the third party game that has been proclaimed as being truly designed around the Wii U and its controller's many unique features...

... can easily be ported to a traditional console with no difficulty?

Strongly suggests that the Zombie U's Wii U features are merely surface gimmicks, on top of a traditional zombie FPS.

Mael

The third party exclusive will soon be a thing of the past. It just doesn't make sense for publishers when the consoles are so uniform.

It wasn't?

So the third party game that has been proclaimed as being truly designed around the Wii U and its many unique features...

Well technically all Wii games can be ported elsewhere, the problem is would you want to play the resulting port?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So the third party game that has been proclaimed as being truly designed around the Wii U and its many unique features...

Dude, GTAIII was ported to iPhone. You can shoehorn anything to anything if you don't really care in the end.

But like I had said myself a Wiimote type interface could efficiently recreate many of the touch functions. Of course the feel would be different but still. They could make it work with Move or Kinect + controller.

Or maybe they plan to utilise Vita/Tablets to keep the same experience.

Maybe even overhaul it altogether to make all the menus standard console style if they want, the visors overlays like MP3, etc.

In the end it's an FPS with some neat screen functions. We didn't need Ubi to tell us that it can be ported if they want to.

They should throw Kinect in there too.
I'd like a game where I gesture with my hands while using a dual analog controller and operating a smartphone.

wsippel

Banned

Sure, it could be ported. To 360 with Smart Glass or PS3 with Vita.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
well, looking at how it's gamepad-based, they'll have to re-do a lot of things! hard work!
In the same interview they also stated that Watch Dogs could come to Wii U!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sure, it could be ported. To 360 with Smart Glass or PS3 with Vita.

Or to any of them by just putting the second screen as an overlay on the first screen since nothing happening on the second screen is impossible to do on the first screen, just a tad less immersive, maybe?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
it's actually a pretty good test if GamePad is actually able to bring anything new on the table
Is it? I think we all saw the new functions.

We've also thought of how said functions can be changed to be the same as we had until now.

The Wiimote, in an FPS environment, also didn't suddenly make the played FPS different, but people certainly valued what it offers.

Massa

If this is getting ported why name it ZombiU? You'd have to rename it and there's no good reason to have two different brands for the same game.

well, looking at how it's gamepad-based, they'll have to re-do a lot of things! hard work!
In the same interview they also stated that Watch Dogs could come to Wii U!
They did? Did someone make a thread about that?

We've also thought of how said functions can be changed to be the same as we had until now.
The Wiimote, in an FPS environment, also didn't suddenly make the played FPS different, but people certainly valued what it offers.
I know, I didn't say it will fail at this test, but it will be interesting how people will react.

I mean, some people said Skyward Sword is also possible to be mimicked using the analog... some people are that much jaded

farnham

Banned
to be honest the game looks like a generic zombie action game that exists in the thousands on both platforms. i question the value of that exclusive

Mael

Actually it could have changed the layout and the placement of foes in the games (more vertical than the horizontal stuffs we get) but only Red Steel 1 showed any promise in that regard.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Or to any of them by just putting the second screen as an overlay on the first screen since nothing happening on the second screen is impossible to do on the first screen, just a tad less immersive, maybe?

Well, they specifically included the Smartglass and PSVita part in their statment as part of the possible consideration about a future port:

"There's definitely going to be knowledge that we gain from developing for Wii U that we'll be able to transfer not only to SmartGlass technology but to also to even the cross-talk on PlayStation 3 and Vita,"

but overall it seems just a generic answer to a specific question, to me. as the other one about Watch Dogs on Wii U.

So the graphics suck cus it's based on PS360!

:/

Anyways from what I've seen, this looks like it belongs in the $2 bargain bin. PS3 and 360 dont want it.

wsippel

Banned
Not sure it's just a "tad less immersive", but sure. Local multiplayer would also need to go. Really not sure it'd be worth the effort. But yeah, change/ throw out enough, and you could port any game to any platform.

So the third party game that has been proclaimed as being truly designed around the Wii U and its controller's many unique features...

Strongly suggests that the Zombie U's Wii U features are merely surface gimmicks, on top of a traditional zombie FPS.

That's not what the article said at all...

Many of the Wii U controller's unique features can be mostly replicated on a PS3 connected to a Vita. Or a smarthpone at a stretch of losing built in controller inputs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You know, any third party could possibly/probably come up with their own solution to let any old tablet/phone talk to any console reasonably well. They wouldn't necessarily need to rely on Vitas or smartglass (although the latter basically achieves the same outcome for them for 360). A worst case implementation would be tablet <-> remote server <-> console game, but tablet <-> local console server listening on wifi <-> console game might be possible too for more instantaneous mechanisms. They don't necessarily need the platform holders to do anything or to drive new gadgets into users hands to make certain types of port feasible.

I don't know about Gaf topic, I've read it on IGN:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/07/e3-2012-watch-dogs-coming-to-consoles-and-pc-could-hit-wii-u

Don't know if it's worht a new thread (I cannot crete topics! :p )
So, people thought:

Ubisoft looking into Zombie U maybe coming to smart glass is worth making a thread
Ubisoft Watchdog coming to Wii U not out of the question, not important to make a thread

well, crap, I am outa here; this is literally the first time I am hearing about it

Soule

Give it some PC love and I'llgladly give them my monies, most interesting Wii U game I've seen so far.

jman2050

That's not what I meant at all. I just assumed (assumption) that most PS3 owners already have a Vita and vice versa. If you don't own a Vita then there is no point in buying a hypothetical port of Zombi U on the PS3.

There aren't even enough Vitas sold to cover PS3 owners from this year alone.

tkscz

So the graphics suck cus it's based on PS360!

:/

Anyways from what I've seen, this looks like it belongs in the $2 bargain bin. PS3 and 360 dont want it.

What have you seen of it? Cause from what I've seen, this game looks like it should stay on store shelves at $59.99. Two separate opinions of course.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, with Smartglass you only have half the equation since the Wii U is both Tablet and controller, I guess we are supposed to grow extra arms for the controller part.

thuway

No company in their right mind will ever ignore free money. I expect Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313, Need For Speed - etc. to all be on the Wii U, PS3, 360- irrespective of their successors.

gogogow

Not surprising in the least, if it happened. Ubisoft sold 30 million copies of Just Dance, most of it on the Wii and yet it gets ported to other consoles.

Sells great -> gets ported
Sells bad -> gets ported

Well, with Smartglass you only have half the equation since the Wii U is both Tablet and controller, I guess we are supposed to grow extra arms for the controller part.

Same with PS3 and Vita. My bad.

Smartglass you're only going to have a seperate screen of some kind, not screen+physical controls.

remnant

Banned
put the buttons on the screen. Its not like anyone would really care.

No company in their right mind will ever ignore free money. I expect Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313, Need For Speed - etc. to all be on the Wii U, PS3, 360- irrespective of their successors.
I wish I could say that it is this simple.

Nintendo barely bothered to bring operation rainfall games to the US; and the only thing they needed was publishing it.

When Nintendo defaults on 'publishing' their own games to an installed based of 40m, I don't blame 3rd parties not wanting to 'port' and publish their games to a platform with an unknown installed based and demographic.

---
of course the same applies with ZombiU; porting it may be a worthless effort [almost definitely is considering how generic it becomes if we remove the GamePad from the equation compared to games such as RE, DS, etc.] and even backfire by destroying whatever future it could have as a Wii U exclusive too.

NMH ports are probably a good example of why they may not even bother porting it.

Top Bottom