• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : 80 percent of PS3s connected to the internet worldwide [other psn stats]

Pranay

GamesBeat: I guess you didn’t really give an update on the numbers, is there an update on the PSN members…?

Buser: Sure, I can give them to you, here’s the update. We are announcing… Registered PSN accounts, more than 100 million worldwide. PS3, more than 64 million units worldwide. I gave you the stat on games, 1,578 downloadable games since the PSN launched, that’s a lot. Fastest-selling game on PlayStation Network was Journey. Here’s some cool new facts. You saw the press conference, 80 percent of PS3s connected to the internet worldwide, very high. More than 70 percent of PSN members use PSN weekly or more often, so very engagement. Average hours PSN is used per week is 7.1 hours. Very long session durations. We’re seeing extremely high engagement on PlayStation Network. Two-thirds of PlayStation Network members play online multiplayer on PSN weekly or more often, so highly engaged, playing a ton of games.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/07/t...ur-competitors-are-losing-the-plot-interview/

Surprise no one made a thread since it was mentioned in the conference as well
and if the number is true thats i guess its well deserved since psn has really been improved from where it started and psn+ is fantastic

how do they know how many ps3 is connected online? surely it's not from the amount of user account since me personally have 4 psn account in various region and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Arcteryx

They just need to get more servers up. PSN can be painfully slow downloading while Steam can nearly max out my 15mb line.

This, although it does seem hit or miss on my end. Some days its slow as balls, so I hop on Steam to check and everything is fast, :(.

Why must you torment me Sony?

Wildesy

how do they know how many ps3 is connected online? surely it's not from the amount of user account since me personally have 4 psn account in various region and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

You wouldn't think so seeing as the article quotes the guy as saying there are more than 100 million PSN accounts with only 64 million PS3s sold.

mclaren777

"Two-thirds of PlayStation Network members play online multiplayer on PSN weekly or more often."

^ that's the most surprising stat for me because I almost never play online games.

DBT85

"Two-thirds of PlayStation Network members play online multiplayer on PSN weekly or more often."

^ that's the most surprising stat for me because I almost never play online games.

You represent 0.00001% of the PSN account holders and you are surprised that something doesn't apply to you. What?

I wonder how many copies Journey actually sold if its the best selling PSN game.

500.000? A million?

Also random PSN bullshit stuff I have been thinking about. Is PS+ a profitable venture for sony? I mean they probably give the pub's of those free games something. I wonder if it they are actually making money from each member after its all said and done.

DieH@rd

Banned
Also, they apparently don't have large % of PS3's affected by piracy. 80% are connected to the internet, and therefore have the latest firmware. The rest are offline users, of witch few % are pirates.

We cant have similar numbers for MS. Their console is broken by several exploits. Custom DVD firmware users can pirate games and go to the XBL without problems [MS bans uses who play retail games before their street date], but RGH/jTAG uses are always offline.

Carl

I wonder how many copies Journey actually sold if its the best selling PSN game.

500.000? A million?

Also random PSN bullshit stuff I have been thinking about. Is PS+ a profitable venture for sony? I mean they probably give the pub's of those free games something. I wonder if it they are actually making money from each member after its all said and done.
IIRC it was the fatest selling game, not the best selling.

If PS+ wasnt profitable, i doubt they would keep it running

Also, they apparently don't have large % of PS3's affected by piracy. 80% are connected to the internet, and therefore have the latest firmware. The rest are offline users, of witch few % are pirates.

We cant have similar numbers for MS. Their console is broken by several exploits. Custom DVD firmware users can pirate games and go to the XBL without problems [MS bans uses who play retail games before their street date], but RGH/jTAG uses are always offline.

I'd bet on the XBL subscription being the biggest factor. The simple fact that it exists probably dissuades quite a few people from even bothering to connect their 360's, either because they don't know about Silver accounts or don't care.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm curious what's the best selling game.

I'm guessing it's FFVII but if we're stick to PSN/PS3 games, I'd say it's probably Castle Crashers followed by Scott Pilgrim, then Journey/RE4 HD.

Top Bottom