• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

golcarfel

Neo Member
Hey guys, so I found a pretty interesting read regarding Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony.
http://gotgame.com/2012/08/25/the-nintendrone-can-microsoft-and-sony-compete-with-the-wii-u/
Mind you, it is only an opinion heavily based on previous facts but I though it might be a read you guys might enjoy

On another topic:
Spending so much time here on NeoGaf has made me believe that most people only care about a system if it has mind blowing graphics. But then I remember that neogaf is only a small portion of the gaming community. Most people don't care if a game has the best lighting or the best shadows, they just care if they have an enjoyable time playing the game. For this reason I think that the Wii U will be successful. Not because it will have the best graphics card or 20 GB of ram, but because it will be fun and innovated. I just though I would give my two cents regarding the Wii U and the graphics topic.

Kacho

Well, from western developers I'm expecting just CoD BLOPS2 and F1 Star race announcments, but honestly if Wii U will see in the launch window (november-march) just Tank Tank, Tekken TT2 and DQX from japanese developers, I'll be really disappointed.
And I don't think that I'll be disappointed because of too high expectations...

If the Wii U launch ends up being heavily loaded with Western titles and only has a handful of Japanese titles I will be disappointed too. I wish I could get excited about Scribblenauts, Batman, AC3, and Rayman but they just do nothing for me. Zombie U is the only Western launch title that appeals to me.

PhantomR

Banned
I doubt it will be pointless theres gonna be plenty to show. 1hour announcement of price? ok.

Exactly.

Price, release date, Nintendo Network and Miiverse features (how account system works, for instance), Nintendo eShop full reveal, Black Ops 2, software release dates, and MAYBE some new software titles we haven't heard yet.

I think that is all very reasonable and not expecting too much.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Some more tidbits from that Nintendo Okie Pwnee Studios interview (just listened to it.)

The developers have only just got their hands on the dev kits.
They can't say much about the Wii U version because of those damned NDAs. *Sigh*

The major Wii U stuff occurs about 14 minutes into the interview.

PhantomR

Banned
If the Wii U launch ends up being heavily loaded with Western titles and only has a handful of Japanese titles I will be disappointed too. I wish I could get excited about Scribblenauts, Batman, AC3, and Rayman but they just do nothing for me. Zombie U is the only Western launch title that appeals to me.

And therein lies the problem (not you specifically).

I think we need to realize that we are all different gamers with different tastes and different opinions. Nintendo cannot please everyone, and just because they cannot please every single person doesn't mean they aren't on top of things.

Those games you listed? I personally could care less about ZombiU, but you can bet I'm all over Scribblenauts, Batman, AC3, and Rayman. That was the best game I played at E3.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think PS4 is shaping up to be a very good balance of cost and power. And their cost should scale really well this time making it easier to profit off of the hardware early.
I think so too. At least i cant think that they will take a big loss again, seems like too much of a gamble this time around.

Nintendo. Sony's goodwill is dissipating in a big hurry there. Look at what they've done with their brand this generation as proof of that.
I dont think that most people really care about branding that much (if that is what you mean with goodwill?). As long as the product is interesting and priced accordingly, that is what matters (generally speaking, goes for all gaming systems).

The PSP was/is also mega popular in Japan, PS3 also had a great increase during the last years. The brand is still very relevant.

Kacho

I think we need to realize that we are all different gamers with different tastes and different opinions. Nintendo cannot please everyone, and just because they cannot please every single person doesn't mean they aren't on top of things.

Those games you listed? I personally could care less about ZombiU, but you can bet I'm all over Scribblenauts, Batman, AC3, and Rayman. That was the best game I played at E3.

I don't think it's expecting too much to have both strong Western and Japanese support on the Wii U.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think is awesome. Me and a friend were talking about this other day: What if Skyrim is announced for Wii U and then you could use your 3DS like a "box"? You could carry your equips with you and sell or trade them to other players. Maybe donate. Nintendo could let people use 3DS coins to purchase some of them too. I would love to see somenthing like that.

Yeah, or think of another Dark Souls game which lets you take notes on a map about enemies, transfer the data to your 3DS and then on the go, you could strategize your way forward by planning a route on that map and making items lists or whatever. The touch interface on both devices should open a lot of cool possibilities with this.

These things could also take over the function of the "Online Pass" system. Buy new? Get free access to companion app on 3DS!

I just saw the total coin count for NSMB2 surpassed 50 billion and thought: what if you could use the coins you unlock on your account in some fashion in NSMB.U? Missed opportunity not having the two games interact in some way (I doubt they'd announce something like that after the first game is out)

nobody else got anything for this? ->

Since I'm tired of the graphics debate right now, let me throw another discussion point into the pot:

What do you guys think about companion-apps/games?

It's not a new thing by any means. Connectivity, for example, did that already or take the Dreamcast's VMU.

But with recent stuff like the Dragon Quest X companion app for 3DS or that DUST 514-thing on the Vita which connects to DUST 514 on PS3 which itself is a tie-in to EVE Online on PC, I think the potential for really cool implementation is really high.

I wanna see more stuff like this between Wii U and 3DS titles. That DQX app (I forgot what it does at the moment) is a great start. Now what about a map-editor for Mario Kart or F-Zero tracks? A pedometer that earns you rupees or something like that to use in the next console Zelda. A lottery mini game for something like Darksiders that has all your loot info and if you StreetPass with someone, they get to play lottery with your items and can win one (without you losing it of course).

Some more cross-platform integration that keeps you engaged in the game even if you're away from the home console would be really really awesome. And I think the 3DS should be able to do that. Oh and a firmware update for 3DS to handle more activated StreetPass titles at the same time would be nice ...

Terrell

I dont think that most people really care about branding that much (if that is what you mean with goodwill?). As long as the product is interesting and priced accordingly, that is what matters (generally speaking, goes for all gaming systems).

The PSP was/is also mega popular in Japan, PS3 also had a great increase during the last years. The brand is still very relevant.

Sony trails behind Nintendo for most of the generation, while positioning itself as a "me-too" Western-focused console with the HUGE majority of first-party content focused squarely at the Western market, with Nintendo swooping in and being the only company in Japan nurturing 3rd-parties. You don't think Japanese developers are going to take issue with that at all when plotting a course in the next generation? They already are, look at Vita's Japanese developer support, it's embarrassing by comparison to even the PSP in the same point in lifespan.

Nintendo cant appeal to everyone here but Id be damned if they dont have japanese games for japan. Talking about just seeing asscreed, batman,zombiu and the other western titles up until launch is probably the stupidest thing I ever heard on here. We will see japanese 3rd party support, when they are coming here and who reveals them is a different story though. I dont think I can even count 5 titles for them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sony trails behind Nintendo for most of the generation, while positioning itself as a "me-too" Western-focused console with the HUGE majority of first-party content focused squarely at the Western market, with Nintendo swooping in and being the only company in Japan nurturing 3rd-parties. You don't think Japanese developers are going to take issue with that at all when plotting a course in the next generation? They already are, look at Vita's Japanese developer support, it's embarrassing by comparison to even the PSP in the same point in lifespan.

Of course, some Japanese 3rd parties are so focused on the West that Sony's approach and emphasis might be more attractive to them. Just something to think about.

Sid

I think PS4 is shaping up to be a very good balance of cost and power. And their cost should scale really well this time making it easier to profit off of the hardware early.
Since you know about the ps4 h/w do you think backwards compatibility is likely and will it be software or hardware based(or partial h/w-s/w)?also is the wiiu backwards compatibility hardware based?

test_account

XP-39C²
Sony trails behind Nintendo for most of the generation, while positioning itself as a "me-too" Western-focused console with the HUGE majority of first-party content focused squarely at the Western market, with Nintendo swooping in and being the only company in Japan nurturing 3rd-parties. You don't think Japanese developers are going to take issue with that at all when plotting a course in the next generation?
How do you mean with nurturing 3rd-parties and "me-too"? The PS3 have gotten the majority of 3rd party support during the last 2-3 years (EDIT: Or when i think about it, it is actually been more or less like this the whole generation).

I have no idea how next gen support will turn out because we know nothing about the other systems except WiiU. I think that the systems themself is what will determain the 3rd party support.

An MMO Pokemon game for Wii U would end all wars and create world peace.

Think about what that game could do, in all seriousness. In my mind, it's one of Nintendo's missing opportunities, one of their missing puzzle pieces that they're no doubt readying for release sometime. One of those things you know Nintendo can do, they're capable of it, but when? It's like they have a nuclear war head...

BlackJace

Think about what that game could do, in all seriousness. In my mind, it's one of Nintendo's missing opportunities, one of their missing puzzle pieces that they're no doubt readying for release sometime. One of those things you know Nintendo can do, they're capable of it, but when? It's like they have a nuclear war head...

Because Nintendo.

If they wanted to make bank, just make a pokemon version of skylanders.

kitsuneyo

You know what Japanese game I'd love Wii U to get? Ni no Kuni.

The spell book could be read via the Game Pad.

Level 5 of course have a great relationship with Nintendo.

The port from PS3 shouldn't be *that* difficult with all the RAM available (I admit I don't really know what I'm talking about here).

Timing would be great too, because Europe (and I think the US?) hasn't had the PS3 version yet.

What are the chances?

Meelow

Banned
One of the main things I want from the PS4 is a better controller, I only like the Duel Shock for RPG's but I find it bad other type of games, I've been a Sony fan since the PS1 days but If Microsoft controller is just an upgraded Xbox 360 controller and Sony is just the DS4 I might just ship...

test_account

XP-39C²
You know what Japanese game I'd love Wii U to get? Ni no Kuni.

The spell book could be read via the Game Pad.

Level 5 of course have a great relationship with Nintendo.

The port from PS3 shouldn't be *that* difficult with all the RAM available (I admit I don't really know what I'm talking about here).

Timing would be great too, because Europe (and I think the US?) hasn't had the PS3 version yet.

What are the chances?
I think it depends much on how it sells in Europe and US. The game got a 2nd release in Japan and that one sold like 5k the first week. Based on that, it is very unlikely that a WiiU version would be released.

kitsuneyo

I think it depends much on how it sells in Europe and US. The game got a 2nd release in Japan and it sold like 5k the first week. Based on that, it is very unlikely that a WiiU version would be released.

I'm assuming that if it's going to happen, Level 5 are already working on it. In which case the WiiU version would be released the same time as PS3 in the US and Europe.

kitsuneyo

It's one of those things I just don't understand. The game would be a license to print money and a guaranteed generation win for WiiU (IMO), yet Nintendo and the Pokemon Company don't bother their arses.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm assuming that if it's going to happen, Level 5 are already working on it. In which case the WiiU version would be released the same time as PS3 in the US and Europe.
Yeah, i was just about to edit my previous post and write that :) Level 5 would have to already be working on it right now if they want it to be released at the same time as the PS3/Xbox 360 version. That is possible i guess, but i have no idea.

Terrell

Of course, some Japanese 3rd parties are so focused on the West that Sony's approach and emphasis might be more attractive to them. Just something to think about.

Yes, I'm sure Polyphony and KojiPro are ECSTATIC about this change of direction.

How do you mean with nurturing 3rd-parties and "me-too"? The PS3 have gotten the majority of 34d party support during the last 2-3 years.

I have no idea how next gen support will turn out because we know nothing about the other systems except WiiU. I think that the systems themself is what will determain the 3rd party support.
"Me-too" is in reference to the PS3's 1st party lineup trying to follow in Microsoft's footsteps for the better part of the generation, being exclusively focused on Western content. They only JUST revived Japan Studio at the END of the generation.

The only reason that 3rd parties in Japan are supporting PS3 is little to none of them invested R&D into Wii due to their 3rd-place position last generation. R&D at the beginning of a generation plays a huge part in where games end up, especially when there's a huge disparity in their capabilities like we saw with this generation. With that gap being much MUCH smaller this time, it's safe to invest in R&D for WiiU because (a) DS/3DS gameplay concepts can be applied to it, and (b) they can legitimately scale their content if things don't pan out with Nintendo, but likely don't see that being an issue after Nintendo's success this generation.

As for nurturing 3rd-parties:

Tecmo Koei: helping with Fatal Frame publishing/advertising, given them Metroid and Pokemon to make a game (that didn't pan out well for Metroid, but seems like Nintendo isn't holding it against them financially) and publishing a late port of a game and getting the better version of it to boot. All of this likely came with a LOT of inside assistance in both Wii and WiiU development that they couldn't get from the SDK manual.

Namco Bandai: gave them the opportunity to work on Smash Bros. and again giving them an inside track to squeeze out the best from the SDK on WiiU, which will serve them well next generation and put them ahead of the pack at the beginning of the generation.

Square Enix: Do I need to explain this?

Capcom: Or this?

After Sony achieved success with the original Playstation, Sony kinda left 3rd-parties to the wolves, and in the PS2 days when they were the worldwide market leader, that was fine. But repeating that in the PS3 era was a huge mistake, and Nintendo has been slowly and surely capitalizing on that. We see it bear some fruit already... who would have thought Platinum would make an exclusive for Nintendo before it actually happened? No one on GAF, for sure.

Meanwhile, you have Sony leaning hard on Santa Monica, Guerrilla and Naughty Dog for basically the whole generation, losing Fumito Ueda and forgetting that Japan Studio even existed for 5 years. And that's their INTERNAL TEAM. You think they treated any 3rd-party better than their internal team in Japan?

D-e-f-

Banned
One of the main things I want from the PS4 is a better controller, I only like the Duel Shock for RPG's but I find it bad other type of games, I've been a Sony fan since the PS1 days but If Microsoft controller is just an upgraded Xbox 360 controller and Sony is just the DS4 I might just ship...

Well Sony is gonna have a screen in the controller. That's just how they roll.

I own a PS3 and a bunch of great games on it that I love but that doesn't stop me from repeating it every chance I get: Sony does what Nindendonebefore.

So the DualShock 4 will have a multi-touch capacitive touch screen with back touch and a glowing ball on top (like that mock up someone made the other day^^). Or they just use the Vita full-on. By then, the price will have dropped to 169,- and it together with the PS4 system we'll be at 599,- again ;)

I expect the next Xbox to have a 360 controller with a better D-Pad (maybe the "switch" d-pad becomes the standard) but that controller has become so widely spread and the absolute standard for everything that I just don't see them changing anything. They won't put a screen in because they wanna push SmartGlass and that would fly directly in the face of that. And obviously Kinect+

I thought it was PS3 only? It's one of few games I'd consider getting a PS3 for, I'd love that not to be necessary whether via WiiU or Xbox!

yes, Ni No Kuni is a PS3 exclusive (aside from the original Japanese DS version)

schuelma

Yes, I'm sure Polyphony and KojiPro are ECSTATIC about this change of direction.

I'm not saying for everyone, but I think it would be foolish to discount the perception that Microsoft and Sony are more geared towards the core gamer in the West, which is the holy grail for many of these companies.

I sincerely do expect Wii U to get much better support this generation, but I do not think it is as cut and dried as you are portraying it as.

Terrell

I'm not saying for everyone, but I think it would be foolish to discount the perception that Microsoft and Sony are more geared towards the core gamer in the West, which is the holy grail for many of these companies.

I sincerely do expect Wii U to get much better support this generation, but I do not think it is as cut and dried as you are portraying it as.

When it comes at the expense of every other market, I do think there's reason for severe trepidation.

And 3rd-parties have been so focused on western-only content because they've HAD TO BE to sell their wares on consoles that are aimed at those markets almost exclusively.

I doubt it will be pointless theres gonna be plenty to show. 1hour announcement of price? ok.

1 hour of re-introducing launch software from E3 and Miiverse before price reveal.
You'll most likely get all the same shit at the destined-to-happen Iwata event that will actually have new software announcements alongside.
Hopefully it's a day earlier or so.

ohlawd

I'm getting huge Uncharted vibes from Tomb Raider. That's my cue to stay the fuck away from it.

And I have a freaking Chem lab during the conference. Gonna miss like 4 hours ;_;

Meelow
Banned
(Today, 03:17 PM)

Yikes.
-_________-
What happened ? Can't say I'm completely surprised though, he's too passionate, which is great, but it probably makes it easier to get banned/lured into a trap. Well, at least it's his first ban, so he should soon be back among us.
I noticed that too. I didnt say anything because I didnt think he'd go to far. I didnt go in the quantam leaps thread either so..

D-e-f-

Banned
Expected that for Meelow. It's not perma is it?

the writing was definitely on the wall.

I'm getting huge Uncharted vibes from Tomb Raider. That's my cue to stay the fuck away from it.

And I have a freaking Chem lab during the conference. Gonna miss like 4 hours ;_;

you're gonna miss 5 out of the 6 hours because this is not a 6 hour video stream. it's a 6 hour press event with a presentation (likely 1 hour) by Reggie. the rest is hands-on and interview time for media people.

test_account

XP-39C²
I thought it was PS3 only? It's one of few games I'd consider getting a PS3 for, I'd love that not to be necessary whether via WiiU or Xbox!
Sorry, my mistake. It is PS3 only as D-e-f- pointed out :)

"Me-too" is in reference to the PS3's 1st party lineup trying to follow in Microsoft's footsteps for the better part of the generation, being exclusively focused on Western content. They only JUST revived Japan Studio at the END of the generation.
SCE have been making western oriented games since the PS1 days, so i wouldnt say that they're following Microsoft's footsteps.

The only reason that 3rd parties in Japan are supporting PS3 is little to none of them invested R&D into Wii due to their 3rd-place position last generation. R&D at the beginning of a generation plays a huge part in where games end up, especially when there's a huge disparity in their capabilities like we saw with this generation. With that gap being much MUCH smaller this time, it's safe to invest in R&D for WiiU because (a) DS/3DS gameplay concepts can be applied to it, and (b) they can legitimately scale their content if things don't pan out with Nintendo, but likely don't see that being an issue after Nintendo's success this generation.
Why didnt they invest more into Wii after they saw the huge success it had from day 1?

As for nurturing 3rd-parties:

Tecmo Koei: helping with Fatal Frame publishing/advertising, given them Metroid and Pokemon to make a game (that didn't pan out well for Metroid, but seems like Nintendo isn't holding it against them financially) and publishing a late port of a game and getting the better version of it to boot. All of this likely came with a LOT of inside assistance in both Wii and WiiU development that they couldn't get from the SDK manual.

Namco Bandai: gave them the opportunity to work on Smash Bros. and again giving them an inside track to squeeze out the best from the SDK on WiiU, which will serve them well next generation and put them ahead of the pack at the beginning of the generation.

Square Enix: Do I need to explain this?

Capcom: Or this?

After Sony achieved success with the original Playstation, Sony kinda left 3rd-parties to the wolves, and in the PS2 days when they were the worldwide market leader, that was fine. But repeating that in the PS3 era was a huge mistake, and Nintendo has been slowly and surely capitalizing on that. We see it bear some fruit already... who would have thought Platinum would make an exclusive for Nintendo before it actually happened? No one on GAF, for sure.

Meanwhile, you have Sony leaning hard on Santa Monica, Guerrilla and Naughty Dog for basically the whole generation, losing Fumito Ueda and forgetting that Japan Studio even existed for 5 years. And that's their INTERNAL TEAM. You think they treated any 3rd-party better than their internal team in Japan?
Yeah, i'd like you to explain Square Enix and Capcom to me :) Making exclusive games for one platform doesnt necessarily means that there are huge deals going on, it could simply be that they believe mostly in a certain platform. Dragon Quest games for example have always been released on the biggest platforms.

I dont think that we know much about what goes on behind the scenes. Several of 3rd party developers got bundles available for example. Stuff like this is important. So i dont know why you can say that Nintendo is the only company in Japan that has good relation with the 3rd parties.

Platinum making an exclusive game for the WiiU is because Nintendo funds the project. Nintendo is the publisher of P-100. This isnt 3rd party support.

Nintendo. Sony's goodwill is dissipating in a big hurry there. Look at what they've done with their brand this generation as proof of that.

Either ps4 will get better support than wii u, or both will be equal. Keep in mind, we're talking about SE, Capcom, Konami, etc. The only guys making console games in Japan still. They preferred Sony over Nintendo this gen.

I don't know how you can argue wii u getting better support in any region. Other than ps4 straight up bombing.

schuelma

Why didnt they invest more into Wii after they saw the huge success it had from day 1?

Well, by the time the Wii's success became apparent, millions had already been sunk into HD development. I also believe the PSP's resurgence with Monster Hunter stole some development mindshare.

I do think it will be much easier for Nintendo to attract quality support in Japan this generation- the atmosphere is much much different than 2005 and 2006.

Meelow, the internet is always wrong, but you're not gonna fix it... EVER! People like being arse holes, it gives them a thrill. Just chill pick your battles next time.

schuelma

Either ps4 will get better support than wii u, or both will be equal. Keep in mind, we're talking about SE, Capcom, Konami, etc. The only guys making console games in Japan still. They preferred Sony over Nintendo this gen.

I don't know how you can argue wii u getting better support in any region. Other than ps4 straight up bombing.

Its still really really early and we do not even know what initial support 3rd parties are giving the system, but I can absolutely envision a scenario where Wii u receives better 3rd party support in Japan than PS4.

Of course, if Nintendo can even come close to breaking even with Sony that would be enough to ensure dominance for Wii U in Japan.

D-e-f-

Banned
SCE have been making western oriented games since the PS1 days, so i wouldnt say that they're following Microsoft's footsteps.

it was pretty obvious though when Killzone, Resistance were going directly after the Halo crowd and Uncharted tried to fill the cinematic third person cover based shooter mold that Gears of War represented on the Xbox (though they both launched relatively close to each other).

Do you guys think that we might get some information on Little Inferno at the event? I know World of Goo was showcased at a media event so I'm hoping there might be a similar showcase this time. It's my most anticipated Wii U game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, by the time the Wii's success became apparent, millions had already been sunk into HD development. I also believe the PSP's resurgence with Monster Hunter stole some development mindshare.

I do think it will be much easier for Nintendo to attract quality support in Japan this generation- the atmosphere is much much different than 2005 and 2006.
I do agree that this (the HD developemnt stuff) is probably partially a reason, but i doubt it is the only reason. At least it makes no sense to me to say "wow, look at this platform, it is selling like crazy! The sales potential for games could be huge, but we wont invest anything into it". The PSP is probably also one reason indeed.

I think so too. I wont make much predictions on it yet because i dont know what the competitors will offer. I think that will matter a lot for who gets the most 3rd party support.

it was pretty obvious though when Killzone, Resistance were going directly after the Halo crowd and Uncharted tried to fill the cinematic third person cover based shooter mold that Gears of War represented on the Xbox (though they both launched relatively close to each other).
Or this was just the direction gaming was going in general. I'm sure several was trying to go after the Halo crowd, but this is one game. I dont agree that Microsoft was the leader in making western oriented games and everyone else were following in their footsteps.

nordique

These only came out this year, so not probable.

Wii U GPU is still more than likely based on a 4000 series card.

To be fair, the Wii U GPU is also only coming out this year

It's still a big question mark at this point; is it a reformatted older GPU or is it a truly up-to-fate future proof feature set wise GPU?

So I think, until we have more information about the GPU, we can't say if it "is" an old GPU or based on an older model, or, a new GPU. Technically it's a new GPU but the other side of that coin is the Wii's was as well (it wasn't just a repackaged GameCube GPU although it was in essence...if that makes sense)

So I do understand why people would or could be hesitant regarding how new or old the Wii u GPU may or may not be

nordique

I waited a full 40 seconds for the textures to load in. Arkham City Port is a complete disaster. Along with Tomb Raider it was the worst POS I've played at Gamescom. Stay the fuck away from this trash!!

People talking about AC3 being a massive difference must have played something different as it basically is the same game with maybe some minor differences.

Now I'm not saying this is the case,

But it could be that the gamescom demos were just e3 builds. Similar issues were reported with the e3 demos.

This is something to consider. If the final version ships with these issues, then yes I agree, buyers beware.

D-e-f-

Banned
Do you guys think that we might get some information on Little Inferno at the event? I know World of Goo was showcased at a media event so I'm hoping there might be a similar showcase this time. It's my most anticipated Wii U game.

World of Goo was Wii exclusive at that point and showcased the motion controls very well, that's why it was shown off most likely.

Little Inferno is multiplatform and I doubt they have very significant Wii U gameplay features. I wouldn't expect it there. Would be cool, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom