• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Kazerei

Banned
WGO3I.jpg

mZ3eH.jpg
8583i.jpg

The Basics

Official website

Release: June 18, 2012 (NA) and June 21, 2012 (AUS) and July 27, 2012 (UK)
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Strategy RPG
Players: 1 - 2 (local)
Developer: Tecmo Koei
Publisher: Nintendo

Note: This game is DSi-enhanced. Europeans looking to import can still play it in a DS or DS Lite. Won't work in a DSi, DSiXL, or 3DS because of the region lock.
Update1: There have been reports of the US game working in a European 3DS, but not European DSi.
Update2: Now coming to Europe in English

Description

Pokémon Conquest is a crossover game between the Pokémon and Nobunaga's Ambition series. The result is a strategy RPG in the style of Nobunaga's Ambition, except that every Warrior or Warlord has a Pokémon partner they use to fight. There are 200 types of Pokémon in the game.

The story is set in the fictional Ransei region, which is comprised of 17 kingdoms. Each kingdom is associated with one of the 17 different Pokémon types. You play as a Warlord of the Aurora kingdom with a pet Eevee, and your goal is to conquer and unite the entire Ransei region.

The game features typical SRPG battles with up to 6 versus 6 Pokémon/Warrior pairs. Both sides take turns moving on a grid map and attacking. The Pokémon do all the fighting, but the Warriors also have special skills they can use once per battle to help.

After winning a battle, the Link between every Warrior and his/her Pokémon partner increases. The greater the Link, the stronger the Pokémon. A Warrior can Link with multiple Pokémon, but obviously it's best to just focus on pairings that are most compatible.

Outside of battle, you'll need to manage the forces under your control. This means distributing your Warriors amongst your kingdoms to defend against hostile forces, recruit new Warriors, raise gold, capture wild Pokémon, and train your Pokémon.

Pokémon Conquest has been praised for its easy-to-understand game mechanics and huge amount of (optional) content. If you're looking for a quick fun SRPG fix, then check this out!

Questions & Answers

What's the difference between a Warrior and a Warlord?

Warriors are generic (can have multiple of the same Warrior type), and Warlords are unique (only one of them exists). You can tell the difference by looking at the background of the character portrait. Warriors have a grey background, Warlords have a light gold background. Warlords have better stats and can reach Perfect Link with certain Pokemon.​

How do I recruit Warriors?

Defeat them while meeting one of these criteria:

1. Defeat them in four turns or less
2. Defeat them having used a supereffective move (doesn't have to be the killing blow)
3. Defeat them before they can do any damage

Note that if they die due to status effects or environmental damage, it doesn't count.​

How do I recruit Warlords?

You'll probably notice that as you conquer kingdoms, the Warlords keep going away somewhere. Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. There are three categories of how Warlords can join you.

1. Join automatically during the main story.
2. Join after completing a post-game episode or wi-fi downloadable episode.
3. Can be found roaming around randomly after defeating them. The in-game List of warriors also includes roaming Warlords. They are colored yellow and their Link % is unknown. When viewing the world map or kingdom map, you'll notice a little bubble above each battle location. That bubble shows you if the location contains Warriors or wild Pokemon or both. If the Warrior icon is gold, that means there is a Warlord available. Recruiting a Warlord like this is the same as recruiting a Warrior, but with one extra condition: the killing blow must be dealt by another Warlord, not a Warrior.​

How do I Link to new Pokemon?

This option becomes available after conquering four kingdoms. Basically you just go up to a wild Pokemon and choose Link (instead of Fight or Wait). Then you play a little game where you hit the A button at the right time until you fill up the meter.​

So tell me about the Warrior-Pokemon Link level.

On the info screen, at the very top you will see something like "[Warrior name] Link XX% / YY% [Pokemon name]". The former number is the current Link %, the latter number is the maximum Link % that Warrior/Pokemon can reach.

If you have a Warrior/Warlord with an ability you like, but the Pokemon they come with isn't well-suited to an upcoming battle, or the maximum Link % is low (like 40%-50%), then it might be a good idea to Link with a new Pokemon.

Pokemon are non-transferable. Once a Warrior links to a Pokemon, that Pokemon belongs to him/her forever and ever.​

How do I evolve Warlords?

By reaching a certain Link % level with the Pokemon partner that they can reach Perfect Link with.​

How do I evolve Pokemon?

Most evolve by reaching a certain Link % level, and some evolve by holding a certain item and finishing a battle. And then there are a handful of exceptions beyond that.​

How do I evolve Eevee?

Flareon / Vaporeon / Jolteon: During the story, you'll automatically get a fire stone, water stone, and thunder stone. Just have Eevee hold a stone and finish a battle.

Espeon / Umbreon / Leafeon / Glaceon: Reach 70% Link and then finish a battle in the psychic / dark / grass / ice type kingdom.​

How do I evolve Jigglypuff?

Buy a moon stone from the traveling merchant for $5000. The traveling merchant appears randomly after a certain point in the game.​

How do the passwords work?

After entering a password, a wild swarm of that Pokemon type will appear the next month. You can only use a password once, and the swarm will only last one month. So use the opportunity wisely to Link to wild Pokemon.​

Passwords

Eevee - 2rz3XFCKmR
Dratini - Sr5Z5GqAgR
Gyarados - mq2xRVNgRL
Cinccino - vVALFrGTXX
Oshawott - frCLRpXG88
Gible - LTb3n3RYJ8
Pansear - niE33w9rwM
Panpour - CNZF3wpq3x
Sneasel - Rc338MpqLx
Darmanitan - pK5RgzqLG8
Larvitar - Lpu3ggCYk8
Beldum - CMqkZRRSRX
Axew - BqWxXEK3xg
Emolga - Jnm3kqgN8X
Lapras - GfV33RVN3F
Scyther - 8GV3LMGrnM
Riolu - Shw8mxRAJR
Pikachu - FZP8GqRZRR
Croagunk - LKpk8FRQR8
Pansage - 6xSG8UCAZR
Chimchar - ?
Deino - ?
Misdreavus - ?

Downloadable episodes

Motonori and Motochika - download the content, and the next month these two Warlords will join you, provided that (1) you have defeated them already, and (2) you're playing the main story

A Fate Born of Beauty (Ranmaru) - download the content, and in the post-game, the story will be available to select

Reviews

Nintendo Power: 9.0/10

Nintendo Power said:
With so many variables in play, there are countless ways to approach each fight. Between the many types of Pokémon, their abilities, the changing battlefields, your Warlords' skills, and all of the troop organization and between-conflict activity, the battles are remarkably deep, and each victory feels well-earned

IGN: 9/10

IGN said:
Pokémon fans should not hesitate to give Conquest a try. It offers a new and different way to enjoy the Pokémon universe, and is well worth your time and money. The same goes for strategy fans, or those looking to get into the genre. For all these reasons, and for the game’s creative and apt execution, I walked away from the experience thoroughly impressed and amazed.

Nintendo World Report: 9/10

NWR said:
Watching your Pokémon and warlords evolve is a rewarding experience that will keep you coming back for more. Needless to say, the game is aimed toward Pokémon fans, though that doesn’t mean it’s exclusively for them; anyone can play and get a lot from it. Conquest is a good intro to each type of game it draws from—strategy, RPGs, Pokémon, and everything in between.

Destructoid: 8.0/10

Destructoid said:
Pokemon Conquest could have been a cheap tie-in with a terrible gimmick, but instead it's managed to be a fun and rewarding little strategy game with its heart in the right place. It's not going to tax your mind and it's not going to provide anything too complex, but it will more than like suck up hours of your time while you gladly let it, because it's just too satisfying to grab as many Pokemon as possible and see what they can do.

EGMNOW: 8.0/10

EGM said:
Though the Pokémon label might be slightly disingenuous, Conquest does offer a novel, enjoyable take on the strategy genre—and the Pokémon brand also gives the traditionally hardcore strategy genre a modicum of accessibility to a wider audience. If the wider Pokémon fanbase can look past a few curious decisions in regards to this odd franchise marriage, they’ll find a strong strategy title that should provide some severe addiction in its own right.

Metacritic page
GameRankings page

Media

Teaser trailer
Intro trailer
E3 trailer
TV commercial

Dc6SX.jpg
dhOl5.jpg
aPkwl.jpg
e5AgV.jpg
91k5C.jpg
3MTai.jpg
fmmf3.jpg
gr0gX.jpg
eOoZQ.jpg
OrRd2.jpg
RBaFH.jpg
vHoR7.jpg
5gOze.jpg
88Jzp.jpg
MEpQT.jpg
E1jqg.jpg

MicH

Why on Earth is this not coming out in Europe??? Urgh. Any way to import from Australia (as I seem to recall these games are DSi-enhanced)?

b3b0p

200 Pokemon, cool.

However, can I play as Pikachu still?

This game looks good, might be my first Pokemon since Pokemon Snap and the Game Boy Blue/Red/Yellow.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
200 Pokemon, cool.

However, can I play as Pikachu still?

This game looks good, might be my first Pokemon since Pokemon Snap and the Game Boy Blue/Red/Yellow.

Yes. You can use Pikachu.

Wow...this came out of nowhere. I remember thinking it looked awesome when it was announced in Japan, but somehow I missed the US release announcement. And now the game is almost here!

wrowa

The game is coming out in Australia, but not in Europe? Isn't Nintendo Australia more or less a subsidiary of NoE?

Kazerei

Banned
NOE is probably hard at work on localizing Fire Emblem Awakening. Meanwhile NOA is keeping us placated with a strategy RPG featuring POKEYMANZ!

Red

Really want this game but it's not in the budget right now. I am hoping it remains pretty popular and easy to find. Probably will, since Pokemon.

Murrah

Banned

^ Hahahahaha

Been ignoring this game since it was announced even though it looks right up my alley, but these screenshots look great and the info in the OP sounds good too. Plus there's Charmander so now I'm gonna have to get it at some point

Gotta say I will definitely enjoy this game due to my love of Sengoku and Pokemon.

Boo for not including some generals though, Koei/Nintendo.

Wiseblade

You're too kind! I took over the OP from MidnightScott just a few days ago, and this is all I got.

putting the release date first and not having text in images instantly makes this OP batter than a ton of the ones circling around GAF recently.

flowsnake

There's no region lock between Europe and Australia, right? So in theory it could be imported from there? Probably laughable in terms of price (and I have no idea where you'd order) but still possible.

Kazerei

Banned
There's no region lock between Europe and Australia, right? So in theory it could be imported from there? Probably laughable in terms of price (and I have no idea where you'd order) but still possible.

I honestly don't know ... never had to deal with it since I'm in N. America. Can anybody confirm?

Kazerei

Banned
I'd have hype if there were a PAL release at the ready, what happened NoE? you'll lose your newly gained credibility!
Still this is the first pokemon spinoff game i've looked forward to since Snap (excluding stuff like Colosseum which still plays like the standard games).

massoluk

Banned
Bwahaha, got this pre-ordered on Amazon as soon as it was listed. Totally forgot about it, didn't realize it's coming out so soon.

Boney

Banned
dibs on jigglypuff girl

so now that all the shock has come down. is this still considered the weirdest crossover in gaming?

I also like the Sengoku period and Pokemon, so this is a dream game for me. Well except for the fact that Togekiss and Reuniclus are missing.

Teknoman

The soundtrack to this game is amazing (as expected for a Pokemon game), but i'm just really glad we're finally getting a Pokemon SRPG. I think me and a few others were talking about this long ago when... HG/SS first hit?

Either way, this is probably going to knock Devil Survivor 2 out of my 3DS for awhile.

Unless they look better on the DSiXL...actually never tried that.

Blizzard

Banned
:O I heard about this but didn't realize it was coming out this month in NA! I will try to pick this up for sure. I probably haven't played an SRPG since Advance Wars Days of Ruin (if that counts) or FFTA2 (if that counts).

Aru

This might be my last Pokemon game. I don't want random encounters with huge encounter rates and incredibly slow battles, so I'm not buying main Pokemon games anymore.

I'm waiting for the PAL release.

Kazerei

Banned
Why the fuck is the boringass Hero in the banner when you could have had Heroine in it, OP?

Because Hero's evolved form is way more awesome than Heroine's evolved form

img05-boy01.jpg
img05-boy02.jpg
1-3.png

img05-girl01.jpg
img05-girl02.jpg
1f-3.png

I'm confused. This means that you still control what actions the pokemon take during az battle just like in all the other pokemon games, right? not AI?

Yes, you still control the Pokemon, it's not AI. What I meant was, the Pokemon move around the battlefield and attack each other and stuff (as you can see in the screens). The Warriors just kind of hang back, use items, or use their special abilities.

Top Bottom