• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Dot Game Heroes $9.99 on Newegg

Aru

It's a pretty cool Zelda clone, but it can be frustrating at times. And the frame-rate is unstable.
I'd recommend it at this price. It's short but fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got decently far into it and just got bored and stopped playing, and I love Zelda. Just felt like a mishmash or random design...dunno.

$10 is a good price atleast.

I got decently far into it and just got bored and stopped playing, and I love Zelda. Just felt like a mishmash or random design...dunno.

Same reason I dropped it. It felt pretty unpolished and relied mostly on nostalgia for classic Zelda. But for $10 I figure it would be worth a try.

robox

the game lets you set your character as the mech from metal wolf chaos.
that's like 5$ in value in dlc terms.

i didn't think it was that hard. but it's very old school in that's it's really unforgivably rigid.

redcrayon

One of my favourites this gen. All the in-jokes from 8-bit games (an inventor, after giving you an item, says 'get your weapons ready!') just made it a total nostalgia trip for me.

It's also a Zelda game where the economy actually works- you end up with more weapons to upgrade than you could ever feasibly spend all the money on.

One thing people aren't clarifying is that it's an NES Zelda clone.

Buyer beware if you're looking for, well, every Zelda since Ocarina of Time (or maybe Link to the Past).

But as an NES Zelda fan myself, this was a real treat. It made me want more, more, MORE.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was just thinking about playing Zelda, then I thought "Nah I'd rather play 3D Dot Game Heroes"

TRUE STORY!

-PXG-

Great game. If you love Zelda or other top down RPGs, you'll like this. You can't pass on it at 10 bucks.

zroid

Banned
at that price, buy it twice.

you might need the spare, after you snap the first disc in half due to rage :p

really fun game that brought back a lot of good and frustrating memories of the original zelda. Modernized retro 8 bit zelda themed music, frustrating multi-floor dungeons with lots of keys, locked doors, map, compass and all the classic zelda/link to the past items.

Also features a large item trading quest line sort of like the giant sword trading quest in OOT

Also, the game looks really nice and very unique.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Which is precisely how Zelda 1 (on which this game is modeled) felt. This feels like a sequel to the very first Zelda rather than a real evolution. I'm happy that the Zelda series evolved as it has, but it's also neat to play a game that feels directly inspired by the very first of that series.

Fun game and a very neat concept. I lost interest after the sand dungeon. Came back a few months later and finished that dungeon but didn't have the drive to continue. I'll get back on it someday. Good music and good graphics/visual effects for that style. A little on the difficult side, similar to the actual Zelda on NES. Nothing is really made obvious and you're kind of left to your own devices on figuring out what to do. Character creation is awesome. Gave me all the old feeling of exploring I had when I was a kid playing Zelda for the first time.

Really liked ALTTP but I couldn't get into dot game heroes. The artstyle is what did it for me, sprites > 3d for overhead adventure games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

If this were on a handheld I'd pounce on it, but for some reason I can't see myself playing this tethered to the TV. This is something I'd play on the can or sitting next to the wfe when she's watching a chick show.

Fun game for the old school vibe and structure, but the framerate kinda turned me off with how low and variable it is. No reason this shouldn't have been a glossy smooth 60fps. Also, the water looked out of place and distracting despite the initially cool impression it had combined with the DoF. Even so, for $10, this is a good deal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's an awesome game, but hard as NAILS. If you like hard games, here's the right game for you.

Only hard thing is that stupid Dash Race and doing From Mode (no damage at all or you die!), otherwise it's easy.

Croc

Banned
Surprised to see so much love for it in here. I remember reading a LTTP thread on it and the consensus was much more negative.

I won't argue that $10 is a good price, but I didn't think it was a good game at all. Dungeon design was fucking terrible. Not one dungeon stood out to me throughout the game aside from maybe the one that had to be gone through in a certain very specific order, and if you died you had to start completely over.

It was also one of the worst cases of "final dungeon is a copy of all of the previous dungeons" I've ever seen. I would have stopped playing for sure during that if I wasn't so set on beating it to clean up my back log.

Another thing I didn't like was the sword mechanic. Totally broken and ruined a lot of the game for me. Your sword only has those crazy powers whenever you have full health, and the dungeons are pretty much designed around you being able to use those powers. So, lose any bit of health and the difficulty goes up by like 1000%.

Roto13

As a huge fan of Zelda, 3D Dot Game Heroes is the worst retail game I bought all generation. The game has no soul. Every time one of those loading screens referenced another game I'd think "Man, that other game was so much better than this one. I'd rather be playing that."

Game was alright. The ridiculousness of the maxed out giga sword was pretty entertaining to me. The hit take damage once sword mechanic ruined a lot of that though.

I also was really turned off by the games “retro” dialog, it just felt like it was trying way too hard. In a retro hot-topic t-shirt sort of way.

plc268

Some of these responses make me wonder if I played the same games as you guys.

Hard? Not really. I can't really remember any parts that were difficult or got me stuck. I remember getting lost in that desert part, but that was about it. Some of the dungeons have their annoyances, but the puzzles are pretty logical, IMO. Combat is fairly standard... and super easy if you have full health (with big sword).

I'm not sure what people mean that it takes after NES zelda... because I played ALTTP (for the first time) right before 3DDGH, and they both gave off similar gameplay vibes. The little bit of NES Zelda I played didn't really reflect 3DDGH.

The game can be unstable at times though, so save often. It does have missable quests too, difficult mini games, and tough trophies. But, if you're a fan of 2d zelda gameplay, this game is a no brainer, especially at $10.

I was just really disappointed that there was no dark world but other than that I loved this game. I really enjoyed making my own characters too.

Top Bottom