• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Had the Panasonic Jungle existed, it could've had an OLED screen and cost $249/$349

Takao

Banned
So Panasonic announced, and then quickly killed off the Jungle. It was going to be their foray into the handheld gaming market with an online enabled device. The thing was killed last year, but earlier this year marketing materials for the device were posted online:

zQhma.jpg

QZkPH.jpg

This apparently is how the OS would've looked like:

0hduX.png

yY9Xk.png

Ape Escape was listed as a game... wat?

Brera

Banned
The form factor looks shit but would make it easier to use the LR buttons so I can see why they did it.

Did it have any software support?

DGRE

Banned
I like the logo. I had never heard of this though. Why were they even thinking about entering the handheld market ?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is the touchpad supposed to be that circle pad to the right? No actual buttons?

In any case, it looks terrible to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The layout and design of this look like a poor mockup from a show that knows nothing about games. I kind of wish it had come out, just to see how hard it would have bombed.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Fou-Lu

I honestly wish it had come out, it looked like an interesting device. I would've at least liked to hold one and play a couple games.

I'm getting really strong N-gage vibes from this, especially the launch lineup. But at the same time I'm also convinced this could have had some degree of success based on runescape.

It's been long enough so this is probably ok. That's not what the UI looked like. That was a mock up of a possible change in direction for the UI. There were so many problems with the UI design. The whole thing was pretty ill conceived and it had no chance of being any type of big success. I know this because I spent a year of my life on it.

Takao

Banned
It's been long enough so this is probably ok. That's not what the UI looked like. That was a mock up of a possible change in direction for the UI. There were so many problems with the UI design. The whole thing was pretty ill conceived and it had no chance of being any type of big success. I know this because I spent a year of my life on it.

Tell us more.

WTF why is some of the text in Latin?

And Bloom Box?

This seemed like sort of an interesting idea, very poorly designed and marketed.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I always thought it didn't look like something Pana would create, especially the design. Cancelling it was the best thing they did.

Takao

Banned
I always thought it didn't look like something Pana would create, especially the design. Canceling it was the best thing they did.

I believe this was an initiative started by Panasonic's US branch. If Marty wants to share he'd know a lot more than I could ever.

So it was like a Vita, but Panasonic had the good business sense to abort.

(I said business sense; <3 my vita).

Other than the $249 price point, and the OLED screen there's not much in comparison to Vita here, lol.

SmithnCo

I'm sad we never got to see any advertising that utilized the phrase "jungle fever."

But seriously, would've been N-Gage 2.0.

Top Bottom