• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony explains why the PS4 wasn't at E3, new IPs late gen, more

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
MCV had a set of interviews with Andrew House and Yoshida from E3. Here are some small excerpts.

There's more through the link about Wonderbook, PlayStation Mobile, and question dodging about the Vita.

MCV said:
MCV: PS4 then. Why is now not the time to talk about a new PlayStation?

Andrew House, head of Sony's game division: The right time to talk about new advances in hardware is when you can demonstrate a significant leap on the current experience, and something that is going to be attractive. That remains our philosophy. Beyond that we have nothing to say at this point.

MCV: Have the wider financial struggles which Sony has faced impacted the PlayStation business?

Andrew House: No. In Kaz's first strategy meeting he pointed out three core businesses that he felt was critical to Sony's future and we were honoured and somewhat pressured to be highlighted as one of them. I see my role, in part of my return to Sony corporation, is to serve Kaz best by building bridges with the other divisions, which is critical for any large corporation. And also to banish the idea that SCE is somehow a separate island, which sits apart from the rest of the organization.

MCV: Your E3 press conference started and ended with new IP. Why is it important for a company like Sony to create new ideas?

Andrew House: It is absolutely critical We've always felt that the strength of our platform has been a kind of symbiotic relationship between the platform being created and strengthened by new experiences. And then that reinforcing the strength and one hopes the longevity of the platform overall. I've heard conventional wisdom in the industry that says - and it is kind of like an American presidency - that the first two years in a lifecycle is the only change to innovate with a new audience. We take a different view. It is part of the role of a platform holder to have the confidence and to make the investment where necessary to show that six years into a lifecycle, there is a significant audience that is going to actively peruse new IP. And the onus on that is to deliver on those expectations.

MCV said:
Yoshida: Cloud gaming services allow us to stream games via a server to different devices, but in order for it to become practical, the internet has to be very robust in terms of bandwidth and latency. As with all infrastructures, it takes time for it to become widely available. Some consumers in the US and some parts of Europe have very robust and fast net speeds, so cloud gaming would be practical in those markets, but not when you look at the wider, broader global market. When there are faster internet connections, gaming in the cloud as a subscription service could become a reality. We're looking at what OnLive is doing, and the tech around that, and considering how this can be a part of PlayStation.
Source: http://content.yudu.com/A1w9wi/MCV1...ndrew-house-interviewed-in-the-new-mcv/098001

Gsak

"Why is it important for a company like Sony to create new ideas?"

Idiotic question is idiotic.

Man

It was blu ray that made it cost that much.
Don't forget Cell, standard HDD, built in PS2 chipset (earlier on). They tried cutting cost at launch be selling a wi-fi less version. Today every friggin thing has wi-fi.
Also amazing to think that this is the first gen with (default) wireless controllers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah because selling each console at a loss is arrogance

Well, if you listened to their talk, they sure sounded as if they believed people would run out and buy PS3s by the truckload just because it was PS3. At any price.

awaiken

Banned
Don't forget Cell, standard HDD, built in PS2 chipset (earlier on). They tried cutting cost at launch be selling a wi-fi less version. Today every friggin thing has wi-fi.
Also amazing to think that this is the first gen with (default) wireless controllers.

In other words you got what you paid for. I had to buy all that shit extra for my launch 360

awaiken

Banned
Well, if you listened to their talk, they sure sounded as if they believed people would run out and buy PS3s by the truckload just because it was PS3. At any price.

I remember heavy ps3 scarcity and I sold an extra launch ps3 I had for $900 so there was truth to that.

They definitely created a barrier to entry with that price but to claim it wasn't a desirable product at launch reeks of amnesia.

They should probably pull a Microsoft for PS4 and sell a barebones unit for low and sell all the extra components separately

I'm actually have this weird gut feeling Sony is going to do really well with the PS4. I don't think they are going to price themselves out of the market. I think they are going to be better at getting new IPs and big games out faster especially with easier development cycles.

Sony is being competitive with apps, services, and media. They also are competing better on the online front and I expect a much speedier and well thought out online system and OS next gen. Their arrogance seems to be curbed and it just comes off as confidence rather than arrogance. Sony still manages good relationships with third parties and that is still an essential part to their success.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Talk about the PS4? What, and take the focus off Wonder Book? Surely you jest, gentlemen.

I know it's a good price for the tech you're getting but most people think it's too expensive for a handheld.

But it's not overpriced. Unlike PS3 Sony struck a good balance between all tech and price especially when you compared it to the price 3DS launched at. I think more than anything it shows Sony learned a lot w/ the PS3

Synless

"for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
I did it. I have no regrets either. It was worth every fucking dime.

GQman2121

Banned
I know it's a good price for the tech you're getting but most people think it's too expensive for a handheld.

I don't think that's true at all. However, I do believe that people who would have been interested in the PSP back in 2005 are now busy consuming games on other devices to consider the Vita a practical gaming device.

Either way, the Vita projects well for all of us in regards to Sony's next home console.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
But it's not overpriced. Unlike PS3 Sony struck a good balance between all tech and price especially when you compared it to the price 3DS launched at. I think more than anything it shows Sony learned a lot w/ the PS3

They took a step backwards tho compared to the PS3 with the proprietary memory cards for the Vita. I hope PS4 supports all kinds of HDD/SSD drives (actually taking advantage of the latter, and allowing to swap without formatting).

Shahed

Well as long as you keep experimenting, and delivering new IP's, you'll always have me as a customer.

As for PS4 being a beast. Ideally it's as powerful as can be. But in the end I'm not really that bothered as long as all the 3rd party games are available on it.

Man

I hope PS4 supports all kinds of HDD/SSD drives (actually taking advantage of the latter).
You know they won't though. PS4 will have some base flash memory but main storage will be proprietary SSD add-on.

MercuryLS

Banned
The real reason was the specs.

I don't get why people keep saying it was blu ray's fault entirely. Even when you subtracted that, it was still an over-engineered box. Cell was very exotic and expensive to build, there was also a lot of very expensive, custom parts that drove up costs as well. The whole thing was like a labour of love from an Engineer that didn't give a shit about the practical implications of making a nearly $1000 machine cost-wise and then figuring out how to sell it afterwards.

I hope Sony will go with a normal controller and zero gimmicks so they can focus on powerful hardware while being reasonably priced. I just hope they wont be packing Eyetoys, PSmoves and pad controllers driving the cost up (to a lesser extent) like Blu-Ray did. Let Nintendo and Microsoft go with their pad controllers and Kinects.

They took a step backwards tho compared to the PS3 with the proprietary memory cards for the Vita. I hope PS4 supports all kinds of HDD/SSD drives (actually taking advantage of the latter, and allowing to swap without formatting).

Yeah me too

Im really starting to think the PS4 may be some large steps ahead of the nextbox in terms of power just by what they are alluding to be their strategy. I really think Kinect is going to ruin the chances of the nextbox being a powerhouse, which is too bad. I'd prefer sony and ms to both push the power, I guess time will tell.

It's like Sony want me to sell my Vita. Oh boy, 2 announcements, Youtube and PS1 compatibility, that's a pretty fucking amazing lineup House. Who wouldn't buy your system with those system sellers. Does any of Sony's management outside of Yoshida have any fucking clue what they're doing?

MercuryLS

Banned
I hope Sony will go with a normal controller and zero gimmicks so they can focus on powerful hardware while being reasonably priced. I just hope they wont be packing Eyetoys, PSmoves and pad controllers driving the cost up (to a lesser extent) like Blu-Ray did. Let Nintendo and Microsoft go with their pad controllers and Kinects.

If the stick to this, they'll have my business. Fuck the distractions, I want a super powerful machine with a regular controller. THAT'S IT.

It's like Sony want me to sell my Vita. Oh boy, 2 announcements, Youtube and PS1 compatibility, that's a pretty fucking amazing lineup House. Who wouldn't buy your system with those system sellers. Does any of Sony's management outside of Yoshida have any fucking clue what they're doing?

So you're saying Wonderbook isn't a good idea?

Top Bottom