• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BodyBuilding.com Fined $7 Million For Selling Supplements Laced With Illegal Steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzy

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInvestigations/ucm305494.htm

BOISE – U.S. Attorney Wendy J. Olson announced today that Bodybuilding.com, LLC, and Jeremy DeLuca, former president and vice president of Bodybuilding.com, LLC, pled guilty this morning in federal court in Boise to misdemeanor counts of introduction and delivery for introduction of misbranded drugs into interstate commerce. The charges are all violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. As part of the plea, Bodybuilding.com, LLC agreed to pay a $7 million fine and DeLuca agreed to pay a $600,000 fine. The United States agreed to recommend that DeLuca receive probation and not be sentenced to any prison term.

The plea agreements state that between March 2006 and September 2009, Bodybuilding.com, LLC, sold five products misbranded as dietary supplements, when they were actually drugs. The five products were: I Force Methadrol, Nutra Costal D-Stianozol, I Force Dymethazine, Rage RV5, and Genetic Edge Technologies (GET) SUS500. According to the plea agreements, the products were drugs because they contained synthetic anabolic steroids or synthetic chemical “clones” of anabolic steroids that were not dietary supplements and because they were labeled and promoted as products intended to affect the structure and function of the human body (building muscle mass). Jeremy DeLuca's plea agreement states that during the time period charged, he was president or vice president of Bodybuilding.com, LLC, and had authority over products offered for sale on the company's webstore.

Bodybuilding.com, LLC, is the largest internet retailer of supplements in the world. It does not manufacture dietary supplements, but only retails products made by others. The plea agreement further states that from 2007 to 2009, the FDA compliance officer at Bodybuilding.com, LLC informed company management, including Jeremy DeLuca, that some prohormone products carried on its website contained ingredients that did not qualify as dietary supplements.

I love BB.com.

Out of curiosity, is it really their fault if someone else is mislabeling the said product? Or is BB.com liable since they are selling it?

ToxicAdam

I'm trying to figure this out. These were supplements that had steroids clones in them, but were mislabeled as supplements. The guy who sold them is convicted, but he didn't actually make the product.

If I make homemade brownies, shove a small amount of pot in them and then sell them to a Famer's Market to sell .. the proprietor of that store goes to jail?

What products contained the steroids? I just ate my chewable amino acids that I got free from BB.com with my whey. OMG IM RAGING SO HARD GTL GTL!!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I love BB.com.

Out of curiosity, is it really their fault if someone else is mislabeling the said product? Or is BB.com liable since they are selling it?
Since they pled guilty and are paying 7 million im assuming they knew what they were selling.

I could be incorrect but if they were misguided they probably would have fought it.

Skeyser

What products contained the steroids? I just ate my chewable amino acids that I got free from BB.com with my whey. OMG IM RAGING SO HARD GTL GTL!!

"The five products were: I Force Methadrol, Nutra Costal D-Stianozol, I Force Dymethazine, Rage RV5, and Genetic Edge Technologies (GET) SUS500."

Also isn't Methadrol a prohormone? They weren't even trying to hide it lol

If they weren't I doubt they'd agree to pay 7 millions.

Since they pled guilty and are paying 7 million im assuming they knew what they were selling.

I could be incorrect but if they were misguided they probably would have fought it.

Makes sense.

I remember back in the day when Slim FX was found to have designer drugs in it. That being said, the product did give me clean energy all day and surprised the fuck out of my appetite lol

"The five products were: I Force Methadrol, Nutra Costal D-Stianozol, I Force Dymethazine, Rage RV5, and Genetic Edge Technologies (GET) SUS500."

Also isn't Methadrol a prohormone? They weren't even trying to hide it lol

The names they come up with.

Replicant

how different is their forum compared to this one, in your opinion?

I'd guess the topic titles are moar:

"This bro was totally checking me out yesterday"
"I told this chick how to squat properly"
"Which one is better: Weightgain-2000 or SRage-2500?"
"My KFC diet and how I've bulked up"
"Steam room personal stories"

and less:

"Prometheus totally sucks and Pixar is going down the drain. The world ends this year"
"Nintendo: Wii is going to rule u all this year (please buy our new console controller)"
"Spider thread #569 but you will check it out anyway"

sangreal

May 22, 2012

these products weren't laced btw. they were questionably legal designer steroids. That was the whole point of them. BB.com stopped selling designer steroids and pro-hormones years ago. This is about stuff they were selling 2006-2009

It's not like you bought whey protein and ended up with oral steroids

Dr.Acula

Banned
image.php

My God, is that a pizza?

Kettch

I know you can always buy your way out of prison with better lawyers, but rarely do you see a straight up monetary exchange for a get-out-of-jail-free card. Nice to see the justice system doing away with the illusion of justice altogether, makes for less confusion.

TheNatural

My Member!
Im zero percent shocked. Seriously, look in the ad space of any Muscle, Fitness, or Maxim ad and you see ads for exactly this type of thing. Im surprised they get away with it so long.

blackflag

This shit actually happened years ago. You can't even mention steroids or ph on their forum now without getting banned. Still not sure why a retailer is held responsible for what the suppliers put in their product and mislabeled. BBB.com doesn't own those companies. Only thing I can think of is if it was somehow proven BBB.com knew what was really in it. All of those companies are banned now. It sucks cuz iforce makes some awesome shit and they have cleaned up their act. BBB.com has the fastest shipping of just about anything other than amazon but I can't get iforce products there so I gotta wait like a week to get my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom