• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom press conference set for August 14th

Pranay

Sony's Gamescom conference will take place on August 14th at 7PM local time.

The event will take place at Staatenhaus am Rheinpark in Cologne.

Sony tends to make big announcements at Gamescom. Previously, major games and hardware revisions have been announced at the show. Insiders suggest this year's event will have a big Vita focus.

Gamescom kicks off with a business day on August 15th, before opening to consumers. The event runs until August 19th.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-gamescom-press-conference-set-for-august-14th/099842

ekim

Bingo:
- Last Of Us release date
- PS3-Slimmer announcement
- A bunch of Vita stuff
- Streaming Demos on your PS3 incoming for PS+ Members
- Beyond : Two Souls release date

Sony's Gamescom has been better than E3 for the past 2 years, I dont expect anything less. Couple new Vita announcements, PS3MegaSlim, pricecut and some new Indie titles for PSN, everyone will be happy.

ekim

The absence of MS is kind of odd - I suspect them doing a DIY keynote for Q4 2012/Q1 2013.
It fits the new direction MS is heading (see the sudden Surface keynote and the warm words from Wozniak) and if I had to guess, I'd say they announce the 720 on their own sooner than later.

solarus

There has to be NEW vita announcements, not a fuck will be given if they have a 'vita focus' but show games we have seen already.

Majine

Banned
He'll only be making a cameo to announce PS Slim and Wonderbook. Jim Ryan's got this one.

ryan610.jpg

Oh. That guy.

watershed

Banned
The new ps3 model will probably debut here, but for the Vita I can't even begin to guess. Well, I guess some previously unannounced games. Maybe stuff they held back from E3.

Didn't Naughty Dog say "either this fall or early next year" when announcing it, or have they said something different since the reveal?

I don't know why but I also have Q1 2013 in mind.

VG247 said:
Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has killed off any chance of a 2012 launch for The Last of Us, telling VG247 it won’t launch this year.

"We are not ready to talk about 2013. But some of the games we showed like God of War and The Last of Us are not coming out this year."

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/06/no-2012-launch-for-the-last-of-us-confirms-yoshida/

Mario007

"the lights are making my eyes hurt"

Haha yeah, great first ever Press Conference. At least he talked about how he absolute-fucking-ly loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooves Uncharted and nothing has ever given him more pleasure (if I remember correctly, I might be exaggerating a little here).

Also there is a chance of a price cut to the PSP Street, PS Vita and PS Move here as well. Why?

1. Well first off they cut the price of PS3, PS Move and PSP (with PSP Street) last year all at the same time at Gamescon. I can see them doing something similar.

2. Re PSP Street, Sony has said that the PSP actually brings quite a profit for them and that they sometimes struggle to meet supplies. With PSP Street being extremely gimped anyway, I'd say one last price cut of around 30 euro will be a nice send-off to the emerging markets where it can keep on selling 2-3 million a year.

3. Re PS Move. Sony will want to push Move's sales a bit. They will already have Wonderbook launching and it seems that is going to be "Better with Move". Thus I can see either a 10-20 euro price-cut on move (the tech shouldn't be that expensive anymore anyway) or Wonderbook Bundles with free Move starter pack when Wonderbook is bought. Sony London's casual output will probably bring about another move game, so a small price cut on the starter pack would be nice.

4. Re Vita, and I think this is the biggest. I can see a 50 euro price-cut but not based on 'Sony should be in panic mode'-line of thinking. Instead we have to think that Vita is based on off-the-shelf components used in Smartphones. So let's look at smartphones as a comparison. Most smartphones don't actually get big, public price cuts but they do decrease in value over the time. In about half a year this can range from 50-100 euros (unless it's a model that's flying off the shelves like GSII where Samsung wants to keep those profits coming). One look at Sony's own Xperia Arc S. In Janaury the phone costs 400 euro. Now it is down to 300 in about 6 moths. Now factoring in that Sony has since launched many new phone models, I think a 50 euro price cut would be achievable. Sony themselves have said that they're launching Vita with a high price point in order bring it down within 2-3 years.

StuBurns

Banned
Didn't Naughty Dog say "either this fall or early next year" when announcing it, or have they said something different since the reveal?
I believe GI speculated Q4'12/Q1'13 in their article, but the director said they never specified any release window, and they still have a lot of work to do. Another NDer was on the Bombcast during E3 and he said the thing they've been showing is the team's vertical slice. However, on Jimmy Fallen they did confirm 2013.

So assuming it's really as early into development as it appears, fall 2013 seems likely.

I believe GI speculated Q4'12/Q1'13 in their article, but the director said they never specified any release window, and they still have a lot of work to do. Another NDer was on the Bombcast during E3 and he said the thing they've been showing is the team's vertical slice. However, on Jimmy Fallen they did confirm 2013.

So assuming it's really as early into development as it appears, fall 2013 seems likely.

I just think Fall 2013 would be really weird considering what we expect the market to look like at that point with new consoles and all that. Early fall perhaps, or late summer around E3 or so to get away from the obvious comparions that will be made between the game and next gen launch titles.

But then again, we don't know squat in regards to where they are in terms of production, but having been in development for two years already should mean something at this point.

Man, wish some megatons were possible, it won't happen though. Fully expect Sony to continue to look out of touch with what people are hoping to see from them.

Man, wish some megatons were possible, it won't happen though. Fully expect Sony to continue to look out of touch with what people are hoping to see from them.

We will get Vita stuff, a new PS3 and thats it. If anyone expects them to do something next gen or something totally insane out of left field, then they are crazy.

StuBurns

Banned
I just think Fall 2013 would be really weird considering what we expect the market to look like at that point with new consoles and all that. Early fall perhaps, or late summer around E3 or so to get away from the obvious comparions that will be made between the game and next gen launch titles.

But then again, we don't know squat in regards to where they are in terms of production, but having been in development for two years already should mean something at this point.
I doubt Sony are launching PS4 next fall. And they don't care what MS is doing in terms of how it makes their first party titles look. Sony shipped GoW2 well into the 360's life.

Sony still need a big fall release, everyone else is going to be on PS4 at this point. TLoU is their block buster swan song.

Top Bottom