• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward and id hiring for next-gen

An Infinity Ward resume and multiple job listings suggest that the studio’s next game will be available on next-generation consoles. According to the resume of Modern Warfare 3 engineer Andrew Aye, Infinity Ward is currently working on an unannounced title that will be available on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PCs with DirectX11 support and TBA platforms. Those TBA platforms, of course, are very likely the next-generation Xbox and PlayStation, which are also heavily rumored to support DirectX11.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen evidence that Infinity Ward’s next game is for next generation platforms, following a job listing mentioning next-gen technologies that surfaced in January. Listings currently available on the studio’s official site are seeking a senior technical VFX artist who can “raise the bar for visual effects on current and next generation hardware” and a senior engineer to “implement gameplay systems and features for an exciting unannounced next generation console title.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/25/next-gen-call-of-duty-suggested-by-resume-job-listings

Doom and Quake creator Id Software is hiring for a new game on next generation consoles. According to a listing for a UI programmer, Id is seeking a candidate “to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.”

The listing adds that “experience with DirectX 11 [is] a plus.” DirectX11 support is notably absent from current-generation consoles, but rumored to be included in next-gen systems.

Finally, the listing notes that "familiarity with id Software games, characters, brands and universes" is a requirement, potentially hinting that this project could be Id's long-rumored Doom 4.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/26/rage-developer-hiring-for-next-gen-game

inb4shockingnews

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack
Everyone should know ahead of time that I can't say ANYTHING about next gen consoles. I need to avoid the topic completely.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
inb4shockingnews

What's more interesting here is that it seems this IW-developed Call of Duty game might be cross-gen. It would make zero financial sense for Activision to develop two different CoD games at the same time.

Either the next-gen version gets downported or the current-gen ones gets prettied up a bit.

Also, not directed at Shinobi, but nice cribbing by IGN! That article and finding didn't originate from them. It was from Kotaku and by Superannuation

I know it's kinda off-topic, but shit like this is annoying. This Andrew Goldfarb guy is a real peach! No sourcing of it whatsoever, too. Classy.

If you write about games for a living, this sort of thing is the perfect example of why so much flack is given to supposed "games journalists." I've had this happen to me a few times before and it's weird. It's like they don't teach anyone the proper skillset to do their job properly.

End Rant.

Sorry bout that, but yeah, this next-gen CoD is a given. I assume it will run on UE4, too.

I think a good topic to talk about as well is can CoD maintain its grip when next-gen rolls around? People thought before that Halo was unbeatable but it got beat. Same with PES (beaten by FIFA), etc.

Now? Battlefield is making a very strong headway against CoD. Would it be funny if BF eventually beats CoD and then people will inherently hate that franchise next?

Or...the market could move away from FPS' altogether...I predict it now! Next big genre is kart racing! Woo! ;)

s7evn

Seems like PC devs that are utilizing DX10 and 11 right now are in great shape to create the first set of games for the next generation of tech on consoles as long as the porting is easy enough.

Top Bottom