• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red hiring a multiplayer programmer for their dark fantasy RPG (Witcher 3)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm actually a bit surprised at this one. I've been checking the job pages of the last few singleplayer only hold-outs, and given the nature of CD Projekt, I was expecting them to remain one of them.

The job posting in under the Dark Fantasy RPG category, though the job posting makes it sound like it could be for both.

CD Projekt Job Page said:
Multiplayer Programmer

CD Projekt RED is looking for an experienced multiplayer programmer to work in our core team. Your main responsibility will be to prepare our engine for challenges of upcoming online component of our future games. You will lead our studio through necessary steps to adapt to the new tasks and different way of thinking where necessary.

Responsibilities:

Creating a roadmap of changes necessary to add multiplayer to the Red Engine
Designing and implementing network layer of the Red Engine.
Helping in design and implementation of multiplayer changes to existing systems
Participating in shaping the future of the Red Engine

Required skills & experience:

Expertise in C/C++ language and OO programming.
Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, UDP, NAT and network issues
At least one shipped multi-platform, multiplayer title
Familiarity with existing network and replication solutions
Experience with matchmaking solutions on different platforms

Pluses:

Title shipped for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC
Experience in developing RPG games
Experience with physics in multiplayer environment
Experience creating gameplay systems in multiplayer environment

We offer you:

A modern and relaxed studio atmosphere with cutting-edge technologies
A chance to work in an international environment in a booming industry
Competitive salary and project based bonuses
Private health care & and MultiSport card
Up to 26 days of paid vacation per year
An exciting chance to work among the creators of one of the most acclaimed role-playing games on the market
A step by step assistance and ‘Relocation Package’ for foreigners willing to establish in Warsaw
Source: http://cdpred.com/multiplayer-programmer/

inky

Expect outrage

I'm not outraged but I don't see how MP could improve The Witcher series, especially a follow up in the vein of 2. Arena mode fights?

New games can be built from the ground up with it in mind so, whatever. We don't know what those are about yet.

Kind of disappointed, but as long as any hypothetical multiplayer wouldn't be taking away resources from the single player, I wouldn't be too upset. It would be a bit of a letdown for CD Projekt to join the bandwagon, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not outraged but I don't see how MP could improve The Witcher series, especially a follow up in the vein of 2. Arena mode fights?

New games can be built from the ground up with it in mind so, whatever. We don't know what those are about yet.

Well, it says future projects, so I suspect the shooter rpg is also involved here, even if it is under Dark Fantasy RPG heading.

inky

Well, it says future projects, so I suspect the shooter rpg is also involved here, even if it is under Dark Fantasy RPG heading.

Yea, and that's fine for that game if it makes sense, even if they are just building it into the engine if they hope to share it with other studios, but for the third installment of TW? I don't know... I'd be extremely disappointed if that happened for sure.

Jac_Solar

While I don't play Multiplayer and think any spending on it is a waste of resources in most cases where it's a single player game, the arena mode in Witcher 2 on a bigger scale would have benefited from Multiplayer for some people -- ie different arenas, co-op together versus monsters, some sort of alliance or guild with other players.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so Witcher Effect 3.

guess they want to sell after seeing W2 bombed hard on 360 and thinking multiplayer is the best way to do that.

Zaventem

so Witcher Effect 3.

guess they want to sell after seeing W2 bombed hard on 360 and thinking multiplayer is the best way to do that.

The Spiritual successor for Demon's Souls came to 360 and it's still good, but then again that game has forced pvp and multiplayer mechanics already built in the franchise so it makes sense.I think it's just PC developers that are used to selling out.Sucks for you i guess.

itxaka

Defeatist
I don't get it.

It only says that experience with rpgs is a plus which I take as they want someone that understands the games and how to integrate multilayer in their rpg focused engine.

Why are people thinking this is for Witcher 3?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't get it.

It only says that experience with rpgs is a plus which I take as they want someone that understands the games and how to integrate multilayer in their rpg focused engine.

Why are people thinking this is for Witcher 3?

Click the link and look at the side bar.

CiSTM

Banned
Is CD Projekt RED still making Cyberpunk 2020 game?
ePStU.jpg

I like Witcher series but I would rather see something new from them and being big fan of Cyberpunk 2020 I really hope they haven't canned it so they can make another dark fantasy RPG (that is more or less likely Witcher 3).

Exuro

Is CD Projekt RED still making Cyberpunk 2020 game?

I like Witcher series but I would rather see something new from them and being big fan of Cyberpunk 2020 I really hope they haven't canned it so they can make another dark fantasy RPG (that is more or less likely Witcher 3).
Why would you think they canned it?

Orayn

Baldur's Gate had multiplayer. Deus Ex had multiplayer, albeit through a patch. It requires revisionist history to be doomy and gloomy already.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's stupid not to include multiplayer these days. Looking forward to co-op and versus arena challenges.

I hope this is the LAST thing they're adding on there. I loved the Witcher 2, but there were several very rough areas that could've used more polishing (Yes, I played the EE edition), particularly the imprecision of the combat and the terrible UI. I wouldn't really want them to devote resources to a new aspect of their game that will most likely come with its big share of challenges and polishing needs when I don't believe they got the basic system perfect yet.

Card Boy

Banned
It's probably just co-op Arena stuff. The foundations where there in Witcher 2, its just boring doing arena by yourself.

Top Bottom