• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Announces Major Update to Steam Community.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://steamcommunity.com/communitycontent

Press Release - Valve
New features announced each day this week, beta access available soon

August 13, 2012--Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced a major update coming to the Steam Community.

This update focuses on highlighting and enabling the best user-created screenshots, videos, and Workshop items for games across Steam while making it easier for the community to discuss their favorite games.

Every game on Steam will have a new Game Hub. The Hubs highlight the most popular user-created screenshots, videos, and Steam Workshop items as rated by the community and combine it with related news, discussions, and comments for the game all in one central location.

"The New Steam Community is all about showing off the best content that gamers have created," says Emily Kent at Valve. "With over 89 million screenshots, videos, Steam Workshop maps, levels, mods, and items, plus news articles and product updates, the community has created an unbelievable wealth of content around their favorite games."

Steam is a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC and Mac games and digital entertainment, with over 40 million accounts around the world and over 2000 titles offered.

Check back each day (August 13-16th) for a preview of a new set of features at www.steamcommunity.com/communitycontent.

Haunted

Pretty nice, but I was expecting (hoping) for some upgrades to the client's basic functionality.

oh well

JustinBB7

Like the game hub thing. Hope everything that you made/have is easy to find on your own profile as well but I guess it will be.

Rapstah

I wonder what kind of stuff they could be saving for the other three days if it's all community changes. This pretty much changes all of how Community works already.

DTKT

Upgrade the client to 2012 stability and speed standards. :|

No more hangs, no more infinite loading. Make it blazing fast!

Sethos

Banned
I appreciate they want to focus on so many aspects within Steam but how about they give the client itself an overhaul? It's starting to pile of up little issues and niggles, most of them seem to have been there for years.

ampere

Cool, main thing I use is comparing achievements to people on my friends list, but I will check out some of the new features

DTKT

lol, they only show one day and people crying already.

Well, it doesn't seem like any of the updates are about the client itself. Everything seems to be focused on the "Community" aspect of things.

It's just that the client sorely needs a new coat of paint and a major rework.

August 13, 2012--Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced a major update coming to the Steam Community.
No mention of Half-Life. Valve is trying to make us forget about Half-Life 3 so they can cancel it subtly :(.

So they're making it more like xfire. Awesome. That's all I ever wanted.

I hope non steam games also get game hubs

they won't

Orayn

Looks pretty cool. I actually emailed Gabe with a link to this thread about the Steam performance/stability concerns, so maybe we'll get an answer.

Xanonano

New?
ibe2q9rIAH5poL.jpg

Looks like there will be a client update after all :D

Megasoum

Banned
All that is great but I still want them to bring back the dedicated "Download" button at the top... I hate the dropdown list in the library.

Tacitus_

Well that explains things.

Nabs

All that is great but I still want them to bring back the dedicated "Download" button at the top... I hate the dropdown list in the library.

If you have anything downloaded or currently downloading, you can just click bar at the bottom of the client.

Top Bottom