• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: darksiders 2 faceoff aka vigil devs lie

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-face-off

Across a general run of play it's clear that both versions perform very similarly throughout a variety of different scenes. For example, when traversing the environments via horseback, dips in frame-rate and screen-tearing appear at similar points on both consoles, with dense forest areas and scenes with detailed open areas causing some obvious issues. The initially smooth 30FPS is compromised with a juddering effect which impacts controls (they feel noticeably more laggy) while shattering image consistency.

Similarly, both consoles run into the same issues during combat when the engine is stressed, with plenty of dropped frames and screen-tearing impacting on the fluidity of the action, especially evident on effects-heavy boss attacks. Fighting a large group of enemies in enclosed spaces causes similar problems.

MFsHr.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39912727&postcount=85
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39914135&postcount=98

Darksiders 2: The Digital Foundry Verdict

It's safe to say that Darksiders 2 is a worthy buy on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with multi-platform aspects well handled, on consoles at least. In fact, outside of a few specific elements, such as the use of higher-resolution textures on the PS3 and additional lighting on the 360, there really is nothing to separate the two games at all.

Performance is also very similar during gameplay, with neither version really commanding a noticeable advantage. Any variances in this area are more likely down to subtle difference in how we played the game, rather than how well each console deals with the rendering load. In that respect we think that Darksiders 2 is worth checking out regardless of which platform you happen to own - both consoles offer up the same core experience with very similar plus and minus points in terms of visual quality.

On the other hand, it's difficult to avoid the feeling that the PC version comes across as a barebones release transplanted from console DNA. The experience is somewhat held back by the console-quality assets, which don't scale up all that well when the game is run in higher resolutions, and the lack of any PC-specific graphical upgrades comes across as something of a disappointment. It is rather pleasing to see that high frame-rates are easily attainable on a number of configurations, even if this is more down to the lack of advanced graphical effects and memory intensive texture work on offer, as opposed to being well optimised for the PC platform. Either way, running the game at 1080p60 easily makes it the best version to get, with smoother gameplay and more responsive controls delivering a tangible edge over the consoles.

Apparently there was some BS told about the PC version as well but I don't know anything about that. Feel free to enlighten me!

http://icrontic.com/article/darksiders-ii-and-the-triumphant-return-of-pc-gaming

I decided to start an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit, so that I could field questions from gamers in real-time and get answers straight from the source. If you read through some of those, you see a pattern: most people are concerned with the PC version of the game. I was able to pose these questions directly to the developers as they were being asked. Will the keyboard controls be good? How is the PC version of the game? Can you show us the graphics options?

On the question of graphics options, I was told by both Fitzloff and Everett that the PC version will have a fully tweakable config file as well as the standard in-game graphics options for various resolutions, settings, and options. However, if you want to get really deep, the config file will be there.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-face-off

MFsHr.png

Apparently there was some BS told about the PC version as well but I don't know anything about that. Feel free to enlighten me!

They said it would have standard PC options and/or a config file.

Yeah, didn't happen.
I guess they needed it to sell as much as possible, with THQ's financial situation and all, but they pretty much straight out lied to us. Very shitty.

In what you quoted, I'm not seeing any mention of tearing. What's the problem, then?
The problem is that it DOES indeed have tearing on consoles, and the Vsync option in the PC version does nothing. (You can force it through external programs though.)

BY2K

Membero Americo
We were told the PC version would have the usual PC options (AA, Filtering, Texture Quality, all that jazz) plus a ini file to push things even further.

We didn't get any of that.

Worst is there WAS a config folder when the game came out, but it was taken out soon after.

In what you quoted, I'm not seeing any mention of tearing. What's the problem, then?

There is screen tearing in the game, you don't need Digital Foundry to tell you that.

Eideka

Banned
Either way, running the game at 1080p60 easily makes it the best version to get, with smoother gameplay and more responsive controls delivering a tangible edge over the consoles.

But yeah the PC version could have been better. although I think it looks fine.

JdFoX187

Banned
There is tearing in the console versions, according to various posters in the official thread that have played it. A dev commented that the PC version would also have more graphics options than the port of the first game, which is not true. Though the PC version does look REALLY nice with some forced AA and other settings.

EDIT: Beaten.

1-D_FTW

I'm just hoping either they release a patch or Nvidia sets up a 3D Vision profile that makes the game look as amazing in 3D as the original game. Game's got some major issues with shadows right now. If this can be fixed, I'll have zero issues with the PC graphics.

A mod site called Helix mods has some work around, but they make specific mention of patch 1.01 breaking the game (so don't install it). It's a Steamworks game, so I don't how you can not install it (assuming there actually was a patch already released. Didn't get it until a week after release).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In the bit quoted from the article, I'm not seeing any mention of tearing. What's the problem, then?

There is absolutely tearing in the console version, and this is coming from the kind of person who doesn't notice it unless it's REALLY bad.

For example, I never noticed any tearing on Sleeping Dogs or Fall of Cybertron on 360, but it's everywhere in Darksiders 2

soultron

Banned
There is absolutely tearing in the console version, and this is coming from the kind of person who doesn't notice it unless it's REALLY bad.

For example, I never noticed any tearing on Sleeping Dogs or Fall of Cybertron on 360, but it's everywhere in Darksiders 2

Ah, my apologies. I thought it was specifically about that issue since hdn had commented saying there would be no tearing on consoles.

If there are any links to the mention of a config file I would appreciate it so I can edit it into the OP.

Game runs great on all platforms.

Just play it and enjoy it, sheesh.

I have played the game on PS360 and it doesn't run "great". Besides my main point of contention is that I was lied to.

androvsky

In the bit quoted from the article, I'm not seeing any mention of tearing. What's the problem, then?
Don't know if the OP just added this quote after you posted or not, but here it is anyway.
Across a general run of play it's clear that both versions perform very similarly throughout a variety of different scenes. For example, when traversing the environments via horseback, dips in frame-rate and screen-tearing appear at similar points on both consoles, with dense forest areas and scenes with detailed open areas causing some obvious issues. The initially smooth 30FPS is compromised with a juddering effect which impacts controls (they feel noticeably more laggy) while shattering image consistency.

Similarly, both consoles run into the same issues during combat when the engine is stressed, with plenty of dropped frames and screen-tearing impacting on the fluidity of the action, especially evident on effects-heavy boss attacks. Fighting a large group of enemies in enclosed spaces causes similar problems.

Screen tearing on PC is pretty fucking terrible. Wish there were more video settings, but I'm happy with 1080p60 at least, but fucked up if they promised more.

While I love the game there are a few problems on the PC version I'd like to see fixed, the HUD problem if the game is running at 2560x1440, the inability to name possessed weapons (minor issue I know, but it's in the console versions) and the issue of not being able to feed items to possessed weapons that are not in the first three rows of sacrificable items

Synless

For all the mandatory installs that are forced on PS3 players, would it kill developers to allow a for an optional install for games that don't?

ironcreed

Banned
Noticed just a bit of tearing here and there in the PS3 version, but nothing major. Main issues for me so far is freezing and getting stuck in the environment. It could have used a bit more technical polish, but it's still been a good ride thus far.

BY2K

Membero Americo
really? I picked this up along with sleeping dogs and have sunk nearly 30 hours into DSII

even tho Sleeping dogs looks great-and runs beautifully on my hardware- I keep coming back to DSII.

just me I guess.

It's not just you. I love it and I will cry if we don't get a Darksiders III.

Noticed just a bit of tearing here and there in the PS3 version, but nothing major. Main issues for me so far is freezing and getting stuck in the environment. It could have used a bit more technical polish, but it's still been a good ride thus far.

I had the weirdest random death bug on the PC version. Only happened once. No bad guys around, full health, just suddenly died. It was pretty fucking weird.

forrest

formerly nacire
While the end result wasn't quite what was mentioned, it's still my GOTY thus far nudging out Journey. I also wouldn't be so quick to get your pitchforks out and cry foul.

StuBurns

Banned
That doesn't prove anyone lied. Maybe it was vsync'd, but they were never able to hit the performance they wanted, so they unlocked it after that post was made.

Haunted

It is rather pleasing to see that high frame-rates are easily attainable on a number of configurations, even if this is more down to the lack of advanced graphical effects and memory intensive texture work on offer, as opposed to being well optimised for the PC platform. Either way, running the game at 1080p60 easily makes it the best version to get, with smoother gameplay and more responsive controls delivering a tangible edge over the consoles.
sick putdown

But yeah, even if it's barebones, I think the PC version looks quite good for being a console up-port.

Waaghals

Screen tearing on PC is pretty fucking terrible. Wish there were more video settings, but I'm happy with 1080p60 at least, but fucked up if they promised more.

Wouldn't it be possible to use Nvidia Inspector or radeonpro or similar tools to force triple buffering in the game?

Should remove the problem.

ironcreed

Banned
I had the weirdest random death bug on the PC version. Only happened once. No bad guys around, full health, just suddenly died. It was pretty fucking weird.

Well, his name is Death, so it's fitting. xD Seriously, it's a great game, but it could definitely use some technical spit shine.

I don't think Vsync does shit. I haven't actually tried turning it off, but if this is the improvement, holy shit.

Ehh. If they promised one thing and delivered another, people have the right to be a little pissed.
I do not think vsync did anything in ds1 either. I gave up playing cause all the tearing gave me a headache tbh.

_machine

Wouldn't it be possible to use Nvidia Inspector or radeonpro or similar tools to force triple buffering in the game?

I've tried it with both RadeonPro and D3DOverrider and it still tears in some areas. No stuttering though and it runs very smoothly.

Ridley327

I really wished that the game performed a lot better than it does, since it does have a big impact on my enjoyment. It's a fun game and a big step forward from the first one, but they really needed to iron out the framerate and the screen tearing a lot better than they did. Same thing goes for the random bugs that cause the game to freeze; one time, I had all the enemies in the Forge Lands stop being enemies, and another time involved the SFX and voice audio being completely cut out. Both times ended up freezing the game.

Khal_B

I find the game amazing, personally, but was really let down when I went into the options menu to see that it was the same as DS1, ie. just a resolution change. Also, the stuttering was really annoying. If a future patch enables some more graphics options, I'll use that as an excuse for a second playthrough.

1-D_FTW

That only applies to OpenGL games.

D3D with triple buffering should work for someone having an issue though.

EDIT: Guess it makes no difference. No tearing for me at 1080P 3D (120hz), but as I mentioned earlier, I need some fixes on the shadows.

While I love the game there are a few problems on the PC version I'd like to see fixed, the HUD problem if the game is running at 2560x1440, the inability to name possessed weapons (minor issue I know, but it's in the console versions) and the issue of not being able to feed items to possessed weapons that are not in the first three rows of sacrificable items

Holy shit you just blew my mind. I thought I was the only one having these problems.

Here's how to fix stuttering and VSync for the PC version btw:

- Ingame VSync setting: Off
- Use MSI Afterburner to limit the game to 60 fps
- Use D3D Overrider to force VSync and Tripple Buffering

Worked flawlessly for me, NO tearing and NO stuttering. I'm very sensitive to both.

Skilletor

PC version is a mess. I want to play the game but the stuttering is unbearable!

I use D3Doverdrive and some other program and completely got rid of the stuttering. There was talk about it in the OT. I'm a PC noob, so I don't remember the name of the other program.

But yeah, Vsync, forced AA, 60fps, no stuttering. Game looks and runs great.

forrest

formerly nacire
I don't think Vsync does shit. I haven't actually tried turning it off, but if this is the improvement, holy shit.

Ehh. If they promised one thing and delivered another, people have the right to be a little pissed.

A statement was made prior to release and no one sans Hdn or the people of Vigil know the circumstances surrounding the game at that time. Maybe there were frame rate dips but no tearing, but they instead decided to make the game tear as opposed to stay at 30fps. Who knows. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. That's just how I roll.

Top Bottom