• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to Feature Full 1080p Resolution [Up: Port Dev: No, it's 720p]

onQ123

MOD EDIT: Dev statement courtesy of NintendoWorldReport:

The CEO of Straight Right, Tom Crago, has told NWR that, "The game will run at 720p."

-----------------

The Wii U will be getting the mass effect possible on a console.

For the first time on a home console, Mass Effect 3 will run in full 1080p resolution, according to September's Nintendo Power, issue V282.

The article has also re-confirmed that the extended cut of the ending sequence and other various DLC characters and weapons for the four player online co-op mode will also be included on the disk.

Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U is currently scheduled to release alongside the Wii U at launch.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31492

Thoraxes

Good thing for those purchasers that they get all the bonus content too.

1080p console version sounds pretty sweet.

Crayons

Banned
You can finally enjoy Mass Effect 3's amazing plot on the toilet with it's glorious 1080p full HD graphics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good if true, but I'd wait for a confirmation from the studio porting it. The official, direct feed screenshots of the Wii U version have all be 720p.

Seik

Banned
Now you can experience the awful ending in 1080p On consoles

Doesn't the extra DLC, which they include on disc for free in this one, kind of fixed it?

I don't know, I never touched the game nor watched the ending, but I'm interested to buy it.

I don't want to be a Debbie downer or anything, but I need direct confirmation to know that this is true. I mean, games on the PS3 and Xbox 360 "run" in 1080P.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Doesn't the extra DLC, which they include on disc for free in this one, kind of fixed it?

I don't know, I never touched the game nor watched the ending, but I'm interested.

The DLC was free for everyone, and it 'fixed' a good few problems. The root of Mass Effect 3's ending disappointment isn't fixable without a retcon.

aeolist

Banned

I don't know, I never touched the game nor watched the ending, but I'm interested to buy it.
New ending is still terrible.

The game as a whole had atrocious writing and a largely nonsensical plot.

Seik

Banned
The DLC was free for everyone, and it 'fixed' a good few problems. The root of Mass Effect 3's ending disappointment isn't fixable without a retcon.

I see, but my question is: Is this game worth it?

I never played any ME games, but I heard they did something to quickly explain all the backstory and the choices you had to make. Is the game bad or is the ending SO bad that it ruins the entire game to a point of reaching a buyer's remorse state?

Yeah, they fixed it like putting a bandaid on an amputee

New ending is still terrible.

The game as a whole had atrocious writing and a largely nonsensical plot.

Damn, ok I see. :(

I never played any ME games, but I heard they did something to quickly explain all the backstory and the choices you had to make. Is the game bad or is the ending SO bad that it ruins the entire game to a point of reaching a buyer's remorse state?

That's only a question you yourself can answer after you play it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

ME3 is the best game of 2012, of course is "worth it".

EatChildren

The value of Mass Effect 3 is relative to player investment, and it's a long, tiresome debate depending on which parties chose to participate. Mass Effect 3 Wii U features an interactive digital comic covering the first two games to bring new players up to speed, rather than dumping them directly in the events of the end of a trilogy (which would be dumb). Ending aside, which is terrible, I'm in the camp of thinking the game is still quite fun. But my personal value of the franchise is tightly linked to having played the past two games, experiencing all events of the trilogy first hand with my own character and not through a summary comic. Personally, I think Mass Effect 3's value as a stand-alone title is far, far less than for people who have stuck with the trilogy, ending disappointment or otherwise.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

A lot of people greatly exagerate about the ending. It's bad, but not game/franchise ruining bad.

Still going to need Leviathan on that disk to warrant a $60 purchase.

I hope they're not stupid enough to sell it for 60$ when all other versions are like 40$.(At least the PC version is)

fernoca

It is a polarizing game (which is technically every game discussed across online forums :p). So, if you have the money: buy it and play it for yourself.
It is my favorite game of this year and my top played one too (over 120 hours...not including multiplayer) and got all achievements too...and I also played the first two ME games.
My only problems with the ending, were fixed with the DLC so in that aspect, I was more than satisfied with it.

A lot of people greatly exagerate about the ending. It's bad, but not game/franchise ruining bad.

Your mileage may vary, but I say it's game/franchise ruining bad. I lost all will to ever replay the games. I didn't get the extended ending because I didn't see the point, and I won't be getting any other DLC. The ending was just utter nonsense.

VerTiGo

Banned
Going to GameStop to add this to my pre-order and drop some more funds on my existing pre-order (Assassin's Creed).

I loved KOTOR and its sequel but I couldn't get into the original Mass Effect and haven't bothered to try its sequels. However, I'm a bit excited about the Wii U launch and I think I'm gonna drop for Mass Effect 3.

Still have no interest in any Nintendo developed Wii U launch games. Unless Pikmin 3 makes it.

In my case I can say the ending, bad as it was, doesn't negate the 100+ hours I spent with all three games. I was already deeply invested and thus I could shrug the ending off. For someone that hasn't played any of the games, though, I dunno. I guess it all comes down as what your expectations on the game are and how important closure is to you.

EatChildren

I hope they're not stupid enough to sell it for 60$ when all other versions are like 40$.(At least the PC version is)

It's EA. I expect From Ashes, Leviathan, and the Firefight Pack to be sold separately, alongside a full priced Wii U port. There's a reason the only DLC they're marketing as "ON THE DISK!!!" also happens to be the 100% free DLC for everyone.

I don´t think that NP could misinterpreting that way.

They could, because it happens all the time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Your mileage may vary, but I say it's game/franchise ruining bad. I lost all will to ever replay the games. I didn't get the extended ending because I didn't see the point, and I won't be getting any other DLC. The ending was just utter nonsense.

I guess that depends on how seriously you take video game stories.

DonMigs85

Could the PC Radeon 4670 run this at 30FPS 1080p?
Just to get an idea of things. I know the Wii U will have eDRAM to help the framebuffer.

Orayn

Could the PC Radeon 4670 run this at 30FPS 1080p?
Just to get an idea of things. I know the Wii U will have eDRAM to help the framebuffer.

4670? The most recent developer quotes were saying it was a derivative of the 7000 series. And I'm sure it could run 1080p30 if you tailored the settings to guarantee it.

VerTiGo

Banned
Nintendo might be adapting to new technologies. Also, wasn't there a rumour that said a few 1st. Part titles will be 1080p?

New Super Mario Bros has turned into Madden. I wouldn't expect much from it. Honestly, from Nintendo... wait for Retro.

4670? The most recent developer quotes were saying it was a derivative of the 7000 series. And I'm sure it could run 1080p30 if you tailored the settings to guarantee it.

I thought all of the rumors have said R700? That's the HD 4000 series.

Seik

Banned
Thank you guys for the answers, I'm still considering it, I'll see if they add all the extra stuff (From Ashes, Leviathan, etc.) because this stuff would make the game worth the full price, if not I'll wait post-launch for a used version, which don't bother me that much because I'm against giving away money directly to EA if they use the lame way.

Mass Effect = 1080p
New Super Mario Bros U = 720p

wat

1 knoooow that's so weird. D:

"The Wii U will be getting the mass effect possible on a console."

I think they accidentally a word.

Also, I absolutely hated the game part of the first Mass Effect and think that the sequel was leagues better. I haven't played 3 yet, but when I do it'll be on Wii U.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
*secondary source

*fansite

*paraphrased

*no confirmation

*unproven developer track record

*no other wiiu release to be rendered at 1080p for its launch

so, what's the over/under on this being another "will support resolutions up to 1080p" moment?

i'm not gonna shit on it just yet, since the only thing the touchpad is rendering is a 2D ui and that little bit of extra gpu bite has gotta go somewhere, but tread carefully.

Double D

Instead of proper endings the screen on the controller should just turn blue, green, or red while the credits roll.

Medalion

Banned
*secondary source

*fansite

*paraphrased

*no confirmation

so, what's the over/under on this being another "will support resolutions up to 1080p" moment?

i'm not gonna shit on it just yet, since the only thing the touchpad is rendering is a 2D ui and that little bit of extra gpu bite has gotta go somewhere, but tread carefully.
A console that for all intents and purposes is closer to this gen than supposedly next, most games were not 1080p native, they believe for this system's first batch of games will also be similar

ghst

thanks for the laugh
A console that for all intents and purposes is closer to this gen than supposedly next, most games were not 1080p native, they believe for this system's first batch of games will also be similar
there's also the ram issue. 1080p assets are gonna have a real hard time squeezing into a gig of shared memory.

*secondary source

*fansite

*paraphrased

*no confirmation

Well, two of your bullet points are already wrong.

Top Bottom