• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXIV: A Realm Reborn Video at PAX 2012

Jeels

There is expected to be new info revealed during tonight's event.

Uploaded by Andrew over at http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIOq-2T5V5A

It is the same area we have seen before, but there is lots of new stuff shown, including a limit break trailer. That and it's nice hearing someone speaking about the game in English.

My god, the music, world, and everything is just absolutely beautiful.

Just thought we all needed to get our minds off XIII...

Some things picked up on (not sure if this is new info, probably not):
-You can use your skills from the start of battles, you don't have to build up SP.
-LevelSync - drop down to your friends level to let them experience the game.
-Reiteration that PS3 will be able to play with PC.

And for those that haven't followed the game:

Allard said:
Well to be honest the 'new game' stuff is coming from current players (I fell into the trap too) because people keep assuming its just the same game with a new coat of paint. They are keeping some fundamental aspects of the old game like the armory system (overhauled, but still in it where equipping your tool and weapon defines your class), including the same classes, your levels, gear, items, currency, quest completion, achievements are all transferred over to the new version from the old one, but they are completely scrapping the old overworld, scrapping the old engine, old server tech, old UI just about everything about the previous game besides the fundamental concept of the armory system and some of the worlds lore is getting scrapped and redone from the ground up including most of the underlying gameplay systems like combat, questing content, additional content etc.

If you subbed XIV 1.0 for 3 months, you get a permanent subscription discount on 2.0 (along with a chocobo or something?) You should have gotten an email stating you were a legacy player. It looks like this:

rnC1J.png

2.0 is a new game and shouldn't be compared to a patch. However, if you bought the first game in physical form, 2.0 comes free.

There will be a one month free trial again.

You can still keep playing 1.0 and have your character data transfer over, up to November 1st. After that date you can still keep playing but your data will not transfer over.

There will be a separate client for XIV: A Realm Reborn (Thanks again Allard). This includes alpha and beta testing.

Please correct me if there's anything wrong in the OP!

Karishin

Banned
Are they going to give any free time to us suckers who bought this thing when it was released? I would like to try the new patch, but not enough to pay.

Jeels

Are they going to give any free time to us suckers who bought this thing when it was released? I would like to try the new patch, but not enough to pay.

It is not a patch. Not even close. It is a brand new game.

And you should have gotten an email designating you a Legacy player. It actually makes your XIV 2.0 subscriptions discounted for life.

kiryogi

Banned
It is not a patch. Not even close. It is a brand new game.

And you should have gotten an email designating you a Legacy player. It actually makes your XIV 2.0 subscriptions discounted for life.

Legacy was only for those that were paying for a 3month sub before a certain point.

kiryogi

Banned
Great great post there. Thanks for contributing.

There's really not enough of it. D:

Heard a few guys after the presentation talking about how "They expect me to buy a new client? and pay for a sub? No way" D: I so wanted to pick a fight.

Karishin

Banned
Messed around in my account and it says the monthly fee would be $9.99, is that the new norm, or the discount?

Also should I reinstall off my discs, or is there a new client?

Chairhome

Man, that looks pretty awesome. I want to wait till Realm Reborn, but I also don't want to wait and start a guy now. :-D

Allard

That should probably be emphasized.

You don't want this game to fail. It deserves a chance.

Well to be honest the 'new game' stuff is coming from current players (I fell into the trap too) because people keep assuming its just the same game with a new coat of paint. They are keeping some fundamental aspects of the old game like the armory system (overhauled, but still in it where equipping your tool and weapon defines your class), including the same classes, your levels, gear, items, currency, quest completion, achievements are all transferred over to the new version from the old one, but they are completely scrapping the old overworld, scrapping the old engine, old server tech, old UI just about everything about the previous game besides the fundamental concept of the armory system and some of the worlds lore is getting scrapped and redone from the ground up including most of the underlying gameplay systems like combat, questing content, additional content etc.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm not an MMO guy but that really does look great. It looks and sounds like they actually care. Allowing you to drop your level down so you can play with friends is a cool touch, and the combat looks pretty rad

Loved FFXII to death and it seems reminiscent of that, which is the Right Way to do it. Interested to see how this is received

Karishin

Banned

All new everything eh, So should I install of my DVD's and patch that or is it going to be a whole separate download.

Kientin

So they are adding in level sync in FFXIV. That's fantastic, it was such a great addition in FFXI and one that I've used many times to level up with my brother when he joined and my friends just to hang around when they needed to level up a lower level job.

Teknoman

Brand new game lmao... So people who bought the first one are beta testers... Awesome! Hope it bombs and become F2P.

ib2JyScoi6Z0c2.gif

You should really check in on the history before the team switch, how the game has progressed to now, and how the new world will come into being.

And yes, technically everyone who bought XIV are beta testers...in that they get to test XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Allard

That's nice, Guess i'll install it again and wait for the patch, or new client, or whatever I need to do.

Its a new client :) complete with its own alpha and beta testing. The 1.0 game is going to 'shut down' in early November. Alpha will begin sometime this month, after that beta, and eventually the new client release. On November 1st is the cut off date for saving your characters progress to get ported over to the 2.0/A realm reborn version of the game.

Karishin

Banned
Its a new client :) complete with its own alpha and beta testing. The 1.0 game is going to 'shut down' in early November. Alpha will begin sometime this month, after that beta, and eventually the new client release. On November 1st is the cut off date for saving your characters progress to get ported over to the 2.0/A realm reborn version of the game.

Do original owners get in the tests, or only ones who subbed for the 3 months?

Sorry for so many questions.

*Everyone* gets in on the beta tests, original owner or not. All being an old subscriber gets you is the discount, and then only if you subscribed for 3 paid months after a specific date (but before the end of May).

Karishin

Banned
Thanks for all the info, I don't think i'll be getting the discount since I didn't pay for the 3 months, maybe I will.

Allard

Its OK, I tend to answer a lot on the community forum anyways because I REALLY like what the producer has been doing for the game and want it to succeed. Right now we don't exactly know for sure because outside of some details on the Alpha we got earlier this week, we don't know exactly how or when precisely beta will come out nor how extensive it will be. We just know eventually they will let everyone who has a registered the original game (perhaps active or legacy players getting in quicker) will get into beta at some point along with people who hadn't bought the game will get a chance to register to get in to the new beta. There will also be a PS3 closed beta sometime in the middle of this phased process which was tentatively scheduled around November as well. He says the game will not come out until he is satisfied but internally everything is going as planned thus far. He really doesn't want to launch the new official client with the live servers till enough feedback has been returned, and unlike the original launch, actually addressed.

TheMink

Holy crap sooo much hype.

That new lvl sync system is a godsend, my biggest trouble with XIV was finding someone my lvl to play with. Even from the gaf LS it was tough.

People who are angry about "beta testing" FF14 have themselves to blame. I understand forming your own opinions on games, but look at the frickin' reviews for its. People didn't just say the game was poor, its an unplayable and unfinished mess. I learned not to pick up games on release from Brink so maybe I'm still butthurt from that (luckily, I got my 60 bucks back). And at least with Brink I could get my money back; I think I read somewhere someone payed for a few months of the game? You're not gonna get that money back.

Anyway, a realm reborn is looking pretty good. Read that SE gave a realm reborn to a game designer who actually plays MMOs. The interface is actually navigatable, this combat system looks decent, and they seem to have added elements which I think all Final Fantasy games need to even be called a Final Fantasy game, in one way or another: limit breaks, chocobos (pretty sure these were at least in the original game but they look more useful this time around), summoning, and a lot of famous FF enemies (I think I pointed out Behemoth, Coeurl, and Iron Giant).

Edit:

I still think the setting looks bad and wished they went for the modern FF's style (FF7, FF8, FF10, and FF13). I can't really describe what the style is of those games, kinda reminds me of Diesel Punk, but have very bright and tropical colors (just look at Balamb Garden, pretty much any place in Spira), with some elements of used future (all of Spira), Dungeon Punk (the shrines in FF10, the godlike beings of FF13 were basically machines; I'm pretty sure FF14 has pretty strong Dungeon Punk influence), and even "crystal spires and togas" (Esthar, Bevelle).

Whogie

^^^Hmm, I don't recall summoning being mentioned, but I hope you're right.

Level sync is a very welcome addition. Gives me even further confidence in this game that they're learning from FFXI (as opposed to pretending it didn't exist like 1.0.)

And it'll run on Ultrabooks? I heard it'd be more scalable, but that's just great.

Allard

People who are angry about "beta testing" FF14 have themselves to blame. I understand forming your own opinions on games, but look at the frickin' reviews for its. People didn't just say the game was poor, its an unplayable and unfinished mess. I learned not to pick up games on release from Brink so maybe I'm still butthurt from that (luckily, I got my 60 bucks back). And at least with Brink I could get my money back; I think I read somewhere someone payed for a few months of the game? You're not gonna get that money back.

Anyway, a realm reborn is looking pretty good. Read that SE gave a realm reborn to a game designer who actually plays MMOs. The interface is actually navigatable, this combat system looks decent, and they seem to have added elements which I think all Final Fantasy games need to even be called a Final Fantasy game, in one way or another: limit breaks, chocobos (pretty sure these were at least in the original game but they look more useful this time around), summoning, and a lot of famous FF enemies (I think I pointed out Behemoth, Coeurl, and Iron Giant).

The producer is a Dark Age of Camelot veteran (player I mean) and played Rift and WoW plenty before getting put in the hot seat to remake the game. Even by most western standards Yoshida is a very candid and articulate developer who has shown time and again that he feels like an actual player rather then just some developer wonk. Some of his statements leading up to and before releasing PR basically shows he thinks like a lot of us do (He questioned the PR department for using FMV as peoples first intro into the game and consequently delayed the FMV beyond E3 till it could be a bit closer to when he was ready to do actual gameplay demonstrations and then this week he followed that demo up by explaining why there was no live stream, he felt it looked too much like a standard MMO and wanted more of the 'official' media to accentuate it as a unique entity because MMO's no matter how good they are when you play them don't look that amazing looking from the over the shoulder angle). The limit break video at the end should be first official gameplay video that gets posted on the site later next week.

Any word on what the new jobs and classes are?

Or is it just speculation.

It was accidental but the PR group leaked at least one class/job combo ahead of time and I 'think' its going to get formally announced tonight in Japan, Arcanist/Summoner.

hteng

Banned
game is alot more fast pace than the current version. Though i hope it doesn't devolve into spamming and rotating skills.

Teknoman

Holy crap sooo much hype.

That new lvl sync system is a godsend, my biggest trouble with XIV was finding someone my lvl to play with. Even from the gaf LS it was tough.

Pretty cool in that it also lets high levels learn everything all over again, and even participate with new players in the early remade story quests without killing the challenge.

Cmagus

Glad to hear level sync is in there the game really needs it. Must say this is looking fantastic I say we just nuke 1.0 now and get this bad boy out.

Teknoman

Just watched the trailer at the end.

I really shouldnt have watched that trailer. The environments look amazing, the combat effects are really impressive...and damn...the music used.

Seriously cannot wait.

Allard

Is that gameplay trailer at the end available anywhere in direct feed?

Its coming out later next week online, a higher quality one is also 'likely' to be shown at the 25th anniversary presentation in Japan which goes live in about 40 minutes.

Top Bottom