• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: How Nintendo Is Taking Over The Japanese Video Game Market One IP At A Time

FoneBone

With exclusive deals coming fast and furious, rumors that Nintendo is attempting to re-acquire Rare in order to gain access to exclusive publish rights over the Banjo Kazooie IP should come as no surprise.
ahahahahahahahaha

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The article gets kinda funny when it starts wondering if we should all be concerned about Nintendomination ruining competition. :p

Quite a change in pace from the Nintendoomed press we've seen a lot of over the last year :p

Also seems like a bit of a fantasy angle here...

WillyFive

They are certainly playing hardball in Japan, but if it remains confined to Japan, then the Western world will still hardly care.

Tiktaalik

ahah Rare is worthless at this point.

The lineup Nintendo has for Japan is really impressive. It's hard to imagine them not taking over a large majority of the Japanese market.

The WiiU will totally and completely dominate Japan. No question. But Japan is the smallest market out of the three so what remains to be seen and I personally doubt is that they will take the rest of the world.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There are multiple factual mistakes in that article, but, yeah... It's an interesting view of things.

Tiktaalik

Meanwhile, Capcom’s Monster Hunter series has made almost no appearance on current systems outside of the Wii and now an upcoming Wii U exclusive.

This comment from the article is twisting the truth a fair bit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I dont see why they would even need Rare.. team is awful now anyways. Just buy the IP and have Retro do it.

HD Banjo and Kazooie done by Retro? Where's that gif of the woman fainting?

pantsmith

It seems to me like they know exactly what they're doing, which is attempting to win over the big Japanese franchises and giving them a place where they don't have to compete in the same cutthroat "AAA" arena thats been causing so many problems this gen.

I've often entertained a potential scenario where they convince Japanese developers to not go ahead with 720/PS4 development, for their own sake, and the Wii U (and 3DS) become "the" Japanese console of next gen.

I have my doubts they'll ever have the Western mindshare that PC/720/PS4 will have, but I dont think they care so much. By picking out cornerstones of the market they secure their own long term health and survival, which is way more important (see the PS3).

Honestly Rare and their IPs are worthless at this point. I'd just love to see Banjo-Kazooie in Smash and have their old titles on the VC. Microsoft can have their Kinect shovelware studio.

Controlling Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter is pretty nuts. I'm not sure what would be the next step in "dominating" the JP games market. Final Fantasy exclusivity? Well that won't happen.

They've already got their claws in the one independent Japanese studio I give a fuck about.

Oh, and Banjo would be nice to see in Smash. Where he belongs.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It feels like Nintendo is figuring out what areas they should and shouldn't compete with the others on. I think they're going to take Japan easily and I'm currently betting that they come in second in the next generation depending on how effectively Microsoft continues their current push.

"WHY DO THEY HAVE TO STEAL OUR GAMES? THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO, TAKING A BELOVED 3RD PARTY FRANCHISE AND MAKING IT EXCLUSIVE SO OTHERS CAN'T PLAY IT IS STEALING."

AzaK

Buy Rare, save Banjo. Shows up in Smash Bros so everyone remembers how awesome he was, then BAM, new Banjo game. Then world peace.

That reminds me, I need to connect up my Dad's N64 and play that.

In the end, Nintendo would not buy Rare just for Banjo. Unless they could get it for $10, or have discovered a secret within that IP to sell 10 million units.

Here's a crazy idea.
What if it IS true!? :O

Please be true.
Knows it's not

apana

Nintendo will not want Rare back and why would Microsoft sell off the rights to Banjo? They aren't exactly starving for cash.

Kamek

Rare is worthless now, but a new Banjo game on a Nintendo system would be an amazing thing. That game's world's and hub had an amazing charm.

They're not worth much.

Their IPs are.

Gonna put this out there:
Nintendo buys the Banjo-Kazooie IP and hands it over to Retro.

How does that sound?

Beautiful. Musical notes everywhere.............!

Microsoft fanboys: Nintendo stole..Banjo Kawhoie?

WillyFive

Nintendo will not want Rare back and why would Microsoft sell off the rights to Banjo? They aren't exactly starving for cash.

Also, giving them Banjo (and any other Rare IP) will be giving them back a megaton franchise from the 90's on a system that people would actually buy the games in.

It makes no sense for MS to give Nintendo stuff that is beneficial to them, even if it's relatively harmless to MS.

bomma_man

Why do people want Retro to make a new Banjo, when a lot of the appeal of Banjo was in its dry British humour that Retro couldn't possibly hope to replicate?

FoneBone

He's saying it's no surprise someone made the rumor. Not that it's real. Calm down.
But I won't lie that some of the facts he presents are dubious, which really hamper the discussion of a noteworthy possibility.
Parse what he's writing; he's presenting it as something that is supposed to be semi-plausible.

They are certainly playing hardball in Japan, but if it remains confined to Japan, then the Western world will still hardly care.

That used to be what mattered most. Things won't be like they used to, but this could be an example of Nintendo "buying low" by reinvesting in Japanese gaming, which given the talent there has to be considered undervalued right now.

They're probably taking the absolute best route to revivify the Japanese games industry - keep things at a level that isn't super costly to develop for, but with enough of a critical mass of AAA franchises to build a huge audience there. Differentiate on the interface, which is cheaper to do than by trying to out horsepower the competition.

I kind of hated the N64 & Gamecube. I had a Wii for about a year then sold it. But I like where they're going with the U, the heady days of the SNES could be coming back again.

Top Bottom