• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Getting mad about someone else making an OT? C'mon son.

WARNING: INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

PREPARE SCROLL WHEEL

-The Quaggen- They don't really seem that bad, but they sure took their time with the Trading Post.

Pretty well written review, I can't really find anything I really disagree with. With the exception of the Quaggen. Don't you dare hate on those poor little guys!

TheYanger

I know it has always been about that, but it doesn't feel "truly competitive" for that. It feels like it was designed for general fun rather than for the whole srs business mode it has taken on.

I think some sort of victory condition would add an interesting layer and help deal with battles that last weeks but are essentially over in days. (And in some matchups, hours.)

Edit:

For a restating and maybe another way of looking at it..

--In any sporting match, there is a set time that two people or groups meet, and they bring their best stuff and their best players. There is a limit on how long the match lasts and at the end there is a victor.
There is a set time. Friday, ~7pm EST, until Friday, ~7PM EST
--There are also sporting matches where there is a clear victory condition and once it's reached the match is over.
There are, but since this is time based that's irrelevant. The clear criteria is the score
--If WvWvW does not belong in analogies to sporting matches, then it belongs to analogies to endless wars, but endless wars have no victors. Still, people take these endless wars as having winners/losers, even though neither of the previous two parameters of competition I listed exist.
Except the parameters do. War doesn't have a score or a predetermined start and end time
--Even War has victory conditions such as Surrender or just being able to institute your law over another people, as in form government on foreign land and all that jazz.
Irrelevant since it's already been addressed that it is score based
Basically, if its just set up for fun and continual gaming, then they should just get rid of the point scoreboard. If it's meant for more serious contention, then it needs a second phase/victory condition.
It does? Pretty sure most sports only have one victory condition (score or time or something as you noted).

Cystm

Keep going the laughs are great :D You seem to think I'm ass kissing when it's nothing of the sort.

Go on.

Me: "You're kissing ass."

You: "No, I am not!"

Followed by:

This shit sounds like a childish argument.

Yeah...

Anyway, clearly addressing you was a waste of time. So, yeah. Done.

Back on topic:

This is my present Thief build, here:

nRmKp.png

1xUJd.png

It's reliant on stealth and catching targets when they are down below 50% health. Crit and Power, but at the cost of survivability. Not the deepest build in the world, but I have been having success with it.

Any good Thiefs here see anything wrong with the build? Any suggestions on a superior, hopefully deeper build?

Won

Yeah, I tried to "explore" some of the other options during the Tequatl fight today, but quickly went back to the zerg. That pinata wanted to be whacked.

I also haven't really touched my Mesmer because of this zerg issue. The class feels so inefficient compared to the greatsword Guardian in all the "kill waves of enemies" events. (so most of them) But maybe I miss something. My Mesmer is still at a pretty low level.

Dreavus

Yeah, I tried to "explore" some of the other options during the Tequatl fight today, but quickly went back to the zerg. That pinata wanted to be whacked.

I also haven't really touched my Mesmer because of this zerg issue. The class feels so inefficient compared to the greatsword Guardian in all the "kill waves of enemies" events. (so most of them) But maybe I miss something. My Mesmer is still at a pretty low level.

Yep, this is what annoys me most about giant groups of players when on my Mesmer. Aside from killing my computer, you just don't seem to get credit for kills because you can't get damage in. Staff has chaos storm, but it's on a long cool down. Staff shots are too slow; if the group is big enough stuff dies too fast. The Mesmer greatsword seems like the best thing for getting hits on a few things, since it's an insta laser, but the AOE is a bit unreliable (no way to control how the phantasm spins).

Ah, so this is where the 2nd OT is. Subbed.

Currently not playing as I try and process what to do next. Either I'll do more Bloodtide Coasting, or more harvesting so I can stock up on Garlic. I really want to get everything cooked, heh.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
New OT? Fair enough! I've been suuuuper preoccupied with NHL 13 coming out and being back at school that I haven't really had time to play :(

On the bright side, NO SUBS = WHO CARES IF I STOP PLAYING YEYOOOOOO. Plus, it'll help in not burning out from playing too much. good times. subbed again!

Ashodin

Hey everybody!

I won't be posting in this thread much at all in the pre-community period, but I just wanted to mention a couple things.

First, if you're in the guild (or wanna be), don't forget about www.gafguild.com! It's a really nice forum all around, and the best way to see upcoming events and such.

Next, you can always reach me in-game at Hawkian the Blade. I'm AFK a fair amount so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't respond, but I'm always happy to answer questions or talk about the game if I'm online so don't hesitate to drop me a line.

For questions about the guild or invites, you can always PM me here, on gafguild.com, or send me an in-game mail.

Finally, I want to publicly thank all the guild members I've run dungeons with so far, some of you quite a few times. By and large it's been a blast and I feel privileged and a little guilty to have gotten so many in before things were apparently nerfed hard.

Carry on!

I echo this sentiment, you can message me in-game as Ashodin Venteal, but I'm not going to post on this thread any more for the game, but I will answer any questions at gafguild.com.

It's been fun discussing with you guys, but this thread is a wasteland now.

Carry on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Go on.

Followed by:

Yeah...

Clearly you don't know what ass kissing is. The statement had nothing to do with ass kissing. You seem overly offended by something that doesn't matter. =/ Actually I see a ton of that in this thread.

Piecake

Go on.

Followed by:

Yeah...

Back on topic:

This is my present Thief build, here:

nRmKp.png

1xUJd.png

It's reliant on stealth and catching targets when they are down below 50% health. Crit and Power, but at the cost of survivability. Not the deepest build in the world, but I have been having success with it.

Any good Thiefs here see anything wrong with the build? Any suggestions on a superior, hopefully deeper build?

Dont play THF, but pretty sure that acrobatics and shadow arts, acrobatics especially, are the trait trees that most thfs put points into

could be totally off

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
you sure seem offended over something else that doesn't matter.

And that would be? Clearly there was a super easy way for everything to go down nice and easy. Yet there was a mega stream of bitching and crying and people being butthurt over something silly instead of just pming after the thread was made and asking for it to be fixed up. Or shit I would of been an ass and just posted my own OT again with everything in it afterwards if it was that big of a deal.

Fact I dont play on the GAF server I havent even bothered to join the GAF guild or gave a shit to try I play with my friends :). The politics of stuff that goes down has absolutely nothing to do with me. Sooo yeah :p

But yeah shit's over with now, I'll continue to enjoy the game just fine :)

KingKong

the personal quests in Orr are a real pain. just tons of enemies to slog through and even getting to the start is annoying because waypoints are contested and every single enemy has some kind of cripple or leash attack. on the plus side, the quest rewards are finally nice looking

Fishious

Getting mad about someone else making an OT? C'mon son.

Pretty well written review, I can't really find anything I really disagree with. With the exception of the Quaggen. Don't you dare hate on those poor little guys!

They seem pretty nice and they keep complimenting me with their "OooOO. Nice Shell." and "Quaggen likes you!" but I figure they have to have an angle. The way I see it, these cute balls of blubber have tricked an innumerable number of adventurers into doing their dirty work for them. Kill those krait! Gather those eggs! Get that guy out of the net! They're like the Tom Sawyers of the sea.

On another note there's one more con I meant to mention in my review, but forgot since I'd already written so much.

CON
-No Instruction: The game doesn't really tell you how to play or do much of anything. It's always tricky hitting that place between leaving the players lost and holding their hand, but GW2 offers next to no guidance. It doesn't help that most of the MMO space and many games in general are goal oriented whereas GW2 basically wants you to run and explore stuff. And it's not just for events. There's not much instruction on things like the mystic forge, crafting, map completion, dungeons, etc. Unfortunately whereas a traditional MMO could add this sort of stuff as quests, GW2's options are more limited. I hold the opinion that it is possible to play a game incorrectly, but at the same time it's the games job to teach the player the right way. So what if people are accustomed to a different style of MMO that's all the more reason it's imperative that GW2 show people how it wants to be played.

Piecake

the personal quests in Orr are a real pain. just tons of enemies to slog through and even getting to the start is annoying because waypoints are contested and every single enemy has some kind of cripple or leash attack. on the plus side, the quest rewards are finally nice looking

Yea, i like Frostgorge sound or whatever that zone is called, a lot more

etiolate

Banned
There is a set time. Friday, ~7pm EST, until Friday, ~7PM EST
There are, but since this is time based that's irrelevant. The clear criteria is the score
Except the parameters do. War doesn't have a score or a predetermined start and end time
Irrelevant since it's already been addressed that it is score based
It does? Pretty sure most sports only have one victory condition (score or time or something as you noted).

You're missing one important thing: In any match in which there is a score like Tennis or Volleyball or Basketball, the time limit is a set amount that is reasonable and in which the teams can assemble its best players and have them all be there.

This is not the case with WvWvW. You can't be certain who will get into the game due to queues, and you don't have a set limited time where the best from each side meet and face each other.

Instead you have a long period of time in which no "team" can continually be there or reliably be there. It'd be like having a college football game last for such a long period of time that random members of the student body are suiting up and playing against the JV team from the other side.

"This is not the case with WvWvW. You can't be certain who will get into the game due to queues, and you don't have a set limited time where the best from each side meet and face each other.

Instead you have a long period of time in which no "team" can continually be there or reliably be there. It'd be like having a college football game last for such a long period of time that random members of the student body are suiting up and playing against the JV team from the other side."

The team is your whole server. The fact that queues are spotty isn't really an issue with the format itself.

TheYanger

You're missing one important thing: In any match in which there is a score like Tennis or Volleyball or Basketball, the time limit is a set amount that is reasonable and in which the teams can assemble its best players and have them all be there.

This is not the case with WvWvW. You can't be certain who will get into the game due to queues, and you don't have a set limited time where the best from each side meet and face each other.

Instead you have a long period of time in which no "team" can continually be there or reliably be there. It'd be like having a college football game last for such a long period of time that random members of the student body are suiting up and playing against the JV team from the other side.

Actually, most sports involve a team twice the size or more of the number of players on the field. That's called the bench. You have a weak bench. We have a strong bench.

TheYanger

What is there to get? You're mad that over the course of an entire week your server is losing because it has weak coverage. Here's a secret, HoD has massively more people during prime time too, it doesn't even have queues all the time at night, our oceanics are just BETTER.

I'm sorry but "You don't get it" when your points have been legitimately refuted is just weak.

etiolate

Banned
What is there to get? You're mad that over the course of an entire week your server is losing because it has weak coverage. Here's a secret, HoD has massively more people during prime time too, it doesn't even have queues all the time at night, our oceanics are just BETTER.

I'm sorry but "You don't get it" when your points have been legitimately refuted is just weak.

The fact that you think I'm mad over the current matchup shows you aren't getting it.

Wallach

Analogies with team sports aren't really valid when talking about WvW. It is a form of PvP that's objectively not intended to be fair. It wasn't designed that way in DAoC and the few changes they made to the concept past the cut->paste job made it less so.

One problem of a victory condition in wvwvw would be downtime, where servers that have played in a match that is now over sit around twiddling thumbs waiting for the other matches to end. Current format means anyone can play anytime (barring queues)

Anyway, I just got back on after a couple weeks of to-busy and oh wow crafting now so much better. Discovered a bunch of stuff I could've earlier but never did due to the drudge of inventory management.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I need to apologize for not getting on around 9:30pm for the AC explorable. I was a little late. I think Vossler and maybe Achtius who wanted to do it then (I know Achtius wanted to do it yesterday but I was too tired to do it).

So, whoever that is on GAF, sorry about getting on late. I can do it now if y'all still want to do it. If not, then we can do it another time.

Ken

I need to apologize for not getting on around 9:30pm for the AC explorable. I was a little late. I think Vossler and maybe Achtius who wanted to do it then (I know Achtius wanted to do it yesterday but I was too tired to do it).

So, whoever that is on GAF, sorry about getting on late. I can do it now if y'all still want to do it. If not, then we can do it another time.

I can hop on if you guys need another dude.

Cystm

http://i.imgur.com/K7jpj.jpg

That screen shot looks great, and the armor is looking cool too.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I can hop on if you guys need another dude.

You'd be welcome to come - I'm offline now but I'll be online in a few minutes. I would like to hear from Vossler and Achtius to make sure they can come just because we planned it (again, not sure if Achtius wanted to do it today). That's potentially 4 (including you) and my 5th guy is not able to do it.

Westlo

Lol @ the butthurt in this thread, you would think tek called this "OT2|Honeymoon over" the way your salt is pouring out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom