• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magician Lord 2 : the game (almost) no one has ever seen

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd also wager that it's a game (almost) no-one ever wanted. Some of that early Alpha Denshi stuff... ugh.

Still, cool find.

Eusis

I'd also wager that it's a game (almost) no-one ever wanted. Some of that early Alpha Denshi stuff... ugh.

Still, cool find.
Sometimes sequels to average-to-terrible games end up being unusually amazing, the most extreme example being Street Fighter II. And going by screenshots this looked to be some sort of Metroid-esque game, which would've been fantastic to have on the NGPC.

Shiloa

I got Magician Lord on PSN through PS+ and it is one of the most abysmal games I've ever played. Maybe it was worthy at the time but crikey it's bad.

krakov

Magician Lord is actually pretty decent if you like really hard platform/shooter hybrids. Also, great music and fantastic Engrish. It's easy to dismiss though.

I got Magician Lord on PSN through PS+ and it is one of the most abysmal games I've ever played. Maybe it was worthy at the time but crikey it's bad.
It was an audio-visual showcase at the time, but even then, I considered it uneven and quarter-munching cheap. Love the sound and color and use of sprite scaling. Kinda wished for a NES-like modified and improved home console version at the time.

alstein

Still, cool find.

Magician Lord is well-loved among old-school SNK fans. I think the game would have done decently by that console's standards on its name alone.

Neff

Still, cool find.

Speak for yourself, the original's a classic.

Probably the most brutally hard game I've ever played in my life, though. The undisciplined need not apply.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Shame it never came out. A Metroidvania-alike would have really rounded out the NGPC library nicely, and would have been extremely novel in that timeframe. It's easy to forget how untapped the 'genre' was prior to the GBA Castlevanias/Metroids and the scads of games that have used similar inspiration since. Essentially, from 1994-2001, if you wanted a game like Super Metroid or SOTN, your option was to replay Super Metroid or SOTN.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Magician Lord - lol I still remember the EGM review of it. I forget which one it was but a reviewer said "the best game the NeoGeo has or ever will have."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I know in my heart of hearts that Magician Lord is not great, but I seem to enjoy it for some reason when I play it on Neo Geo. I'm sure this would have been much the same.

It was looking pretty interesting, dungeon crawling sidescroller with a map, huh? Indeed, the NGPC needed games like this. It had only three released sidescrollers, and certainly needed more. And that was looking promising, going by that article. :(

Margalis

Banned
I'd also wager that it's a game (almost) no-one ever wanted.

Why would any sane person not want a Magician Lord 2? The first game was amazing.

some other guy said:
It was an audio-visual showcase at the time, but even then, I considered it uneven and quarter-munching cheap.

I once watched a guy in the arcade beat it on one credit - he got hit exactly once. So it couldn't have been that cheap. The game has a lot of depth with learning the levels, getting and holding onto the right transformations, etc.

I absolutely loved Magician Lord. Playing that and Cyber Lip are two of my fondest Neo memories. I really wish they had made more 2D sidescrollers rather than being mostly a fighter system.

Watched some Magician Lord vids on youtube.

Game still doesn't look half bad despite coming out in 1992?

I remember when it was mind blowing visuals.

leehom

Loved Magicians Lord when I was a kid. Got to the final battle where you had to fight every boss consecutively and would always die on the last boss. :(

I loved the crap out of Magician Lord in the arcade, it was so awesome. It's always been well regarded, surprised to hear there are people who don't like it.

Top Bottom