• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of new Rayman Legends details

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
General/gameplay details

- Ubisoft really wanted to make Rayman Legends because of the GamePad
- Ubisoft Montpellier was one of the first third-party studios to receive Wii U dev. kits
- Michel Ancel says that the environment is very important in a platforming game, and the GamePad allows players to change the environment in new/different ways
- Up to four players lead Rayman and company through level level with Wiimotes or Wii U Pro controllers
- Fifth player manipulates surroundings with Murfy on the GamePad
- Murfy can cut ropes, lower platforms, turn gears
- Turn gears with the gyroscope
- Murfy can be mischievous as well
- It’s possible to take a health bottle from someone who’s about to take it and give it to another player
- Murfy can use the environment to wreak havoc on other players
- Ex: take lava and dump it on someone’s head
- The team wants the GamePad player “to feel like they have an identity in the game’s world”
- In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters!
- Temporarily switch to Murfy when you reach certain sections
- In these cases, AI will take over the other character
- Developers promise that the AI will perform flawlessly
- No mosquito levels
- New character in each world
- Barbara is from the medieval world

Improvements made to the Origins formula

- Platforming mechanics improved over Origins
- Ex: in Origins, if you jump-kicked while running you would basically stop in midair and drop down; now you keep moving forward
- Different structure this time around as well
- Travel to any of the five worlds out of the gate
- This choice was made so that players could have options, especially if they get stuck on a level
- Ubisoft considers each world to be its own legend
- Each has its own mini story and personality
- Each world also focuses on a particular gameplay mechanic and highlights particular skills
- Abilities are all available right off the bat

Olympus world

- Nintendo Power saw an Olympus world
- Level called “Swarmed & Dangerous”
- Tons of ferocious shadow creatures chase Rayman and the others throughout the level
- Murfy can hold back a few creatures at a time
- Only works for a bit before too many of the creatures appear
- Usually need to lose a swarm by using its own momentum against it
- Ex: drop off a cliff and quickly come to a stop on the narrow ledge below
- Creatures will keep going and run into the lava
- Can kill the creatures by triggering fireworks
- Level comes to a close as the creatures chase you into a palace
- Need to jump over a little purple minion who is scrubbing the floor
- Legends has a lot of humorous touches like the above
- In the game, you’ll come across a big brute with a hammer and shield to make him drop his guard
- Murfy can tickle his armpit to drop his guard
- Another Olympus world level: Murfy holds a magic shield over the heads of the other characters to protect them from Zeus’ lightning bolts

Magic Beanstalk world

- Nintendo Power also saw Magic Beanstalk’s “Orchestral Chaos”
- Stage has players jumping, swinging, and punching to the beat of the music
- These stages have the nickname “Platform Hero” within the studio
- Traverse a giant beanstalk in the level
- Thorn-covered vines will close in around you
- Drop below the clouds in the middle of the level and into a violent storm
- Rain pours around you, with some lightning strikes
- 8-10 music stages in the final game
- At least one per world
- Some feature original tracks made by composer Christophe Heral (Rayman Origins, Beyond Good & Evil)
- Also features remixed music like “Eye of the Tiger” in flamenco style with gibberish vocals and a little kazoo mixed in
- “Wo Hoo” from The 5.6.7.8′s

Underwater world

- Exclusive sneak peak showed to Nintendo Power
- Jules Verne-inspired environment
- Story will be more James Bond
- Secret underwater base
- Need to infiltrate it
- Levels play with light and shadow
- Need to remain cloaked or risk being spotted (and fried) by the base’s security system
- In one room, players have to avoid a sentry’s spotlight
- Another room: swim between glowing jellyfish
- Murfy will need to manipulate light sources or create shadows in some levels
- Ex: hold a discarded robot head in front of a rotating floodlight
- Rhythm of these levels will be somewhat different from Origins
- Not just a matter of running full steam ahead
- Some sections will have lots of traps and electrified water
- Will have to platform over mechanical objects, climb into an air vent, and navigate through a dark room
- The team didn’t just want to make an underwater world with just new fishes

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/100529/lots-of-rayman-legends-details/

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm not sure how it's helpful information that you control one of the playable characters.

but at least it sounds like mostly platforming, so that's good.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters"

Well, that's not what was said a week ago.

zroid

Banned
- In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters!
- Temporarily switch to Murfy when you reach certain sections

Ubisoft redeemed

- Abilities are all available right off the bat

Thank god for this. I hated waiting for upgrades.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Also features remixed music like “Eye of the Tiger” in flamenco style with gibberish vocals and a little kazoo mixed in

Oh mother oh mother oh mother

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters"

Well, that's not what was say a week ago.

Literally the exact opposite was said. This supposed change, if true, would make me wonder if there was any real intention to have the campaign as a mostly-non-Rayman affair at all.

zroid

Banned
This game sounds freaking awesome mang. I liked Origins but was slightly disappointed. Doesn't sound like Legends will be a disappointment.

liger05

my friend played it at eurogamer and loved it. he has no love for nintendo and said he had no interest in wii u prior to going but said he loved rayman legends.

Lijik

Jules Verne inspired water world sounds great!
- Platforming mechanics improved over Origins
I knew it felt better compared to Origins when I played it at the Atlanta Wii U event, but couldn't come up with a concrete reason as to why. Glad to hear i wasnt just experiencing a placebo effect

I feel like that was a lost in translation moment and the director thought they were asking if you were playing single player only on the gamepad, instead of with a classic controller or something.

boyshine

That was just a comment about Murfy control in single player taken way out of context. NeoGAF being NeoGAF as usual.

Lijik

I will miss the mosquito levels, they were a lot of fun and a good break from the usual run and jump.

The first four of them that transitioned you between the worlds and the one in the last world are super fun. I feel like the ones in the second half of the game kind of interrupt the flow too much though.

...and they've been making a big deal that Murfy is a real playable character, not just a touchscreen avatar. Hmm...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That was just a comment about Murfy control in single player taken way out of context. NeoGAF being NeoGAF as usual.

It wasn't out of context; the Ubi rep was asked the clarify how much of the game would be spent as Murfy protecting/aiding Rayman and he responded with the aforementioned phrase. Apparently this was misunderstood, but it was hardly reappropriated to fit an erroneous narrative.

Foshy

It wasn't taken out of context, Emile Morel, the lead designer, plainly stated that "half the game you will play as Murphy...maybe not half but a good portion of it".

These new details sound much better though.

No mosquito levels?

vader.jpg

Ah, well, it still sounds like a good, old-fashioned time. Will buy.

Kind of glad about the lack of mosquito levels, they were fun but I think I had my fill with Origins. Hopefully they'll make a triumphant return in a future sequel after I've grown to miss them. :p

Majine

Banned
Between this, Bayonetta 2 and that Lego GTA game, there might actually be some good 3rd party games on this system relatively early on.

galvatron

- Ex: in Origins, if you jump-kicked while running you would basically stop in midair and drop down; now you keep moving forward

This is huge for multiplayer. Trying to res someone in a chase level took far more coordination than it should have required because of this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Between this, Bayonetta 2 and that Lego GTA game, there might actually be some good 3rd party games on this system relatively early on.

Bayonetta 2 is not going to be early on at all. That was the definition of a "heres something coming down the line" trailer.

Rayman Legends is probably the only game I'd want to play at Wii-U's launch. One day, eh.

SykoTech

Mostly Rayman means more than half... So 51% as Rayman, 49% as Murfy

Nothing has changed lol

Exaggerations aside, you are right. The lead game designer corrected himself in the last vid saying that Murfy was exactly half the game but "a good portion".

So...yeah. This does not clarify anything.

Though it's great to hear that you keep your momentum after jump kicking now.

Linkhero1

Great to hear.

Mostly Rayman means more than half... So 51% as Rayman, 49% as Murfy

Nothing has changed lol

You're getting old. Your posts aren't funny.

Edit: Let me clarify what I mean. Don't assume anything until we have solid details. How hasn't anything changed if we don't know how much of the game is being played as Rayman?

Spierek

Damn, no mosquito levels. That doesn't change the fact, that I'm pretty hyped up for Rayman Legends. Too bad it's a Wii U exclusive; maybe if we bitch about it long enough, it'll get a PC/console port?

Rayman Legends is probably the only game I'd want to play at Wii-U's launch. One day, eh.
No love for ZombiU here?

Lijik

Because it implies that "mostly" can be applied to either Rayman or the other playable characters.
All of which except Murfy (who is given a different bullet point and treated seperately) ... play... just like Rayman??

Its such an odd emphasis to make, its like complaining to your friend that you have to be the blue toad instead of Luigi in NSMBWii or that you had the option to be Globox the entire game in Origins

Top Bottom