• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - new political drama - all 13 episodes up Feb 1st, 2013 on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Deadline: Netflix’s ‘House Of Cards’ Set To Premiere February 1, 2013
The entire 13-episode first season of Netflix’s first original series produced by Media Rights Capital will be available for members to watch beginning February 1, 2013. Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Kate Mara star in the political drama based on the BBC miniseries of the same name that takes viewers through the back halls of greed, sex, love and corruption in modern Washington, D.C. Spacey plays Francis Underwood, the House Majority Whip, who’s described as masterful, beguiling, charismatic and ruthless. He and his equally ambitious wife Claire (Wright) stop at nothing to ensure their ascendancy. The series comes from director David Fincher (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network), screenwriter Beau Willimon (Farragut North, The Ides Of March) and Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich). House Of Cards is executive produced by Fincher, Willimon, Joshua Donen, Eric Roth, Kevin Spacey, Dana Brunetti, Andrew Davies, Michael Dobbs and John Melfi. The one-hour drama is produced by Donen/Fincher/Roth and Trigger Street Prods. in association with Media Rights Capital for Netflix.

- Sepinwall with a few thoughts on the new series: Netflix's 'House of Cards' to debut all episodes at once in February
As a critic who tries to review every episode of the shows he likes, I'm not sure how I'm going to be handling this. But as a fan of complex "television" who can cite many, many series ("The Wire," most famously) where viewers ideally need to see a handful of episodes at once to figure out whether it's for them, I think this is a great idea. It's going to mute the overall conversation, because people will be watching "House of Cards," "Arrested," and whatever else Netflix tries, on their own schedules, rather than us all coming together at a certain time each week, but I think a lot of new shows benefit from an increased initial sampler.

Fienberg and I have talked on the podcast about how, ideally, HBO or Showtime would make at least the first month's worth of episodes of their new shows available On Demand at the start of the season. (More than that would defeat the purpose of getting someone to subscribe for at least three months to watch, say, "Game of Thrones.") There have already been experiments along these lines, like ABC putting multiple episodes of "Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23" up online before it premiered. If Netflix winds up being successful with this approach, I'll be curious to see if their TV competitors follow.

9OSZr.jpg

I'm not sure how involved Fincher is with this, but there's some very good acting talent on board. It'll be interesting to see how the model of releasing the entire season at once works out for Netflix.

EDIT:

- Trailer is up on Netflix's website
- Youtube copy of the trailer from Netflix

EDIT2:
New trailers on the netflix site.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone explain to me the injury that would inflict bleeding like that--or if it's just "blood on the hands", what way you'd have to touch someone who is bleeding to get the blood to drip and cover that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Someone explain to me the injury that would inflict bleeding like that--or if it's just "blood on the hands", what way you'd have to touch someone who is bleeding to get the blood to drip and cover that way.

Three large cuts: one on his pointer finger, at the top; one on the ring finger, at the knuckle; one on his thumb. OR his wrist is cut, and the blood drained down his hand/fingers?

Or maybe it's just a random blood splatter that looks cool?

Original series is great, Ian Richardson is commanding as Prime minister Urquhart.

HUGE STORY SPOILER:
Daaaaaddddddyyyyyyyyy!....... SPLAT!

The original is my favourite piece of British television. Its an utter masterclass of writing, of schemes and betrayal, while we conspire with one of the greatest British actors who ever graced television. I saw it for the first time this year - followed by its two sequels ("To Play the King" and "The Final Cut"), and they are as fucking magnificent now as the day they were first broadcast.

If this version can capture just some of the incredible qualities of the original, it could be very special.

But seriously, watch the original if you can. Ian Richardson is incomparable.

I mean, just watch this. A conspiring monologue directed through the fourth wall, as Francis destroys the career of a man who thinks he is his best friend. The audience is his only, true ally. Its magnificent.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Shiv47

Watched the original series when it showed on Masterpiece Theater eons ago, it was amazing. It'll be interesting to see how they updated it. Spacey is a great choice as the main character. I found the original novel after having watched the British version, and it had quite a different ending from the TV series.

jtb

Banned
This is looking fantastic, but I worry that the non-Fincher directed eps might suffer a bit, because goddamn that trailer is just so Fincher. And it's like... really dark. Runs the risk of being a little indulgent, but, fuck it, day one. Great cast, really great director... what could go wrong?

Also that accent is a bit irritating, but Spacey seemed to tone it down (or maybe I just got used to it) as the trailer progressed. And the constant breaking of the fourth wall could get old quick, but if ever there was a film that did that well—it's Fight Club.

Arment

This looks fantastic. I wonder if he'll break the 4th wall quite a bit like House of Lies. Don Cheadle does it pretty well and I can imagine Kevin Spacey doing it well do.

jtb

Banned
Will this be put online around the same time as Arrested Development? That's one hell of a one-two punch.

Arment

i'm not really a fan of the idea of putting up an entire series at once

kinda anticlimactic

will check it out though

There's something about the 1 week wait that changes a show. Sometimes for the best and sometimes for worse. If a season is 20+ episodes long, you get filler episodes that make you feel like your 1 week wait was wasted and now you're waiting even longer for some kind of meaningful story.

Sometimes the 1 week wait covers up flaws because the hype has you. Each episode is so desperately sought out that when it airs you love it no matter what. Sometimes you want that 1 week wait so you can mull over the episode, watch it again if you want, discuss it with friends, etc.

So I'm kind of curious to see how this works out too.

jtb

Banned
There's something about the 1 week wait that changes a show. Sometimes for the best and sometimes for worse. If a season is 20+ episodes long, you get filler episodes that make you feel like your 1 week wait was wasted and now you're waiting even longer for some kind of meaningful story.

Sometimes the 1 week wait covers up flaws because the hype has you. Each episode is so desperately sought out that when it airs you love it no matter what. Sometimes you want that 1 week wait so you can mull over the episode, watch it again if you want, discuss it with friends, etc.

So I'm kind of curious to see how this works out too.

Agreed. Especially shows built on suspense/reveal like 24, Lost, now Breaking Bad, Homeland... it's pretty easy to see the faults of those show's plots when you're not stuck in the week mindset, and even easier to get sucked in the hype machine while they air.

If this is just envisioned as a mini-series with a set start and finish and no chance for a sequel, I wouldn't be particularly worried (I'm not sure which it is) since you'd imagine that would give them a chance to really tightly plot it out ahead of time.

KingK

I hope this turns out really good. It seems to have a lot of talent behind it. I'll definitely be watching, and I hope it's successful for Netflix so they can start doing more stuff like this. My mom cancelled all cable subscriptions last year and hooked a computer up to the living room TV with Netflix and Hulu Plus, so more good shows coming directly from Netflix would be great.

Draconian

I'm not sure how involved Fincher is with this, but there's some very good acting talent on board. It'll be interesting to see how the model of releasing the entire season at once works out for Netflix.

I'm pretty sure he directed the first two episodes, didn't he?

jtb

Banned
I'm pretty sure he directed the first two episodes, didn't he?

Correct. Hopefully he does the finale too.

Wikipedia says its got a budget of 100m. What's the usual budget for shows like these? Seems pretty high. (Not that I'm complaining!)

milanbaros

Member?
Read the books then watched the tv series. Both were excellent. Will be interested in how the US version works. (Especially the second book, considering the prince is a main character).

Atrophis

Looks very interesting.

Put me in the "watch all in one go" camp. Some shows really benefit from being able to watch all the episodes together. See The Wire.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Looks very interesting.

Put me in the "watch all in one go" camp. Some shows really benefit from being able to watch all the episodes together. See The Wire.

This is how I watch most all shows. Let them pile up on the DVR and marathon.

I like this format that Netflix went with.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It just makes no sense to me. You can't really build up hype for it anything or get people talking about it for an extended time period.

They don't need to build up hype for it, they are already getting your $7.99 a month regardless and there are no advertisers.

I don't like the putting all the episodes at once thing. There's value in everyone being on the same page and talking about it as the series progresses. After they all air, then you can watch it all at once. Otherwise, it's basically a 13 hour movie.

Will definitely be checking this out. The original British one was one of the most gripping miniseries I can recall. Urquhart was such an awesomely hateful character.

Arment

I'll probably watch 1 episode per night but it's going to be annoying not being able to talk about the show until I'm done with it. That or chance spoilers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I like that all the episodes are going up at once. Not having to wait a week in between episodes is a treat. Just take a weekend and blow through them all.

I'll be curious to see if the show's episode to episode structure has been changed from the norm to accommodate the new distribution model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom