• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U Exclusive Modes and Features Detailed

The Wii U version shoots to provide the definitive local multiplayer experience.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on Wii U will include extensive GamePad functionality and a number of asymmetric multiplayer modes, lead designer Gareth Wilson revealed in an interview with Nintendo Gamer.

The Wii U GamePad has multiple uses during races. By default, the controller's screen will display a map showing the positions of each racer and where they are along the course. However, the player can also touch a racer's icon to get a real-time stream of the chosen racer's perspective, and if they lift the GamePad in line with the TV, the display will change to a rear-view mirror.

On top of this, the local multiplayer portion of the game has been greatly expanded for the Wii U version. Five-player splitscreen is confirmed, with four players sharing the TV as normal while a fifth player joins the action, viewing the GamePad. Additionally, there will be several Wii U-exclusive Battle Arenas, which are asymmetrical multiplayer modes that bear a certain resemblance to the games in Nintendo Land.

For example, in the Super Monkey Ball arena, players with Wii Remotes must drive around in their vehicles and collect bananas, while the player with the GamePad controls AiAi in his monkey ball and aims to squash the racers by rolling into them. There will also be a Shinobi arena, in which the GamePad holder, using directions on the screen, plays as Joe Musashi and has to chase the other players and tag them, turning them each into a Shinobi.

Finally, it has been announced that the Wii U version would be sold in two different editions. Those who pay a little extra for the Bonus Edition will receive Metal Sonic as a playable character and a bonus racetrack based on the classic Sega arcade game, OutRun.

In the interview, Wilson stated that although the game was not originally designed as a Wii U title, the team at Sumo Digital has worked hard to add in as many console-specific features as possible.

"Well, because it’s a multi-platform title, we couldn’t design the game entirely around the Wii U. In fact, the game was in production before the Wii U was announced. So what we tried to do was add features which complement the game in the best way we can," said Wilson.

"It’s been quite experimental for us – I think if we had the time over again we’d do a better job of it to be totally honest, but it’s all brand new hardware so we’re just trying stuff out as best we can."

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed launches day-and-date with the Wii U on November 18 in North America, and November 30 in Europe.

LINK

Edit: Original Article

nofi

"However, the player can also touch a racer's icon to get a real-time stream of the chosen racer's perspective, and if they lift the GamePad in line with the TV, the display will change to a rear-view mirror."

Quite neat.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really really hope they'll fix the framrate of the wiiu version because I'm really interested in allo these features.

kitsuneyo

Every time I hear something new about this game, it makes me more interested in actually buying it for WiiU.

And yes, someone from Sumo said this about the frame rate in another thread:

Right now we're pretty much in target frame rate bar some spikes with effects on certain tracks, and in some cases in 5 player splitscreen. We'll continue to hit those (and we have time to do so) not only on WiiU, but on all the other myriad of platforms we're on.

denshuu

I'm just stoked that there's finally going to be a good kart racer on a Nintendo platform again.

shots-fired_generic.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Launch day purchase for me. Looks and sounds great.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
IIRC, one of the devs was on Gaf recently saying that they were fixed.

yes, I've read it. And I've read also that now wiiu versions seems slightly bettern than 360 one, while PS3 build is stil ahead.
I really hope Wiiu version can be refined before launch! :)

wait. why do i want to buy this just because it has a mode where i can roll around in a monkey ball?

the last one was actually good right?

deleted

Delayed release until Q1 2013

For all Regions? Amazon.de still has it at 30. Nov.

If thats the case, I'll buy Transformed too. Looks great and from the gameplay vids, it seems like it feels more like MK64 or Blur than MKWii and DD. At least I hope thats the case.

I'm just stoked that there's finally going to be a good kart racer on a Nintendo platform again.

I'm going to have to agree. Don't hate on me too much but I was not a fan of Mario Kart Wii. I bought it and stopped playing it within two weeks, I just couldn't find the will to care. Honestly, and I haven't played Mario Kart 7, but I think Mod Nation Racers was/is the best kart racer of this generation by far. I played the hell out of that game, and I absolutely loved all of the customization that was available. I haven't loved playing a kart racer that much since Mario Kart 64/Diddy Kong Racing. Speaking of which, DKR is pretty much the main reason why I'm buying Transformed for Wii U day one, it just looks like too much fun.

addyb

I'm hoping this gets good reviews. I'm a big MK fan and also enjoyed modnation so if this is on a par with these it will be day one.

Forgive my ignorance but it has online multiplayer doesn't it? How many players?

Finally, it has been announced that the Wii U version would be sold in two different editions. Those who pay a little extra for the Bonus Edition will receive Metal Sonic as a playable character and a bonus racetrack based on the classic Sega arcade game, OutRun.

That is messed up. Seriously messed up.

Alpha_eX

So, there will be two version in retail? Am I right in thinking the eShop won't be providing DLC for this game, it's a strange thing to have to versions of one game on the market...

G0523

DaSorcerer7 said:

I could swear that with ALL of the versions of this game, Sega would be releasing the Bonus Edition as the first print run of the game, same price, then release the second, third, etc. print runs as the standard editions. Did something change? Hell, my pre-order still shows the Bonus Edition.

Bumhead

Banned
"Well, because it’s a multi-platform title, we couldn’t design the game entirely around the Wii U. In fact, the game was in production before the Wii U was announced. So what we tried to do was add features which complement the game in the best way we can," said Wilson.

"It’s been quite experimental for us – I think if we had the time over again we’d do a better job of it to be totally honest, but it’s all brand new hardware so we’re just trying stuff out as best we can."

Some people will hold it against the designer for this quote, but personally I think there's something refreshingly honest about that. I'd much rather read that than some of the other bullshine we hear from people regarding ports (or the lack of) for new systems.

I might reward them with my cash for it. Sounds like they're putting a good shift in for the Wii U version.

Boerseun

Banned
Wii U version for me. Reading these updates it's starting to feel like the game will border on being incomplete on other platforms.

Top Bottom