• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil 4: The most complete party ever thrown.

StuBurns

Banned
All the negativity surrounding RE6 (I haven't played it) and an urge to greatly thin my backlog has inspired me to return to RE4. This will be my third time finishing the game (GC/PS2/PS3), I bought the HD version a while ago, but only fired it up to take a look. I'm a little over ten hours in, at 5-2, the bulldozer bit.

I've played the game a little over the years, but it's been since 2006 since I've finished it, and I am fairly stunned at it's quality, if anything, it's more spectacular in retrospect. No one makes games of this scope, action games with this huge amount of geometry you cover, games that really feel like a journey. If asked to name my favorite game, it always tends to be something more experiential, Ico, Rez, Journey etc. But in comparison to traditional game experiences, RE4 is still in a league of it's own I think.

I have a couple of questions about the HD version, for example, the Ada campaign, Separate Ways, was built for the PS2 version, does that mean it's been straight ported to PS360, or was it raised to Gamecube standards for the Wii release then that version is used here?

Mostly I just want to invite discussion about one of the finest games ever made, and who knows, maybe dabble with what we want to see from Zwei?

Here's a random screenshot for your enjoyment:
ixzJUApEdkUWl.jpg

EDIT: A gaffer would like your help chaps:
I made an entire post on the the first aspect of difficulty changes in RE4 here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42714442&postcount=93

I loved writing and researching it. The next post takes a bit longer because I need savegames from all chapters on all difficulties of the PC version. Anyone who'd like to help me out there?

I started a fresh Pro run a month or so back and I just passed the bulldozer portion. Graphically worse than I remember (GCN version) but the game is as fun as ever.

Finally played the shooting gallery sections and picked up all the bottle caps. I always thought it was tough to score 3000+ but it seems pretty easy with a little patience and a steady hand.

Ein Bear

Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever made. A glorious, flawless masterpiece that makes me weep with joy to play.

I swear nobody at Capcom even understands how good it is. Since they seem to refuse to just make it again.

I'm pretty sure that Seperate Ways has never really been brought up to the visual standards set by the GameCube version of re4. I remember playing the wii version and finding it a bit less detailed, with things such as herbs looking less detailed.

Was the HD port just the PS2 version upscaled? Didn't want to triple dip if it was.

Art Direction was awesome. Running thru the countryside at night with the castle looming in the background had my jaw on the floor

Sora_N

I own the Wii version that I have not finished playing through yet, is there a point in me picking up the HD ones at all? I beat the GC one during release and loved it so much, just haven't had time to get into the Wii one.

randomwab

Resident Evil 4 is the closest a video game has come to an art form for me. There's just a case to be made for the quality of the game design and balance here that puts it on an entirely different level to anything else. Mikami is just wonderful when he throws himself at something, he's one of the few game designers around today who can include anachronistic and outdated gameplay elements for a proper, fitting design reason.

And I still think the game's best when played with a pad. I love the Wii controls, but nothing beats a pad for RE4.

Regarding Separate Ways, I believe they updated anything that was shared with the main game. The parts that are entirely specific to Separate Ways are still PS2 quality, however.

I'm pretty sure that Seperate Ways has never really been brought up to the visual standards set by the GameCube version of re4. I remember playing the wii version and finding it a bit less details, with things such as herbs looking less detailed.

The deal with Separate Ways is this: Gamecube assets were used in the Wii and HD versions wherever they were available - with the exception of the herbs, for some odd reason, at least on the Wii version. Not sure about the herbs on the HD version. For the parts that were completely new (the ship level, for example), the PS2 assets are used, not upgraded at all.

I have a couple of questions about the HD version, for example, the Ada campaign, Separate Ways, was built for the PS2 version, does that mean it's been straight ported to PS360, or was it raised to Gamecube standards for the Wii release then that version is used here?

Edit: I have played Separate Ways on the HD version of RE4, and it looks the same as the PS2 version.

Ein Bear

I have played Separate Ways, and the cut scenes looks jaggy.

I think the cutscenes for Separate Ways are FMV instead of being rendered in realtime. The PS2 version of the game just used FMVs for everything, since the game's visuals were generally downgraded.

The deal with Separate Ways is this: Gamecube assets were used in the Wii and HD versions wherever they were available - with the exception of the herbs, for some odd reason, at least on the Wii version. Not sure about the herbs on the HD version. For the parts that were completely new (the ship level, for example), the PS2 assets are used, not upgraded at all.

what about the main campaign

Did they use the GC assets or the PS2?

Squire

Banned
I LOVE RE4! In the same boat as you, OP; the RE6 controversy has me wanting to play through again, but I bought the HD version earlier this year and went all the way through.

def sim

Was the HD port just the PS2 version upscaled? Didn't want to triple dip if it was.

It's the Wii version without specular mapping.

Separate Ways is only a straight port of the PS2 version for all.

edit: it's a hybrid? huh

NIN90

Why are no games made anymore where the whole game is one continuous chunk with no cuts to new locations? I swear it makes every game so much better. RE4 and MGS3 did it wonderfully but their sequels replaced it with some globetrotting bullshit.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the cutscenes for Separate Ways are FMV instead of being rendered in realtime. The PS2 version of the game just used FMVs for everything, since the game's visuals were generally downgraded.
That would suck, the bridge moving FMV in the main game really stands out as horrid.

Bladenic

Haha I actually wanted to make a topic like this about a week and half ago when I finished my HD playthrough. I didn't even mean to play through it, but once you start, you just can't stop. But yes, incredible game. The shot the OP posted is my favorite chapter, only for the incredible atmosphere. Still need to finish Separate Ways and then do a Pro run for the last two trophies. One of my favorite games ever undoubtedly. RE6 wishes.

It's funny, when I first played the GC version in 2005, I really liked it, but I remember for some reason I stopped right at the first fire fight on the Island (think I couldn't beat it, I was pretty young). So I never finished it, it was a rental. I didn't play the PS2 version, and it wasn't until 2009 that I finally got the Wii version and beat the game, and my true love for it blossomed. My memories of it up to then said it was good but overrated. But after I actually did the Island and beat it, oh boy, I was in love.

benzy

The last RE game that still has a creepy, eery atmosphere. Leon's entire campaign in RE6 pales in comparison to the first stage of RE4.

RedSwirl

Resident Evil 4 is the closest a video game has come to an art form for me. There's just a case to be made for the quality of the game design and balance here that puts it on an entirely different level to anything else. Mikami is just wonderful when he throws himself at something, he's one of the few game designers around today who can include anachronistic and outdated gameplay elements for a proper, fitting design reason.

Pretty much. RE4 is one of the few video games to which I can properly apply the word "masterpiece."

I kind of want to play the PC version after hearing how RE4 has been tweaked and fixed by the community.

Some of the texture upgrades are nice. Some that have been posted in past RE4 threads were hideous. But the PC version, no matter what you do to it, has the awful low-poly PS2 models, which are intolerable.

Bladenic

The last RE game that still has a creepy, eery atmosphere. Leon's entire campaign in RE6 pales in comparison to the first stage of RE4.

Idk, I thought RE6 brought back some of the atmosphere from 4, something which 5 almost completely lacked. Leon chapter 2 is like Chapter 2 of RE4 mixed with the castle, it's pretty great imo.

RedSwirl

Probably the best third person shooter ever, and not because of controls or mechanics or technology. All of those things have been improved upon. It's the best because it feels the most polished and perfectly balanced for fun and intensity. That's something that, in my opinion, proves that there is indeed an art to developing games and it's not just all about tech.

Top Bottom