• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old/ugly games made more beautiful with mods

Before:

Minecraft-on-Xbox-360-1.jpg

After:

456262_452087158174904_85479240_o.jpg

334429_217488051714855_1085521962_o.jpg

Minecraft got hot.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
2nd shot is awful, 3rd is alright but probably isn't compatible with normal design since it has blocks textured as things that don't normally exist in Minecraft in order to have them already placed in appropriate spots before using this texture pack or whatever.

jbueno

SMH at the Minecraft mod, looks hideous. Only mods I prefer to the original thing, no matter how outdated they look, are the Oblivion and Morrowind ones.

ctrayne

Those Minecraft shots are really neat. Blah blah supposed to be simple; they look great. Kind of neo-PS1 funky 3D.

What mods are those, OP?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This right here is where someone should post some images of GTA4 ICEnhancer (or however you spell that). Looks freaking amazing, even though the game isn't really that old.

Also anything with Dolphin, even though it's not technically a mod.

LAMBO

Freespace 2 is a really good example. With that source code modification it looks like a new game and plays better than anything in its genre still. Even before the source code mod there were several campaign mods that introduced ship designs and other art that really made the game look better.

Morrowind was another good one but but I didn’t experience much of it. It took soooooooooooo long to install all the mods and after I was done a few mods weren’t working right so I uninstalled the game and didn’t really play it modded. I think there might be a easy way to mod it now, might have to check that out.

CMDBob

I'm gonna say Freespace 2.

Nasty old 1024x768 with the classic assets and bog standard engine:
4964-freespace-2-windows-screenshot-capital-ship-being-shred-apart.jpg

4966-freespace-2-windows-screenshot-beam-weapons.jpg

4968-freespace-2-windows-screenshot-dogfighting-around-a-cruisers.jpg

Awesome new full HD with remade, HD assets, shaders, mods, the works:
RScreen0087.jpg

RScreen0032.png

RScreen0054.png

Still my favourite space sim (until the new Chris Roberts project is in my grubby little mitts, anyway).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I quite like the look of the Sonics unbelievable shaders mod for minecraft. Adds nice lighting which adds to the atmosphere IMO.

lvqAD.jpg

But normally I just use the standard texture pack

ctrayne

the minecraft mods are kinda lame. ruins the game i think.

I see what you are saying, I don't think it ruins the game if it's a mod. I've always thought half of what's great about mods is bending the limits of what the game was designed for.

The Dark Mod might "ruin" Doom 3 if you want to play Doom 3, but it's excellent on it's own.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm gonna say Freespace 2.

Still my favourite space sim (until the new Chris Roberts project is in my grubby little mitts, anyway).

Wow, could you tell me what exactly is being used here? I'd love to replay it like that.

FS2OPEN and MediaVP?

I haven't played the modded Freespace 2 in over a year, but I refuse to delete it from my hard drive because I know that as soon as I do I'm going to want to play it again.

Great game.

I wish someone had written an novel to flesh out the universe.

A little suprised this is Minecraft. What mods have been used? Specifically for the rain to make the ground look like that (Wet).

Newest version of Sonic's Unbelievable Shaders and an unknown texture pack (at the moment).

I'm kind of surprised people don't like it. It's pretty obvious that this scene in particular is not meant to look anything like the original game. I would have hoped the advanced lighting, textures etc would have been impressive in their own right - for a mod at least.

Top Bottom