• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rice University teaching course on....Skyrim.....

Prestigious private university Rice in Houston, Texas is offering a course on Skyrim.

No, really.

For one semester only, students can sign up for Scandinavian Fantasy Worlds: Old Norse Sagas and Skyrim.

A junior level class taught by Professor Donna Beth Ellard, the course description is as follows:

"This course has two goals. First, it introduces students to fantasy as both psychological concept and driving force in gamer culture; and second, using these paradigms, it considers how and why medieval Scandinavia serves as a locus of modern Anglo-American fantasy. To these ends, students will read selections from Old Norse and Old Icelandic sagas (in translation) as they play different quests within Skyrim."

"While the course begins by identifying moments of intersection between the worlds of the sagas and of Skyrim (inclement environments, supernatural figures, mythologies), the course is not in any means meant to map the former onto the latter. The purpose of establishing these connections is to then consider how elements of medieval Scandinavian culture have been taken out of historical milieu and literary context, morphed into unfamiliar shape, and appropriated towards other fantastic pursuits."

"We'll consider the political saga of Skyrim, with its emphasis on Empire and rebellion, as pursuits made possible by way of Scandinavia in order to think through what Scandinavian fantasy worlds are really about and why they resonate with contemporary Anglo-American culture."

Sounds fascinating. Students best sign up soon as enrollment is limited.

Source

Ashler

Hope they don't teach on the PS3 version, otherwise it's more a nightmare than a Fantasy... Am'i'rite guys?!

chiablo

So a garbage filler course so people can meet the credit requirement for scholarships. Got it.

What's funny is that people will sign up for the class thinking they'll just be playing the game in class, but in reality they'll probably be writing 5 page fan fic papers every week.

rdrr gnr

So a garbage filler course so people can meet the credit requirement for scholarships. Got it.

What's funny is that people will sign up for the class thinking they'll just be playing the game in class, but in reality they'll probably be writing 5 page fan fic papers every week.
No? It'll probably function like a literature or humanities course except Skyrim will be used as a legitimate source.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Elder Scrolls has enough to lore to warrant a course, ya know.

Anyways, I'm off to scan Dorritos bags at 7-11.

dionysus

Yaldog
Rice alum here. I thought that was going to be one of the bullshit courses that get offered by the residential colleges (each Princeton style "dormitory" gets to offer one class a year) but I was shocked it was actually from the English department and a 300 level class. I think it was Sid Rich who always offered the beer tasting course.

I like the UT avatar's comments and the other responders not getting it.

marrec

Banned
Jesus I barely got through 30 hours of Skyrim as a recreational device. I'd HATE to take a credited class on that banal game.

ronito

I would love to teach that class.

"Ok, your homework for tonight? Walk home. By the way, I've set several bears loose in the areas around your house. Good luck."

Guevara

This is one of those BS classes that satisfies the "History of Western Culture" or whatever requirement. I'm sure it will be filled with people from STEM fields who just want the easy credits.

Huh, sounds interesting.

What I'd love to hear someone talk about is the (underlying?) nostalgia in the affection for Norse or Anglo-Saxon mythology - i.e. the bad guys are dark and ugly, the good guys are fair and elvish, and the women are often ornamental.

Actually, come to think of it, that's probably been said a thousand times. But it'd be interesting to think about why games/fantasy specifically exhibit that nostalgia.

dionysus

Yaldog
This is one of those BS classes that satisfies the "History of Western Culture" or whatever requirement. I'm sure it will be filled with people from STEM fields who just want the easy credits.

Rice has 3 categories of classes:STEM, humanities, and social sciences. If your major is in STEM, you have to complete a certain number of hours in humanities and social sciences. It is the Rice version of a liberal arts core curriculum. Basically, I am agreeing with you.

sflufan

Banned
I see absolutely no difference in using Skyrim as a touch point in studying representations of Norse mythology and using the Lord of the Rings series for doing the same thing.

scy

This actually sounds like a rather interesting pop culture sociological-esque course. That is:

...and second, using these paradigms, it considers how and why medieval Scandinavia serves as a locus of modern Anglo-American fantasy

That is an actually interesting question.

Granted, not sure at why Skyrim is needed here in particular as opposed to games in general that fall under this.

TheExodu5

Banned
No? It'll probably function like a literature or humanities course except Skyrim will be used as a legitimate source.

Yeah, I really don't see the issue here. For their purposes, Skyrim is a perfectly acceptable source. And hey, if it's more likely to engage students with the work, there's nothing wrong with that.

The Lamp

This is exactly what our students need to be competitive in the global workforce.

If this is sarcasm, a literature class about Scandinavian fantasy and lore probably wouldn't make you competitive in the global workforce anyway. Why not make it better with Skyrim?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This reminds me of a course in philosophy back around 2001 that used the Matrix for one semester to try and get concepts through to people. It wasn't a crappy university or anything. It was merely an attempt to use something from popular culture that most of the young adults understood.

"I couldn't finish my homework because the quest is bugged - the NPC just stands there and won't give me any dialogue options."

"Did you reload a previous save?"

"Professor, to reload to a point before that quest bugged I would have to lose 25 hours of work!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't give you credit for the work. As an alternative, for extra credit you need to build a complete manor, with all wings complete and fully decorated. Then write an essay on the family dynamics in Skyrim society, including the adoption process and the interaction between your spouse and adopted children, and how this contrasts with medieval Scandinavian societies. Then write 200 words on the advantages and disadvantages of the crossbow versus traditional bows, and what you would change to make these weapons historically accurate."

"What?! The DLC wasn't on the syllabus!"

"Take it up with the dean, adventurer."

Considering I just finished my Master's paper on treating videogames as textual discourse, I have to say this seems pretty interesting - and it's personally cool to see it coming out of my field (English).

It's a little weird to see people who spend likely above-average amounts of time on videogames being skeptical of a game's thematic potential. Regardless of what you think of Skyrim as a commercial product, its representations and lore might make a useful launching pad for a broader academic discussion, which seems to be the point of such a course. Also, I think it's important to work through some of the pragmatic classroom issues that Fong Ghoul implies, such as students' varying skill levels, appropriate difficulty settings, free vs. guided exploration, etc.

Zia

This is exactly what our students need to be competitive in the global workforce.

No, but this attitude is exactly what's wrong with higher education in America. College proper should be a place for purely intellectual excercises such as this, not trade school. Since college is now the norm we have way too many average kids flooding our universities, looking for job placement, instead of doing internships or going into trade programs, technical schools or community colleges.

Top Bottom