• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft patent: Kinect to detect # of people in room, disable content if too many

Kinect built into 720, requires legitimate angle to enable content.

Problem, customer?

Unless Microsoft wants to:
1) seriously improve the Kinect tech
and
2) deal with the massive negative PR when a family of 5 is told they have too big of a family to watch a movie together, even though a family of 4 is fine or whatever... or the situations where a pile of pillows "looks like" a person to the Kinect, or the myriad other problems that keep people from content they have probably paid for...

This is a patent that will lead to nothing significant.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I hate the Kinect for movies. When I was watching Breaking bad on netflix, Jesse said stop and the kinect stopped the show over and over. I had to mute the scene in order to move on.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Even if Microsoft could get it to work exactly like they wanted it to, it STILL would only result in people watching their content via some other means. All this will do is just scare people away from using your service.

*Turns Kinect around*

Problem MS?

It'd probably require it to see at least one person before it'd play the content. That'd make it more difficult to game the system. Also, a wide angle kinect built into a TV would sort this out for good.

I hate the Kinect for movies. When I was watching Breaking bad on netflix, Jesse said stop and the kinect stopped the show over and over. I had to mute the scene in order to move on.

I thought you needed to say "Xbox Stop"? Maybe it's confusing the words "bitch" or "Yo" for it.

This didn't actually happen...did it?
MS really should just bring out a tablet peripheral. Kinect don't work.

iVJNl84DDqWOB.gif

onQ123

well there is a up side to this you can now charge your friends $2 at the door to watch movies at your house & blame it on kinect.

Bgamer90

Banned

Never happened to me when watching media but I had something similar happen to me in Madden. One of the commentators said something and it caused an audible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's their content and they can do what ever they want with it..........................................…

You guys are seeing this wrong. MS is patenting it now to protect us from someone doing it. If they own the patent, no one else can do it without incurring the wrath of MS.

...or at least I'd like to think that's what they're doing.

i-Lo

Actually, if I buy a movie, it's mine, not theirs.

No, you just buy the license to use it.

Regardless, if the implications of too people in the room causes license infringement then Microsoft can get fucked.

Also as a plasma owner, I'll almost never use my plasma in a "well lit room" and so not only will the device be less useful for me (unless the evolution in tech makes it effective even in low light).

Bgamer90

Banned
You guys are seeing this wrong. MS is patenting it now to protect us from someone doing it. If they own the patent, no one else can do it without incurring the wrath of MS.

...or at least I'd like to think that's what they're doing.

Interesting...

consoul

On movie night, I'll have my friends hide behind pot plants or stand in the corner with a lampshade on their head.

DTKT

What if I sit on someone's lap? What if I'm shining a really bright light at myself, what if I'm sitting really far away, what if the Xbox is in another room, what if I'm streaming content?

Nemesis_

There would be so many ways to overcome this, I don't know why they are bothering. But it's embarrassing either way.

sixghost

What if I sit on someone's lap? What if I'm shining a really bright light at myself, what if I'm sitting really far away, what if the Xbox is in another room, what if I'm streaming content?

What if you slowly cool your body to room temperature and sit very still?

i-Lo

You guys may be joking now (and it'll probably never affect me because I mostly watch movies by myself or a friend) but this could become a serious issue. Feels unethical.

Top Bottom