• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Operating System Update Wishlist/Buglist

Stewox

Banned
I know it's been a few days but it's a good idea to keep a list of what should be the identified subjects for updates either bugs or popular feature/functionality requests.

*???* Legend:
Community = Issue or Wish reported/requested widely across the internet.
[nickname] = Entry suggested by specific thread poster.
[misc text] = editor's comment.

[???] Legend:
Critical = Top Priority -> Game breaking; Big Issue; Failing to meet standards; etc.
Possibility = Lower Priority -> A bug that does not make permanent damage, and does not always occur.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Feature & Functionality Issues/Annoyances:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System:

Flash & External USB Storage:

Menus, Navigation and Notifications:
  • Home Button functionality should not affect Menu navigation and should not auto-exit Apps
  • Invite notifications only work with Miiverse "search friend" function
  • Switching the "Wii Mode" icon location makes it disappear [Possibility!] *YoshiRider123* /AltFix: It jumps to the last slot of last page. /Status: Support has forwarded to nintendo

Miiverse:

Friends List:
  • Needs ability to search manually by name or group (if groups will exist)

Notifications

Internet Browser:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Stability and Performance:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stability Issues:
  • Random Lockups [CRITICAL!] *community* /Status: Nintendo has acknowledged the issue

Performance Issues:

• Slow OS Menu & App Loading [CRITICAL!] *community* /Status: Iwata promised update before January 1st 2013

Other Bugs:
  • TV Compatability: Overscan issues on older TV sets *subject being evaluated*

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Feature & Functionality Wishlist:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GamePad Behavior/Options:
  • LCD Screen Auto Geo-rotation Feature (delay options, sensetivity, off/on, etc.) *stewox*
  • LCD Screen Sleep Mode (LCD Shuts off after an adjustable time of inactivity(1m-60m), Home Button LED should be turned on to signal, pressing it would wake up) *weird*
  • Adjustable Rumble Strength Option *stewox*

User Profiling & Saves:
  • Game Save Blocks should be User-Specific. Accounts should therefore have it's own alloted number of save entries in-game in a Game Save Block rather than all users(accounts) sharing limited amount of save entries in a Game Save Block. All users would see all Game Save Blocks in the Data Menu - Game Save Blocks should display the owner's Account name in it's title as well as description for crucial identification.

Wara Wara Plaza:
  • Ability to set custom background wallpaper (+ adjustable transparency) *Skyfireblaze*

Menus, Navigation & Notifications: (incl. wara wara plaza)
  • Small Notification when Friend comes online
  • Option to disable OS background Music *kitsuneyo*

System:
  • Region-Free ... *cheesemeister*
  • Boot-up should show a cool animation instead of static logo *ideas will be posted at the bottom*
  • On-screen "Pause/Resume" while Downloading Data for System Update *stewox*

Flash & External USB Storage:
  • Folders *community*

Miiverse:
  • Wiimote Support
  • Friends List integration

eShop:
  • Pausable eShop downloads (games, patches, demos, etc) *stewox*

Pause Menu:
  • Overlay: GamePad & TV: Wireless signal strength indicator (good precision and response - no cheap bars) *stewox*

Internet Channel:
  • Wiimote Support

Apps Wishlist:
  • Twitch.TV *i want my starcraft 2 esports in bed!!!*
  • Own3d.TV
  • HBOgo

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

///////////////////////////////////
Subject Specific Ideas List:
----------------------------------

Boot-Up Animation:
pending

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Notes:

Web Apps: Nothing special, system should allow and easily make them possible, they would just require HTML5 Development as no flash is supported on the system though nintendo probably has other guidelines for apps as well.

Overscan: It could be difficult to come up with global overscan feature after release, games already released could require a patch, and it could affect performance as well, there are some posts with people who are experienced about this and they've said they have doubts about it as well. If someone has better understanding or alternative solution I will gladly fix this and update the list.

--------------------------------------------------
I will do my best to keep the thread updated, will also enhance the layout later, this was a quick post since i had to leave for a few hrs and to gather feedback to actually build this, but i will help research for valid entries around the web later as well.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
Temporary note: I'm from EU so i don't have the system yet so there may not be many good techy things i can add to the list, because I have to first get a hang of it to recall the ideas, but I don't plan getting it this year anyways, money for other things first, although it's very tempting, I also hope i'll get something more in the box, or the system allready pached up if I get the newer shipments.

Have they really opened the system up to allowing something like Twitch.TV on it? That would be neat.

Is the Eshop finally account based? If not, that before anything else.

You get an account, but it's tied to the console. It really needs to be fixed.

Seik

Banned
faster OS and Twitch.tv...

That would be fucking perfect indeed! :D

Oh and where's that Rayman Legend demo?

Overscan issue: I had this as well, but then I realized my TV's set up for this input was 16:9, changed it to 'Just Scan' and everything is perfect now, if this can help anyone.

Accounts and games should no longer be tied to the hardware.

Save files should no longer be shared among accounts.

3DS wallet and Wii U wallet should be shared.

Twitch tv would be great.

Something along the lines of what the 3DS has regarding streetpasses ant the puzzle piece stuff and the Find Mii stuff.

AzaK

Good idea to create a list. May I suggest that once it's pretty big, you fire it off to Nintendo some how. Or try and get some traction with gaming media. Without it somehow getting the attention of Nintendo, we're just waiting for them to randomly think of the things we want fixed.

Rootbeer

Banned
region free would definitely be a huge plus especially if NOA pulls that crap they did with Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower and Last Story again. So even if you don't speak Japanese or plan to learn it, you could greatly benefit from region free down the line.

My #1 wish is that they simply make the OS faster. You need only try to open and close a few apps to see just how bad it is. They have an entire gig of ram to work with, there's a lot of improvement they can do to get the whole UI silky smooth. Maybe they can even free up some of that ram so future games can use more of it.

More apps. Netflix, amazon, hulu, youtube... okay, they have the basics. Some of the apps are pretty bad (especially youtube) but it's a start. We need more! I agree with all the twitch.tv requests, it is fastly becoming an essential service for gamers. As soon as a new game comes out and I'm not sure if I want to open my wallet or not, I go directly to twitch.tv and check out the live streams. I'd also love the ability to live stream my own gameplay. That'd be the dream and I hope we see that or something like it.

Faster OS, more games, more apps, improve on what's already there (youtube needs to be entirely rebuilt, it's horrid)... those are my main hopes for now.

-wiiu virtual console (yea, i know the wii one works - but its missing features such as gamepad support)
-tvii will be cool
-better youtube app

Wii Tank

Yeah, this. The amount of overscan is nuts and I can't even adjust it for a number of things.

Absolutely. I have an old HDTV. So old that it doesn't even support HDMI. Aside from Zombiu I pretty much only watch to play with the gamepad when possible because it looks so much better and doesn't suffer from overscan. They let us adjust it in the e-shop and miiverse too so why not system wide?

Ridley327

-wiiu virtual console (yea, i know the wii one works - but its missing features such as gamepad support)
-tvii will be cool
-better youtube app

Not only is Youtube bad at making apps, but the Youtube functionality in the browser is far, far, far better than anything they'll ever come up with, and you can bring it up while games are suspended.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Better multimedia capabilities. Would love to be able to stream movies from my PC to the WiiU gamepad.

How about making the system region-free?

image.php

Jackano

I can't stop resaying, work on the Wii/Virtual console backward compatibility nonsense!
It's not even a bug fix which need rework, that's just working on it to start with.

NewFresh

• Faster OS, Game, App loading
  • Mobility with account (NNID) information
  • Overscan issues

I would love a lot of other things, but these are the three that bug me the most.

*Separate A/V settings for Wii mode; or further options so things like 4:3 content stretched into wide HD resolutions without pillarboxes doesn't happen, or Wii games that try to read settings from the console can better know to output PLII.

*A Pause for downloads that doesn't automatically resume every damn time you go to another program or the main menu. Interfering with game performance isn't the only reason one might want to pause.

*Making the friend list and downloads selectable from the main menu, just like the other icons you see when you hit the Home button.

Dineren

Banned
I'd like the ability to open the Home menu without being kicked out of the eShop, Miiverse, or anything else that has a significant loading time to launch. Most of my loading screens are going back and forth between those, if the HOME menu worked like it does in game, most of my issues would be fixed.

Randdalf

Redesign the Wii back compatibility mode for downloaded titles, so they can be downloaded from the Wii U eShop/copied from your Wii. In fact, redesign backwards compatibility in general so it doesn't have to go through the lengthy boot process.

Make it more like the 3DS in that you can go to the Home Menu whilst in-game.

Add folders? Or is that already in?

(this is from a future Wii U owner)

I suspect menu speed will be significantly improved in future, since the 3DS is pretty zippy.

Linkhero1

Meaningless when the account is tied to the hardware.

Still a unified ID that can be carried on to future devices. Basically what he was asking for. Of course Nintendo's pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff, but I'm sure it will change in future updates. I can't see why they would lock accounts to a console.

Dartastic

The console needs to have a consistent set of rules. As it stands now it doesn't. Take when you eject a disk with the game still running. The system should do the same thing every time. It doesn't. If you are on the Mario world map, it doesn't do anything. If you're playing Nintendo Land, it prompts you to put in a disk, but if you put in another game disk it tells you to put Nintendo land in. Etc.

Also, they really need to have a confirmation prompt for when you try to go to the Wii home menu while playing a game. I've accidentally quit my game too many times now.

Stewox

Banned
Good idea to create a list. May I suggest that once it's pretty big, you fire it off to Nintendo some how. Or try and get some traction with gaming media. Without it somehow getting the attention of Nintendo, we're just waiting for them to randomly think of the things we want fixed.

Certainly this will be recalled once the list get's enough in content and feedback.

• Faster OS, Game, App loading
  • Mobility with account (NNID) information
  • Overscan issues

I would love a lot of other things, but these are the three that bug me the most.

Can you explain more about your overscan issue, type of TV, modes, wide? etc.

stolin

One of things that I find weird and want fixed is the different behaviors of the Home button. When in a game, I can press Home, use any of the other shelved apps like eShop, Web Browser, Friends, MiiVerse. Then I can get back to the game.

But when on the Main Menu only, then run eShop or any of the others, I press Home to check time, battery life, whatever.. then I cannot return to the background running eShop. Pressing eShop again is a fresh start. It's annoying.

Well since the most important things were already mentioned I would like to add a minor cosmetic thing:

- The option to set a wallpaper for the Gamepad and possibly Wara Wara Plaza if they manage to add a wallpaper there too without ruining the look

Oh and:

- Adding a simple audio/video/picture player

:)

Keyouta

I like the ideas people have. Many should hopefully be implemented soon.

As a aesthetics option, I'd think it be cool to have different areas for them to chatter in other than the plaza. It could be a good way to promote upcoming games, or even just as optional backgrounds you can get.

Ex. Zelda Hyrule Field, Xenoblade Field, Mushroom Kingdom

I just kind of find the warawara plaza bland looking.

Brofield

I like the ideas people have. Many should hopefully be implemented soon.

As a aesthetics option, I'd think it be cool to have different areas for them to chatter in other than the plaza. It could be a good way to promote upcoming games, or even just as optional backgrounds you can get.

Ex. Zelda Hyrule Field, Xenoblade Field, Mushroom Kingdom

I just kind of find the warawara plaza bland looking.

This.

I hate everytime I see the systems setting wrench floating in the background on the gamepad and position itself to make me see naughty things.

Speed. I don't see why it should take 20+ seconds to get out of a game/app back to the home menu. Same for the 3DS. It's amazing how slow they are.

Definitely a screen size option. I don't get this, either. I've never seen a device running at 720p/1080p need a screen adjustment.

System level over-scan adjustment!
That and the random crashes while playing are the main things. Of course after that, an actual account system.

Besides that, I can't really think of anything else that I want off the top of my head except for faster loading and more games.

Top Bottom