• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K12 servers already shut down

I bought two brand new copies very cheap so my buddy and I could get our basketball fix on since we couldn't find anymore copies of 2K13 on sale. We couldn't connect online at all, simple Google search shows that November 1st 2K shut down any sports game not NBA 2K13 and MLB 2K12.

I would have figured they would have not wanted to be like EA and screw their customers. I get that the Terms and Agreement states that online functionality can be disabled but only a year later?

/rant

AlexBasch

I would have figured they would have not wanted to be like EA and screw their customers. I get that the Terms and Agreement states that online functionality can be disabled but only a year later?
FIFA 11/12 servers still work. :p

Lkr

EA gives at least two years. You're not missing out on much though since the 2k servers are generally awful

giri

It's pretty much a universally known fact that 2K are incredibly horrible at servicing their community.

But don't worry, they'll put out NBA2k14 next year with a release day patch fixing stuff that was broken in NBA2k12.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This right here is why online passes are bullshit.

Why do you have to "offset the continued network costs" of used copies because they "lengthen the tail of online feature use" when you are going to cut the servers off after a year or two anyway? It's ridiculous.

brumx

At least the wrestling games still work even WWE06 works online. I think APF2K8 works still too. Heck PSO on GC still works

This right here is why online passes are bullshit.

Why do you have to "offset the continued network costs" of used copies because they "lengthen the tail of online feature use" when you are going to cut the servers off after a year or two anyway? It's ridiculous.

Does the 2K series even HAVE an online pass?

fritolay

I was surprised this wasn't EA. However I puchased Battlefield BC2 direct download from XBOX Live and it is several years old. Some people still play it so I am glad they still have the servers up. Therefore maybe EA is not so bad if 2K12 is shut down. I would be ticked off if Madden 2012 was offline.

There should be some statement on the cover of server length as long as a company is not bankrupt. They put everything else on the cover, why not an online commitment?

LuchaShaq

Banned
This is what happens when you haven't had real competition since the 90s.

A bit pathetic that the original nba2k on dreamcast is still better than anything ea has made.

Greed I get, but laziness? Look, I know calling things lazy is all the rage, but you're not using this term correctly.

I think he is referring to the minimum differences between games, not the servers. Although laziness probably still would be wrong, so if you still meant that I apologize.

Bgamer90

Banned
Can't disagree more especially live 10 that game was a steaming pile of laughs.

Live 2004/2005 were really solid games all around imo. Very fun and had a lot of modes.

Live 10 wasn't as good as NBA 2K10 but it was a decent game that greatly improved from the NBA Lives during the beginning of this gen. Series was on the right path but then came NBA Elite 11 (lol).

masud

Banned
You wouldn't have been able to play anyway so no big deal.

Live 2004/2005 were really solid games all around imo. Very fun and had a lot of modes.

Live 10 wasn't as good as NBA 2K10 but it was a decent game that greatly improved from the NBA Lives during the beginning of this gen. Series was on the right path but then came NBA Elite 11 (lol).

wat

Bgamer90

Banned
You wouldn't have been able to play anyway so no big deal.

wat

Yes, NBA Live 2010. The last one before NBA Elite.

It wasn't as good as NBA 2K10 but it was a decent game that actually worked well online. Couldn't say the same for NBA 2K10.

Mike Wang worked on NBA Live 10 before going back to 2K due to the "new (terrible) direction" EA wanted with their NBA games.

Top Bottom