• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the SaGa games

Teknoman

It's definitely a SaGa game in spirit, but obviously not officially part of the series.

Alright, thats what I was thinking you guys were saying. Just making sure it wasnt one of those cases where it was planned to be part of the series, but changed at the last minute.

jorgeton

You can kind of see the evolution of Romancing SaGa PS2's combat system into Last Remnant, ie. weapon usage learning you new skills, etc. They feel very similar, except Last Remnant takes it to a different level.

Loved the SaGa games, Romancing Saga 3 will forever be my personal favorite. Saga Frontier 1 being a close number 2

And Kenji Ito's music is awesome.

Teknoman

That's the one I passed on and regret doing so now.

Its got alot of quirks to its system, but its pretty easy to understand/have fun with once you know whats going on. Of course i'm also a big fan of the soundtrack, art style, and cheesy voice acting...

I remember reading reviews about how the game was confusing/too hard/etc., decided to go ahead and pick it up for cheap, and was surprised at how much I liked the game.

I loved the first SaGa Frontier, I remember beating 4 or 5 of the scenarios. Shame I could never finished them all. I think I beated the robot, red, blue, asellus and blonde.

Can't remember why I never finished it.

The one I wanted to play the most
(and what started this era of localization horror)

was SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny for DS.

Really still stinging over not getting to play this one here.

Soobg.jpg

9WiYd.jpg

JSLjL.jpg

KyzVm.jpg

5ktG8.jpg

Originally known in NA as Final Fantasy Legend II

This came out at the same time, too.

it burns, SE

Aeana

The one I wanted to play the most
(and what started this era of localization horror)

was SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny for DS.

Really still stinging over not getting to play this one here.

Known in NA as Final Fantasy Legend II

Well, there is a fan translation of it at least.

Well, there is a fan translation of it at least.

True, but I haven't figured out the best way to play it. I don't have a DS rom card, and I haven't bought the game.
Really, I don't know how to get the DS cart and dump it and all of that and then get the english version onto the DS.

Rpgmonkey

The gameboy ones and the three Romancing SaGa games are fun. Never played the Frontiers or Unlimited. The Last Remnant is also really good, and like other people in this thread, I'd probably call it my favorite if it were to be counted as a spiritual sequel to the series and included among them.

For the most part, I appreciate the various quirks that make SaGa games stand out, especially among other JRPGs. What I find most interesting is how the series built towards a design where you can play through different scenarios, party/character customization is very open, and you have a lot of freedom to wander around and go places or do things that have little (if anything) to do with the main storyline. I think it's way too easy to get lost in a lot of SaGa games though.

The Last Remnant did keep the second and third aspects (and they even did it without making it hard to figure out what you were supposed to do), but I thought it would have been cool if they built the game and story around character perspectives in addition to Rush's.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just bought a Gameboy, what's the best FFL game to get? I noticed the third has a menu based combat but the first looks more arpg (which I kinda like).

Oh, I guess I'm thinking of Adventure, which was SD1 in japan...

Toth

I actually beat the pirate lady's scenario in Unlimited Saga, cheating with Gameshark the first time bc the battle was so damn hard and then winning normally without the burden of pressure. There should be medals for us suffering hardcore players!

jackal27

Banned
Final Fantasy Legend 2/SaGa 2 was the first classic-style RPG I ever played. I had played Final Fantasy IX before I bought it, but that was it as far as RPGs go. I loved that game so much and I still do. I have never finished it though. I just remember it being kind of confusing at first and thinking it was so cool that I could transform the monsters on my team. I also remember loving the art in the instruction manual and the fact that the victory theme was titled "EAT THE MEAT".

Later on I played SaGa Frontier 2 and loved the music and art style, but something about it just weirded me out. It felt so odd and unnatural for some reason. I still don't know why, but I would love to give another shot since I still own it. Still, I have nice memories of it.

I remember my friends hating Unlimited SaGa in high school or jr. high so I never played it, but I've always wanted to give the Romancing SaGa remake a go.

A few years back I bought Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa since I couldn't find a copy of the 2nd game and enjoyed it a bit even though it feels outdated. Ultimately, my favorite version of this game is the Wonderswan remake, which now has a fan-translation! I love this game's post-apocalyptic style. I suppose that SaGa 2 is pretty similar in that regard.

I also dig the art of this remake as well.

I played a great deal of the SaGa 2 remake for the DS, but I didn't really dig it as much I loved the original game. Maybe I'll revisit it someday, but it was right before the 3DS came out and since I was planning to sell my DS lite to pay for my 3DS, I never got to finish the game and I was kind of rushing through it since it was a translated rom on my R4 card. Still, it was pretty fun. I also think that I didn't really like the art style that much.

I've played a tad of Romancing SaGa 3, but not much.

Ummm ALSO, The Last Remnant is kind of maybe a SaGa game!?!? WHAT!? Should I play this!?

I remember that Final Fantasy Legend 2 (Sa.Ga 2) was one of the first JRPGs I ever played. Thinking back there were some memorable things in that game. Transforming into monsters was neat. The various worlds felt interesting. iirc there was some odd part about banana smugglers in a fictional asian section.I read that it was supposed to be opium, but was changed on localization. The best part for me though was the fight with Apollo . That took me days to beat. I remember distinctly shattering a glass sword on him for massive damage. And then to find out it isn't even the last boss.

I haven't played it since it came out, but I have some fond memories of this game.

Mxrz

Does Saga frontier 2 count as the most difficult jrpg then? See a lot of people that never made it far in. DW7 probably had me cursing the screen more at the bosses, but at least you could grind effectively in it.

I picked up both the PSX games at release, during that whole psx-jrpg-mania, but never spent too much time with them. Years later I went back and finished them. Saga 2 was a real bitch. I forced myself through it one cold winter while sitting next to a wood furnace. A strange, but fond memory in hindsight.

Ahhh, but my computer isn't that good! I can run Dragon Age Origins at pretty low settings, so MAYBE, but still... Is the console version really THAT much worse??

I had the XBOX 360 version crash so many times I had to stop playing it all together. That among other technical issues. Playing the PC version makes it feel so much better.

kaioshade

Ahhh, but my computer isn't that good! I can run Dragon Age Origins at pretty low settings, so MAYBE, but still... Is the console version really THAT much worse??

Console version isn't even THAT bad, but the PC version is just that much BETTER than the console. Fast Forward alone, and the extra graphical fidelity alone are worth it.

Krelian

I adore The Last Remnant. Didn't know it's a SaGa game. Of the games with SaGa in the title I played a little bit of SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 and didn't really like both. I actually have the second title and should give it another try one of these days...

jackal27

Banned
I had the XBOX 360 version crash so many times I had to stop playing it all together. That among other technical issues. Playing the PC version makes it feel so much better.
Console version isn't even THAT bad, but the PC version is just that much BETTER than the console. Fast Forward alone, and the extra graphical fidelity alone are worth it.

Alright, I'll see if I can run it on my 5 year old Macbook Pro using Bootcamp when I get home, haha (never again).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like how the last boss in SaGa 1 is
"The Creator" whose whole reason for doing everything was "I did it for the lolz"

The best part of Saga Frontier 2 is seeing
Gustave, who got kicked out of the country he was prince of because he couldn't use magic, destroys everyone with an army of Steel Knights. If you don't know why this is important, it is because most of the nations were solely using magic as their military force and magic in that world could only be used in conjunction with a weapon of natural origin. Most weapons were made of wood or rock.

Teknoman

I like how the last boss in SaGa 1 is
"The Creator" whose whole reason for doing everything was "I did it for the lolz"

The best part of Saga Frontier 2 is seeing
Gustave, who got kicked out of the country he was prince of because he couldn't use magic, destroy everyone with an army of Steel Knights. If you don't know why this is important, it is because most of the nations were solely using magic as their military force and magic in that world could only be used in conjunction with a weapon of natural origin. Most weapons were made of wood or rock.

SF2's story sounds pretty interesting from that little bit of info.

SkyOdin

I couldn't touch the last boss and actually had to stop playing. I tried everything.

Which brings me to my big qualm with the series: The laughably uneven difficulty. I never felt like I had any idea if I was where I was supposed to be because either the enemies were too hard or too easy. And there were times in the first one where I would cake walk through an area and literally not even be able to advance in the next.

Say what you want about the games, but they were designed poorly.

Here is the thing: normal enemies were designed to scale to match your level in most of the SaGa games. Most SaGa games utilize a mechanic called Battle Rank; in short, the more enemies you fight, the more powerful the enemies you fight become. Each dungeon is populated with enemy symbols that correspond to various different species of monster. For example, the fairy symbol corresponds to Mystic-type enemies. When you touch an enemy symbol and enter battle, the game cross-references the race of the enemy symbol and your battle rank, then generates the corresponding monster. Then, the rest of the enemy party is fleshed out based on your Battle Rank.

In other words, in SaGa games such as the Romancing SaGa games and SaGa Frontier, it is literally impossible to run into regular opponents that are not appropriately matched in strength to your party. Of course, there are things that modify this. For example, the Shrike Bio-Lab in SaGa Frontier is designed such that every encounter that takes place there is always a few Ranks higher in power than the party's Battle Rank. At low levels that means fairly tough lizard-men. At high levels, it means hideously powerful Dullahans.

The net effect of this is that for the most part, the game doesn't place any limits on where the player can go. No matter what dungeon you explore, then enemies will always be of an appropriate strength (even if that means that they might be fairly challenging).

The only catch is that fixed enemies, such as bosses, don't scale with level. It is entirely possible to waltz through a dungeon fighting familiar enemies until you suddenly run into a boss that wipes your party off the map. Fortunately, this is a rather unusual occurrence. Most powerful bosses are found either in plot dungeons, where you need to progress through the plot at an appropriate pace in order to open the area up, or in sidequests that have some conditions to unlock. There are exceptions of course, but it is pretty easy to figure out what bosses are fightable or not through a little trial and error.

I find the SaGa series' approach to enemy scaling to be quite liberating. It is a necessary part of having game design that is so open-ended.

It has an interesting story, but the presentation is rather odd. You get to select which year in the story to play. It jumps around like crazy from what I remember. I never knew who's story I should be choosing out of the two being presented. I know it allowed them to cover a lot of ground as far as the narrative is concerned, but it came off as incredibly disjointed.

jackal27

Banned
It has an interesting story, but the presentation is rather odd. You get to select which year in the story to play. It jumps around like crazy from what I remember. I never knew who's story I should be choosing out of the two being presented. I know it allowed them to cover a lot of ground as far as the narrative is concerned, but it came off as incredibly disjointed.

I think that was what was so confusing to me about Saga Frontier 2. I was like "Oh, so now I'm this guys son? Or... What?" Also, I think that I didn't catch on about steel not being used in this world so everything about wood and rock attacks was really strange to me as a kid, haha.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I absolutely love the series. It's obtuse as all hell (and with its fair share of ridiculous difficulty spikes) but thick with cool scenarios, nonlinear progression, interesting characters and unique gameplay systems. SaGa Frontier being my favorite, the variety of offbeat locales in that game make it one of my favorite RPG worlds ever. That being said, the only games I ever beat were the original on GB and Red's quest in SaGa Frontier.

Maxim726X

Here is the thing: normal enemies were designed to scale to match your level in most of the SaGa games. Most SaGa games utilize a mechanic called Battle Rank; in short, the more enemies you fight, the more powerful the enemies you fight become. Each dungeon is populated with enemy symbols that correspond to various different species of monster. For example, the fairy symbol corresponds to Mystic-type enemies. When you touch an enemy symbol and enter battle, the game cross-references the race of the enemy symbol and your battle rank, then generates the corresponding monster. Then, the rest of the enemy party is fleshed out based on your Battle Rank.

In other words, in SaGa games such as the Romancing SaGa games and SaGa Frontier, it is literally impossible to run into regular opponents that are not appropriately matched in strength to your party. Of course, there are things that modify this. For example, the Shrike Bio-Lab in SaGa Frontier is designed such that every encounter that takes place there is always a few Ranks higher in power than the party's Battle Rank. At low levels that means fairly tough lizard-men. At high levels, it means hideously powerful Dullahans.

The net effect of this is that for the most part, the game doesn't place any limits on where the player can go. No matter what dungeon you explore, then enemies will always be of an appropriate strength (even if that means that they might be fairly challenging).

The only catch is that fixed enemies, such as bosses, don't scale with level. It is entirely possible to waltz through a dungeon fighting familiar enemies until you suddenly run into a boss that wipes your party off the map. Fortunately, this is a rather unusual occurrence. Most powerful bosses are found either in plot dungeons, where you need to progress through the plot at an appropriate pace in order to open the area up, or in sidequests that have some conditions to unlock. There are exceptions of course, but it is pretty easy to figure out what bosses are fightable or not through a little trial and error.

I find the SaGa series' approach to enemy scaling to be quite liberating. It is a necessary part of having game design that is so open-ended.

Appreciate the thoughtful reply... Man those names bring back memories. I played through most of the scenarios in the first game (if not all of them), but the second game is what infuriated me. And don't even get me started on Unlimited SaGa... I think I died in the very first dungeon (multiple times) because there were so many enemies that could deplete LP before HP.

Ashodin

It's fuck awesome dude.

On one side you have a lineage of a man who can't use magic being shunned by the world (and getting revenge on them).

On the other side you have a family discovering an ancient evil that will devour all magic in the world (and everyone) if left alone to continue absorbing magic (in the only way it knows it can - through absorbing PEOPLE).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm not a huge SaGa fan, but I like 2 and 3 a fair bit. 3 is kind of an oddball in the series though, since it doesn't have a lot of the quirky SaGa systems and such, and it was developed by Square Osaka (FFMQ, Rudra) so that's not surprising.

I think they Kawazu-fied the game for the DS remake.

Teknoman

It's fuck awesome dude.

On one side you have a lineage of a man who can't use magic being shunned by the world (and getting revenge on them).

On the other side you have a family discovering an ancient evil that will devour all magic in the world (and everyone) if left alone to continue absorbing magic (in the only way it knows it can - through absorbing PEOPLE).

Alright I need this.

I have such fond memories of SaGa Frontier, why is it not on PSN yet?

And FF Legend II is one of my most perfect RPGs ever made, I've played through it form start to finish probably a dozen times, if not more. The DS remake not coming out disgusted me. Although I suppose it's my fault for never importing it and just playing it since I already know most of the game inside and out. Hmm, maybe now is a good time to do that?

Ugh, so not ONE of the Romancing SaGa games has received a full translation?

That's really depressing. I was thinking of finally trying them out.

Alright I need this.

Eh...that's some pretty high praise for the game. looks like it can be had for $12 used on amazon and it's probably worth that. However...

If you're expecting a gripping narrative, you really won't find it here. The story is doled out in bits and pieces, and since the nature of the game is nonlinear you'll find yourself jumping between the scenarios that comprise the two different plot lines at random- It's entirely possible (and likely) that say, Will's scenario might find itself 30 years ahead of Gustave's, spoiling plot events in Gustave's scenario. The whole thing can end up feeling pretty disjointed.

also *minor spoilers* chronologically, the game takes place over a LONG period of time. Several times during the game you will find that *surprise!* the next chapter takes place a decade or two in the future, and the character you were invested in is gone- occasionally permanently.

The game has a fairly high degree of difficulty, but there are unwinnable fights sprinkled throughout the game- and one or two of these will permanently kill storyline characters. It feels more than a LITTLE cheap when this happens, since you can never really be sure whether the fight you're having trouble with really IS that hard, or the game is just drawing out your inevitable ball busting.

Teknoman

I'm surprised myself. I remember messing with RS3 translation patch long ago...you'd think there would be a 100% patch by now. Just take RS PS2 and enjoy it.

I tried to play Final Fantasy Legend...one of them at least but I didn't get very far. I may need to try one of them again one day.

Vamphuntr

The SaGa series is a weird series to me. I love many titles of the series, yet I also hate many games in the series. There are still some I never tried too.

My Favorite are probably Romancing Saga 3 and SaGa 2 (FF Legends 2). Saga Frontier 1 is good but it's a botched and incomplete game. It's still strangely addictive. SaGa 3 is also good but it's not very SaGa like outside of the cyborg parts and monster meat. It plays mostly like a FF game and it uses many sprites from the SNES Mystic Quests (or is it the other way around?).

SaGa Frontier 2 is a weird experiment. Gustav story is more or less a visual novel with army battles while Will's story is more in line with a SaGa game. You also have the inherit system from Romancing SaGa 2 where characters from the first generation inherit abilities from the first. I didn't enjoy it much to be honest as it's very messy. The 1 on 1 battle didn't work well and it's also possible to save yourself in a corner!

I enjoyed the PS2 remake of Romancing Saga though I found it a bit slow and I could never understand how to play Unlimited SaGa. It was borderline impossible to understand for my poor little brain.

The only one I am familiar with is SaGa Frontier 2.

The game was weird, but way more ambitious than most games nowadays, and I can respect that.

My favorite element of the game was the soundtrack. he way Hamauzu used different melodic ideas throughout the the game made the soundtrack a very unique identity and ultimately makes it a very connected thematic experience.

One of my favorite OSTs ever.

Same. It's another unvetted Kawazu joint: potentially brilliant mechanics wildly blundering into each other or off into irrevelance, shortsighted placeholder balancing, and way way too much start and drop narrative. Gorgeous watercolor work, though.

The FFXIII OSTs are but a dim glow compared to the grossly incandecent shine of SFII's OST.

The SaGa series is a weird series to me. I love many titles of the series, yet I also hate many games in the series. There are still some I never tried too.

My Favorite are probably Romancing Saga 3 and SaGa 2 (FF Legends 2). Saga Frontier 1 is good but it's a botched and incomplete game. It's still strangely addictive. SaGa 3 is also good but it's not very SaGa like outside of the cyborg parts and monster meat. It plays mostly like a FF game and it uses many sprites from the SNES Mystic Quests (or is it the other way around?).

SaGa Frontier 2 is a weird experiment. Gustav story is more or less a visual novel with army battles while Will's story is more in line with a SaGa game. You also have the inherit system from Romancing SaGa 2 where characters from the first generation inherit abilities from the first. I didn't enjoy it much to be honest as it's very messy. The 1 on 1 battle didn't work well and it's also possible to save yourself in a corner!

I enjoyed the PS2 remake of Romancing Saga though I found it a bit slow and I could never understand how to play Unlimited SaGa. It was borderline impossible to understand for my poor little brain.

you weren't the only one. i don't think I've ever met anyone who's actually completed that game, or even come close.

Teknoman

Is it strange that I want to give Unlimited SaGa a shot just by people saying how unbeatable the game is? Seems like Sonic 06 where the game has a great soundtrack, but busted gameplay.

Not that i'd ever play Sonic 06...this is a whole different story.

I remember something about the battle system being based on a spinning reel, but thats about it.

@MUWANdo

Banned

The games are really difficult to hack and take a long, long time to playtest, so it's not that surprising.

Is it strange that I want to give Unlimited SaGa a shot just by people saying how unbeatable the game is? Seems like Sonic 06 where the game has a great soundtrack, but busted gameplay.

Not that i'd ever play Sonic 06...this is a whole different story.

I remember something about the battle system being based on a spinning reel, but thats about it.

Calling the gameplay "busted" is being extremely generous. It's one of the few games (and the only one post NES era) that I can honestly label unplayable. It's layered thick with obscure, pointless systems to do EVERYTHING, it's nonlinear but sidequests seemingly go nowhere, and the story (what I've seen of it) isn't anything to write home about.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Saga Frontier 1 is maybe my favorite PS1 game. Long gone are the days where they threw a game at you and left you to figure it out.

The community for that on GameFAQs was amazing as well. There were so many secrets and small crazy things to figure out in SG1, so I'd be checking the forum every day after school. It was exciting.

Top Bottom