• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2012 (Dec 17 - Dec 23)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS is a mega hit, business as usual for Nintendo. According to a GAME sales manager, it was also the case in France this Christmas, 3DS was a juggernaute.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
3DS is a mega hit, business as usual for Nintendo. According to a GAME sales manager, it was also the case in France this Christmas, 3DS was a juggernaute.

Source? I mean, link to a site.

Is there an explanation for why the Deluxe model has become the most popular one?Because clearly Nintendo didnt predict it.

New entertainment products are almost always bought by a majority of "hard core fans."

"Hard core fans" are more knowledgable then the normal populace towards said product.

The Deluxe's "value proposition" to the "hard core fans" greatly exceeds that of the basic model.

Therefore basic marketing would say the first movers would be heavily favoring the deluxe model at the current price points. Nintendo misjudged these facts in relation to production (where there should of been a majority of Deluxe instead of Basic).

Thraktor

I figured I'd update my graphs from the last thread, comparing Wii U launch to other consoles:

launchsalescm2_dates_800.png

launchsaleswk2_dates_800.png

launchsalespc2_dates_800.png

Of course, different launches in different circumstances, etc., etc., but worthwhile to have numbers to compare.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It represents a baseline.

Averaging 120k units a week until E3 should be good enough. But I agree, Nintendo really needs a big E3 to maintain sales in Japan.

What are the main releases in Japan? Is Monster Hunter out yet?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

As I said earlier--no shortages and it's the holidays. Those sales aren't great, especially for Nintendo in Japan.

Maybe people are waiting for more colors or better games?

I still think the console will be a success--I just expected much more out of the gate.

BriBri

3DS hit sub 20k sales just 2 and a half months after its release though it managed to recover a bit, weekly sales of 30k - 40k until June for Wii U is overly optimistic.

Code:
1 	2011-02-21 	374,764 (Launch)
2 	2011-02-28 	209,623
3 	2011-03-07 	96,463
4 	2011-03-14 	61,394
5 	2011-03-21 	50,710
6 	2011-03-28 	42,979
7 	2011-04-04 	32,910
8 	2011-04-11 	28,252
9 	2011-04-18 	23,038
10 	2011-04-25 	28,413
11 	2011-05-02 	29,149
12 	2011-05-09 	18,324
13 	2011-05-16 	17,240
14 	2011-05-23 	24,283
15 	2011-05-30 	27,357
16 	2011-06-06 	24,649
17 	2011-06-13 	40,649
18 	2011-06-20 	27,905
19 	2011-06-27 	30,233
20 	2011-07-04 	22,943
21 	2011-07-11 	46,637
22 	2011-07-18 	31,826
23 	2011-07-25 	16,415
24 	2011-08-01 	4,132
25 	2011-08-08 	196,077 (Price drop)
Gosh. Those figures really put the Vita Christmas numbers into an even more tragic perspective.

Sleepy

So no one has played the Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney game? Looking for a reason why it tanked-- concepts sounds awesomesauce.

As to the 3DS sales in France-- it is probably like this in the States, as well. Every major retailer had a sale on the thing. I expect December's NPD thread to be wild.

Plinko

He's right though. The console isn't pushing holiday numbers and it's just launched. Unless they have a bunch of Q1, Q2 games up their ass then it's going to dip even more in the upcoming months.

I fully expect Nintendo to be saving stuff for E3 to counter MS and Sony's new systems.

My guess is we see a full blowout of Super Smash Bros and possibly a Mario Kart (although I expect that to be a holiday 2014 title).

3D Mario as well.

zroid

Banned
We are in the age of handhelds. If Wii U can keep pace with the PS3, I think I would consider that a success.

I fully expect Nintendo to be saving stuff for E3 to counter MS and Sony's new systems.

My guess is we see a full blowout of Super Smash Bros and possibly a Mario Kart (although I expect that to be a holiday 2014 title).

3D Mario as well.

Judging by their recent history with E3, I doubt they'll have a great one. We'll probably see the new Mario game, Smash Bros., but it will all be completely overshadowed by the 720 and PS4. It will be like Wii U wasn't even there.

Jackano

What exactly made it a juggernaut? Paper Mario? Sounds wild.

Judging by amazon.fr, NSMB2 and Mario Kart 7 sells better than Paper Mario (and don't forget Layton). Nothing surprising really here. The latest Nintendo handheld is always a perfect Christmas gift. And people are only starting to make the DS->3DS shift since it's only the second holiday season for the 3DS.

Linkhero1

3D Mario as well.

I would love to see anything by Monolithsoft and/or Retro. I'm just hoping that their E3 presentation doesn't blow like the previous two. Considering some of Retro's employees were teasing things sometime earlier this year, my guess is we'll see their game.

What do you expect them to have for the holidays 2013 ? I'm honestly not sure what to expect next year.

The only thing I can think of that would pull numbers is Mario Kart Wii U. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

tmarques

|

Okay..so the 3DS, PSP, PS3, PSV and Wii all had increased sales this week over last yet the WiiU (being a new system during the hottest sales time of the year in Japan) saw a decrease because of 'demand contraints'? Is that what you expect us to believe?

I normally wouldn't call another poster names, but since you did to another poster (oh, the irony) -

Are you DUMB? Do you even understand the word DEMAND?

What exactly made it a juggernaut? Paper Mario? Sounds wild.

XL boosted it in Europe and that appears to have been maintained. NSMB2 seems to have done rather well too.

The big reason? Anyone buying an XL can get a free game download. The choices include 3D Land, Layton and Art Acadamy.

Mpl90

So no one has played the Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney game? Looking for a reason why it tanked-- concepts sounds awesomesauce.

As to the 3DS sales in France-- it is probably like this in the States, as well. Every major retailer had a sale on the thing. I expect December's NPD thread to be wild.

Mmmh, I have doubts 3DS sales in US will be that good. So far, I've seen a much bigger response to moves by European customers than US ones. Just think about how 3DS did in the XL week.

Nibel

Wii U sales should be better; they are not bad, but we are in the Holidays and therefore it's reasonable to expect more. Comparing it to the Vita and calling it a failure is stupid though: Vita is a fucking dying system, and that process didn't start yesterday. Nintendo proved with the 3DS that they are able to turn a system's future completely around while I still don't know what kind of strategy Sony pursues. If there's one company that is able to "save" the Wii U when shit is about to go down, it's Nintendo. You have still have a long, long way to go in the homeconsole space, Nintendo - don't fuck up your potential, show some big guns, do what you can do best: surprise people (in a positive way please :lol).

But those 3DS + AC sales?

ibppmkbOkgLepC.gif

GOD DAMMIT

And great to see One Piece up there - need to read the newest chapter!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well at least Layton vs. Wright managed to pass the 200k mark before disappearing entirely. It might be able to sell out that initial shipment eventually.

Seems people aren't too crazy about mashing the gameplay of them together.

Sleepy

Mmmh, I have doubts 3DS sales in US will be that good. So far, I've seen a much bigger response to moves by European customers than US ones. Just think about how 3DS did in the XL week.

I don't know. Seems like the "price drop" hit dead center of the buying frenzy.

Well at least Layton vs. Wright managed to pass the 200k mark before disappearing entirely. It might be able to sell out that initial shipment eventually. Seems people aren't too crazy about mashing the gameplay of them together.

Huh? It sounds great. Maybe Level 5 fucked it up some how? How were the reviews?

Linkhero1

Isn't Sakurai working on the 3DS Smash Bros, not the Wii U one? Can't expect that to save the Wii U until 2014-2015 at the earliest if so.

If I remember correctly, he's working on both with Wii U being priority. If they aren't able to get the Wii U one finished by whatever expected schedule they have, then the 3DS version might get canceled. I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate but it's from what I remember being said.

Spiegel

PSP is almost guaranteed to hit 20M at some point, right?

At least by M-C numbers.

I wouldn't say tanking, it's at its limit.

Looking at 5 random weeks, all I found was sub 20k numbers. It has been doing 13-18k most weeks. That's tanking.

I really don't get why Sony didn't drop the price and bundled some games when they are almost giving away those here in Europe (and it's working for them).

I mean LTD

Ah ok.

Linkhero1

They might need a lot more to "survive". I'm not expecting much from Mario Kart Wii U anyway.

Of course. I'm only basing this off how well Mario Kart Wii sold. Then again, it doesn't mean the Wii U Mario Kart game will do as good. They definitely need a lot of software for 2013. They have a year before the potential release of the next two consoles and somehow I feel like they're going to fuck this up.

HardRojo

The 3DS might turn into the beast the DS was, some great numbers right there!
The Vita... wow... it's really saddening to see it selling so low, the PSP is outselling it badly, Sony needs to do something during early 2013 to overturn the situation or else...
Wii U lol, need I say more?

PS3 has been tanking all year long (hardware-wise)

Really? Are we now claiming that a system at its limit is tanking now?

Mpl90

Wii U sales should be better; they are not bad, but we are in the Holidays and therefore it's reasonable to expect more. Comparing it to the Vita and calling it a failure is stupid though: Vita is a fucking dying system, and that process didn't start yesterday. Nintendo proved with the 3DS that they are able to turn a system's future completely around while I still don't know what kind of strategy Sony pursues. If there's one company that is able to "save" the Wii U when shit is about to go down, it's Nintendo. You have still have a long, long way to go in the homeconsole space, Nintendo - don't fuck up your potential, show some big guns, do what you can do best: surprise people (in a positive way please :lol).

But those 3DS + AC sales?

ibppmkbOkgLepC.gif

GOD DAMMIT

And great to see One Piece up there - need to read the newest chapter!

Oh, THIS is the right time to post this gif.

DrWong

They might need a lot more to "survive". I'm not expecting much from Mario Kart Wii U anyway. It should be obvious at this point that simply more iterations are not going to pull them out of this situation.

Mario Kart U with 2 gamepad support - because it's announced we'll taste to the 2nd gamepad sometime in 2013 - would be biggy... to me.

Thraktor

If I remember correctly, he's working on both with Wii U being priority. If they aren't able to get the Wii U one finished by whatever expected schedule they have, then the 3DS version might get canceled. I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate but it's from what I remember being said.

I can't see them cancelling the 3DS version, there's just too much money there for Nintendo not to put the game out. They might well delay it, but I'd be amazed if they cancelled a project that's effectively a sure-fire hit.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Huh? It sounds great. Maybe Level 5 fucked it up some how? How were the reviews?

Early impressions were basically that they took the Layton adventure and Ace Attorney courtroom and put them together.

The only impressions I heard from someone far into the game though were from Red Sun Gamer. Apparently later on they try to mix things together a bit more and add a bit more to the court segments but it doesn't sound like they change things too drastically. He really liked the game though.

Most seem to like the game fine and those that have mixed feelings are mostly those who seem burnt out on one or the other. I think there was also someone on GAF who finished the game and said he liked it in the AA community thread.

Thraktor

At this point I'm convinced they'll fuck up monumentally. We've been playing the whole "Just wait until <xyz>, that's when they'll announce the games" for a while now, I'm done fooling myself. Third party support is clearly not there, hardware is clearly not the "Dreamcast" of this gen (at least judging from what we've seen) and their first party efforts have been rather disappointing.

Do we really need an announcement to know that there's a Mario Kart, a 3D Mario, a Zelda, a Wii U Sports, etc.? Not to mention confirmed stuff like Smash Bros. The Wii U isn't going to be as successful as the Wii, but I never thought it would, and they're in a much better position to make a success out of it than they were back when they released the Gamecube.

Spiegel

Really? Are we now claiming that a system at its limit is tanking now?

PSP it's at its limit. The system is in its 8th year (9th now) and didn't get any "big" release outside of SRWZ2-2 and the other robot game I can't remember right now.

PS3 shouldn't be at its limit with all the high profile releases it has been getting.
Something is not working and I'd say it's the innability to drop the price of the system to <20000Y. But now it's too late anyway.

Sleepy

Early impressions were basically that they took the Layton adventure and Ace Attorney courtroom and put them together.

The only impressions I heard from someone far into the game though were from Red Sun Gamer. Apparently later on they try to mix things together a bit more and add a bit more to the court segments but it doesn't sound like they change things too drastically. He really liked the game though.

Most seem to like the game fine and those that have mixed feelings are mostly those who seem burnt out on one or the other. I think there was also someone on GAF who finished the game and said he liked it in the AA community thread.

Thanks for this. I hope the Japanese sales don't tank a US release. Also the game got 9/9/9/8 from Famitsu...I thought reviews from them translated into sales.

This gif needs to switch bullet bills for falling leaves.

But... keep the explosions.

LOL

donny2112

Very nice!

I would classify Wii U numbers this week as "not good" but can't cross over into calling them bad. Agree with Chris1964's comments about it meaning a low January (not Vita low, this isn't the Vita). 20-40K through February (ending February at the lower end of that range) seems reasonable with the current slate. Could see Nintendo dropping $50/5000 Yen from the price in August (like 3DS's price drop date) to prop up sales and give momentum heading into the next Fall with the 720 (and PS4?) launch(es). Should have much better games on the horizon by that point, too. As has been the case since before the Wii U was even announced, the coverage (or lack thereof) of third-party multi-plats will be the big thing to watch in 2013 for Wii U, I think.

tolkir

As I said earlier--no shortages and it's the holidays. Those sales aren't great, especially for Nintendo in Japan.

Maybe people are waiting for more colors or better games?

I still think the console will be a success--I just expected much more out of the gate.

People only see this.

Nintendo HW = 547.909
Sony HW = 135.679
Microsoft HW = 1.689

Why would Nintendo be in trouble in Japan?

Top Bottom