• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kansas demands that sperm donor pay child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/30/16254404-kansas-demands-that-sperm-donor-pay-child-support?lite
A Kansas man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple three years ago is fighting the state’s demand that he pay child support.

The two women raising the 3-year-old girl say they support the man, who responded to an ad they posted on the Craigslist website in 2009, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported.

The issue of child support arose when the two women broke up, and the couple applied for state services. Workers at the Kansas Department for Children and Families demanded the donor’s name and then filed a child-support claim against him, the newspaper said.

Angela Bauer, one of the mothers, told the Capital-Journal that she and her former partner, Jennifer Schreiner, support the donor, William Marotta, “in whatever action he wants to go forward with” to fight the state's demand.

When Bauer and Schreiner, the 34-year-old birth mother, reached a deal with Marotta that did not include any payment for his sperm donation, he signed a written agreement that relinquished all parental rights and held him harmless “for any child support payments demanded of him by any other person or entity, public or private ... regardless of the circumstances or said demand,” it said.

The state argued in court papers that because the insemination wasn’t performed by a licensed physician, the contract was null and void.

When the two women split in 2010, they had eight children, including some they adopted, whom they now co-parent.

Marotta, a 43-year-old mechanic, was dragged into the dispute when the couple filed for state assistance. The state insisted that they reveal the donor’s identity, saying that if they refused to do so, their daughter would no longer be eligible for health care coverage. The women reluctantly complied, the Capital-Journal reported.

The girl’s birth certificate does not include her biological father’s name, and the Capital-Journal said that he had no contact with the girl, other than receiving occasional email updates from Bauer. Both women adopted the girl, although they had to file for adoption separately because the state does not recognize same-sex unions, the newspaper said. This means that the state also cannot collect child support from same-sex parents.

Nemesis_

ipAEt9nVnXF4l.gif

that makes sense. If they didn't have any paperwork or contracts drawn up then he is no different than any other absent father. If you are going to donate sperm, maybe don't do it via craigslist next time.

Patryn

What does the insemination not being done by a licensed physician have to do with the contract he signed relating to the donation?

I have a feeling this is being done to discourage people from donating sperm to lesbian couples.

that makes sense. If they didn't have any paperwork or contracts drawn up then he is no different than any other absent father. If you are going to donate sperm, maybe don't do it via craigslist next time.

You missed the part where they DID. He signed a contract that stated he could not be pursued for child support ever. The state got the contract voided because the insemination wasn't performed by a licensed physician.

SolKane

Craigslist is a perfectly legitimate way to hawk your spermwares.

From what I can see, he essentially fucked her, then signed some note saying he relinquishes all parental rights. It doesn't work that way, anymore than it would for any one night stand. Just because they were a lesbian couple and he was a "sperm donor" doesn't exempt them from the same rules that apply to everyone else. The mother then tried to get welfare for the child, and when you do that the state wants to know why the absent father/mother isn't being responsible for their child, in which case they can ask that parent for repayment of the welfare being given to their child.

Riggs

Banned
From what I can see, he essentially fucked her, then signed some note saying he relinquishes all parental rights. It doesn't work that way, anymore than it would for any one night stand. Just because they were a lesbian couple and he was a "sperm donor" doesn't exempt them from the same rules that apply to everyone else. The mother then tried to get welfare for the child, and when you do that the state wants to know why the absent father/mother isn't being responsible for their child, in which case they can ask that parent for repayment of the welfare being given to their child.

Good you go pay it, this is not what the deal was. Legally you are correct I am sure though if they didn't sign anything, unfortunately.

Good you go pay it, this is not what the deal was. Legally you are correct I am sure though if they didn't sign anything, unfortunately.

I think the problem is that you open the door for every deadbeat dad to claim he was just a "sperm donor". You'd be surprised how many single mothers on welfare want to protect the fathers of their children from any financial retribution from the state even though they don't pay a dime or offer any support for their kids. The system is being taken advantage of enough as it is, this just opens up another loophole.

Riggs

Banned
I think the problem is that you open the door for every deadbeat dad to claim he was just a "sperm donor". You'd be surprised how many single mothers on welfare want to protect the fathers of their children from any financial retribution from the state even though they don't pay a dime or offer any support for their kids. The system is being taken advantage of enough as it is, this just opens up another loophole.

True , good points. Man I never want kids.

Zoe

Deadbeat dads don't tend to draw up contracts.

someday

Banned
If they had a contract then this is BS. This says a lot about Kansas' views on gay marriage and adoption. There can be no family without one man and one woman. Want this shit to end? Support complete equality for gays.

Zoe

Presumably this wouldn't be an issue at all if they actually had a procedure performed by a doctor, correct?

I think someday's post from above is on the right track. They would probably try to use the excuse that the donor wasn't anonymous then.

injurai

Banned
This is a stain the the trousers which is the american establishment of government.

Lincoln never asked for this.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
He should have just lets his sperm be dust in the wind. Hopefully his wayward son can carry on receiving health care. He should also fight fire with fire and sue the state or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom