• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan Made Jurassic Park built with Source Engine

strafer

In case you've missed.

http://youtu.be/lTPk4iO47RQ

ianlaughnbuv8.gif

Narag

Looks pretty neat. I was excited when I thought it might be some free roam thing initially then I saw the shotgun.

Slygmous

Awesome!

The Dinosaurs look janky as hell, but that's to be expected from such a ambitious project in it's stage of completion.

_machine

Combat doesn't look to hot, but otherwise it's certainly piqued my interest. Hopefully they'll be able to put something out in a reasonable timeframe.

xenist

Of course we should take into account that the Jurassic Park score makes everything look twice as good.

That doesn't look very scary. More like a six-foot poorly animated turkey.

A turkey? Imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say... no no. He slashes at you across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you.

So you know, try to show a little respect.

Ploid 3.0

My eyes watered up a little. I remember seeing JP for the first time, the awe of the realistic looking dinosaurs in motion around the small humans. These days it would take a lot to get us excited like that it seem. When the gameplay started showing I snapped out of nostalgia. Stomp on the small ankle biters, don't waste bullets!

Edit: Yeah that music is too powerful.

Darklord

Banned
That doesn't look very scary. More like a six-foot poorly animated turkey.

A turkey, huh? OK, try to imagine yourself playing this game. You get your first look at this "six foot poorly animated turkey" as you press play. It moves smoothly in doors, lightly, the character bobbing his head. And you sit still at your pc because you think that maybe your computer can handle it. Like It does with Half life 2. It'll run at 60fps if you don't move too fast. But no, not this mod. You turn the settings down, and it still looks good right back. And that's when the frame rate hit comes. Not from the dinosaurs, but from the grass textures you didn't even know were there.

A turkey? Imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say... no no. He slashes at you across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you.

*Applause*

You clever girl!

What about Trespassing - Trespasser Remake using Cry Engine 3
8284923505_c0cd915074_b.jpg

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/

Holy shit! o_O

Sentenza

A turkey, huh? OK, try to imagine yourself playing this game. You get your first look at this "six foot poorly animated turkey" as you press play. It moves smoothly in doors, lightly, the character bobbing his head. And you sit still at your pc because you think that maybe your computer can handle it. Like It does with Half life 2. It'll run at 60fps if you don't move too fast. But no, not this mod. You turn the settings down, and it still looks good right back. And that's when the frame rate hit comes. Not from the dinosaurs, but from the grass textures you didn't even know were there.
Well played, sir.

The M.O.B

Probably too ambitious for their own good, Source engine can not handle wide open detailed maps. Souce has barely any streaming technology so the entire level will be loaded up on start. Only way to get around that would be to lower the LOD threshold to disgusting amounts.

Unless these guys are master coders and are able to change the base Source engine itself, the mod will continue to run at 5 fps like it seems to when they first show off the jungle coming out of the tunnel.

UE3 or CE3 would have been the better options here but perhaps they choose Source because they are already familiar with it.

red731

This looks good ,but oh my god at that Tresspaser.

I will noclip the hell outta both games. I don't want to kill anything. I want dinoSafari.

Feature

Banned
How hard can it be to make a jurassic park with the far cry 3 island? The game would be awesome. A free roam jurassic park.

Sentenza

HL3 should be on a valve tweaked Cry engine 3 D:

Maybe they are working on a Source 2?
They are, it's not even a rumor at this point. It's confirmed by Gabe Newell himself at this point.
Still, not sure of what we should expect from it.
Valve never was too much into resource intensive stuff.

Jackano

Ahahah very good!

Top Bottom